Horizon interview

On that note, the list of items required to bring with you doesn't in include a logbook..
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant the offer letter/study packet. I interviewed mar 25, April 21 class date. Last I checked the paperwork lists your FCC, license, medical, passport.. Am I missing a page that lists a logbook?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant the offer letter/study packet. I interviewed mar 25, April 21 class date. Last I checked the paperwork lists your FCC, license, medical, passport.. Am I missing a page that lists a logbook?
If you're getting an ATP, you'll need your logbook. I don't believe you'll need it for just a type.

That makes sense. I already have an ATP, which would make sense them signing off on your 8710.. Thanks again!

No remarks during the interview, but my check airman in the sim triple-checked all my times - including the requirements I needed to get my PPL! Just be sure everything is accurate. I use LogTen and my paper logbooks to check them against each other. Sometimes LogTen has done weird stuff when adding my times
Thought... Did you have an ATP or restricted ATP at the time?

Does any one have the name/contact info for the individual at Alaska/Horizon that sets up the travel for interviewees? My interview is on Tuesday, and I will need to travel not later than Monday from Florida. I still haven't heard from them and we only have one working day left (tomorrow - Friday) to get it set up. I emailed my the recruiter and got an out of office reply that she won't be back until Monday.

Thanks for any help.

Does any one have the name/contact info for the individual at Alaska/Horizon that sets up the travel for interviewees? My interview is on Tuesday, and I will need to travel not later than Monday from Florida. I still haven't heard from them and we only have one working day left (tomorrow - Friday) to get it set up. I emailed my the recruiter and got an out of office reply that she won't be back until Monday.

Thanks for any help.
I'll PM you later tonight with a number. You'll be interviewing with one of my good buddies on Tuesday.

Horizon must be hiring a bunch of new pilots right now. It seems every week a group of people in suits are in the Frasca, good to see! Best of luck to all that have an interview coming up!

Yea they are! Few new faces every week!
Who interviewed today? Looked like a nice group, sounded like they took almost everybody. Hear one person didn't make it, anyone from here? Pm me. It's a hell of a good time to get on.

Got the job! Class date of 5/23 with four other great chaps (there were actually 6 of us, but one didn't make to an offer - I do not know why) that I had the pleasure of staging an "Occupy Horizon" sit-in yesterday. So far all the gouge mentioned recently was correct. I'm not talking "in the ballpark correct"...I'm talking nail-on-the-head accurate. Here is a detailed synopsis:

When invited for an interview, Alaska (AS) and Horizon (QX) will do their best to provide you with positive space travel to Portland (PDX) as well as accommodations in an airport hotel, primarily the Country Inn & Suites. Accept these accommodations, they are more than acceptable, clean, quiet, good breakfast for before the interview and great beer to celebrate with afterward. (The breakfast is included, the beer is on you.)

Here is how it went down:

*Took the 0715 Shuttle from the Country Inn & Suites to the Horizon Flight Operations Center. About a 5 minute ride.

*Within a few minutes someone will come out to greet you, give you a quick rundown of how the day will go and collect the completed paperwork you had been emailed when you scheduled the interview. In my case, the same recruiter I had worked with on the phone was there to greet us. This may not always be the case as QX has kicked pilot hiring into high gear, so there are many folks helping out with the process on these busy days for them.
(NOTE: Include an updated resume, and 2 (TWO) copies of your drivers license, pilots license(s), passport, medical, and FCC license. She specifically confirmed that these items were included before she took your packets.

*Next we sat for about a half hour. A few folks came by and introduced themselves some were part of the interview process, some were not and just being friendly (EVERYONE was friendly and very welcoming). A first officer came by (he would be doing the technical interview) and gave us a very quick tour of the facility, including the hangar.

*We were pulled at random between the Chief Pilots Office, HR, and Technical. It will be in any random order. You will (hopefully) be made a "contingent" offer at the end of whichever one you do last. The offer is contingent on: 1) Drug test 2) Background check and 3) the Simulator Evaluation.

My first was technical, conducted by a line pilot (first officer). He was very cool, conversational and puts you at ease. Expect to be given a set of Jeppesen plates for two airports, in my case it was Pullman/Moscow (PUW) and Lewiston, ID (LWS) this is a real route Horizon flies. You will also be given a sheet with weather and NOTAMs for both airports. You'll be asked to read (and intelligently correlate to your flight) the METARs, TAFs, and NOTAMs. You will also be asked to interpret MOCA, MORA, and asked a question or two about IFR practices (i.e. "You're cleared for the approach at "X" spot, but you do not receive a clearance a further descent clearance. When can you start down?) A few more questions about Jepp En Route Chart symbology, airspace, etc... Then some very general questions (no calculations or "stump the chump" questions, just basic, general answers) on takeoff performance, and V-speeds with real-world explanations. Not much else that I remember. Total time in this phase was about 25-30 minutes.

