Looking Into Dispatch

Austin

Hey everyone,

I have been a forum "spectator" for the last couple weeks, have read every post on this forum concerning dispatch, and have decided that becoming a dispatcher is something that I would be interested in. I am 25 years old, able to relocate to anywhere in the nation, and have an associate degree in math from a state university.

I have been looking into Sheffield and Ifod and would begin the 5-week program in Sept. or Oct. I guess that my real question is, assuming that I make it through dispatcher training and get certified, how are my chances of landing a fairly quick job looking? I know that I may start out "working for peanuts" and that isn't an issue. I am just looking to get my foot in the door at any regional and put my time in before being able to move up.

Anyone have an estimated average amount of time that qualified job-seekers spend looking for a job before landing their first gig? Perhaps this question is impossible to answer but I thought that I would try asking it anyway!

Thanks guys/gals for any imput!

Austin

Being able to relocate is definitely a positive. I had no airline experience when I got my first job, and I found a position after approximately two months of looking. It can be a bit discouraging at times, but then you might hear from a bunch of carriers at once. Everyone's mileage tends to vary, some people even have offers before they finish school. I would say you should give yourself a few months to find something though. Also, once you start working, you might want to work on getting a bachelor's degree - some majors like to hire people with bachelor's degrees and higher. This isn't a universal rule by any means as the major carrier where I'm at has hired people who have no college all the way up to people who have master's degrees. After you get some experience at a regional, though, you will find that your next round of job-hunting progresses a lot more quickly since you have experience. BTW, I recommend Sheffield if you have a choice, but I am a graduate so I'm probably a bit prejudiced. Several people on this board have also said they liked IFOD. Main thing is to get the certificate, and find your first job to get experience.

Your first dispatch gig is always the hardest. It all depends on the job market at any particular time. I would recommend creating an Indeed.com and a Simplyhired.com profile so you can get automatic emails on new dispatch opportunities. Relocation is almost a must for your first gig, then it's all about gaining experience, patience, and a little luck to land "the big one." Most importantly, enjoy the ride.

I'm starting dispatch school in a few weeks @ Jeppesen in Denver. I've read the threads on this forum as well to help me make my decision to move forward. People here have been very helpful by providing a lot of advice and insight. I was even able to do a tour at an airline, thanks to a forum member, which was really helpful in me making that leap to register for school. The director of operations there did tell me that having a college degree & aviation background are a plus when he's looking at people to hire, but again, its not necessary. From what I've seen on here and what people have told me, the first job is the hardest to get and I'm planning on at least 3 months of "down time", before getting that first job. Of course it could be much quicker or even longer but it seems to average around 3 months. I'm obviously hoping that it's much quicker, that timing wise there will be a hiring frenzy! Hahaha...

Good luck and message me anytime if you have questions about school since I'm starting soon.

Thanks to both of you. Very helpful input. I am indeed planning on getting my bachelor's degree someday (hopefully by taking a couple courses a semester while working as a dispatcher).

I have ordered the Gleim study book to get started on prepping for the written exam. I also purchased the software (digital download). The software has some outlines that very briefly summarize the contents of each section. Reading over the outline gives