After another short wait I was invited back for the Chief Pilots interview. This was a very pleasant chat that consisted of the requisite TMAAT you did something that reflected well on the company, or that you did something in line with security protocol, or that you dealt with an irate customer. In my case this session was with the chief pilot and another management level individual. During this chat they will go through your logbooks (no comments were made on my logbooks, and my are no example of perfection. It's an honest logbook, but not perfect or pretty so don't freak about this. Get your times right, and correlate them to your addendum). A discussion of your background, maybe some "small talk", or what appears to be small talk, about the airplane you've been flying (perhaps to see how confident or how well you know your airplane. In my case we talked about the brakes on the Citation XLS+. He may or may not have known if I was right, but he shared what he knew about the brakes on the Q400 and how they compared (both aircraft have VERY expensive composite brakes that have plenty of quirks to talk about). In any case it was pleasant, friendly, and not intimidating in any way. You will be asked "Why Horizon?" and I gathered that regardless of your answer they can tell if you really embrace the uniqueness of Horizon (and Alaska) and if you really want to be there or if your just going for a job with a regional. Horizon is not just another regional airline. (I have been an employee of Horizon and I know this first hand. It's not a rose garden, but they are head and shoulders above the rest).

My last sit-down was with HR, again with the same gal that I connected with to schedule my interview, Brandi. She is very nice, not intimidating and has no surprises. This is the easiest of sessions. Are you a felon? Ever been arrested? Fail a drug test? Refuse a drug test? Are you ineligible for rehire at any former employers? Blah blah blah...A few TMAAT questions (I got lucky and had exactly the same as I had in the Chief Pilot interview, so I used the same answers. You are not expected to use the same answers if this happens to you, but it was convenient and I was getting tired. Be honest, share your experience(s) and be yourself. At the end of this interview I was made a contingent offer by Brandi. This was contingent upon the drug test (which immediately followed this offer), background check, and the sim evaluation.

Next, as I said was the pee test, finger prints and an ID photog.

Sit around for an hour or so, box lunches come (VERY, VERY GOOD BOX LUNCHES. 6 years as a corporate pilot for a very generous employer and I've never had a box lunch this good). Enjoy those, relax a little bit (or try too, because you know whats next) then eventually another FO shows up to take the group to Hillsboro Aviation's Troutdale airport facility for the sim eval. Before you leave you're given a profile and an approach plate. The sim is a Frasca 142 configured as a Cessna 421. As far as Frasca's go, this one flew quite nicely, but it's still a Frasca.

Jeppesen Approach plate is the ILS 10R PDX. On the profile you're given speeds and a specific list of what you should not expect. No surprises, emergencies, checklists, tricks or "gotcha's". It explicitly says that they want you to be successful on this, what it does not say is what you will do in the sim. In our case it was as follows:

Depart PDX 10R Rwy Hdg. Climb to 2,000. Right turn to Hdg 190. Climb to 3,000, Right turn Hdg 280 (downwind), descend and maintain 2,500 then 2,000. Vectors Base leg, Vectors for a 30 degree intercept, cleared for ILS 10R. We were be briefed as a group on the use of flaps and gear before our ride, the speeds given on the profile will be clear and easy to remember. Fly the ILS to minimums, go missed (w/ alternate missed approach instructions - Rwy Hdg to 1,500). After you level sim freezes, and you're done.

Once everyone is done they take you back to Flight Ops and pull you in one at a time and make you an offer (or not). It appears all but one of us got hired (5 out of 6). If you're hired you're given a packet of items (limitations, memory items and call outs to have memorized prior to your class date). Having personally been through a FlightSafety type rating course, don't slouch on memorizing memory items, limitations and flows. My type rating course was Part 91 at FlightSafety, this will be Part 121...get my drift?

All in all it was a VERY positive experience, a good day and I enjoyed every conversation I had that day. Everyone was very nice and welcoming. It was a very LONG day indeed and a beer tasted really good at the end. Congrats to my fellow new hires! Can't wait for class to start.

Their website says "Please apply on or before: May 30, 2014".

I'd like to apply but won't have the minimum hours until about mid June, MAYBE with some luck by the end of May. Anyone have any inside info about hiring after the deadline?

Their website says "Please apply on or before: May 30, 2014".

I'd like to apply but won't have the minimum hours until about mid June, MAYBE with some luck by the end of May. Anyone have any inside info about hiring after the deadline?

Hopefully they will extend the hiring. Maybe that particular job posting is set to expire at the end of May?

12 pilots every 2 weeks is the goal boys and girls...get those apps in and keep updating them.

For those of y'all in GS right now, once you get to SEA for the sim, let me and @pete2800 know...sounds like pilot briefing time for sure.

Anchorage is full. Last I heard they stopped asking if you'd take that base. Everyone is getting their first choice base so far. Hiring will slow down for the summer, we are pretty backed up with training/ioe. Fall is when it's said to pick back up. Not sure if it'll stop for the summer or just slow down.
With that said, sea and pdx haven't been historically awarded, the last round(s) of classes was the first time in a long time. But, things are moving fairly quickly, so good chances of getting those bases if you want them.

Anchorage is full. Last I heard they stopped asking if you'd take that base. Everyone is getting their first choice base so far. Hiring will slow down for the summer, we are pretty backed up with training/ioe. Fall is when it's said to pick back up. Not sure if it'll stop for the summer or just slow down.
With that said, sea and pdx haven't been historically awarded, the last round(s) of classes was the first time in a long time. But, things are moving fairly quickly, so good chances of getting those bases if you want them.
Is Wenatchee a base yet? I'll take that :p

Back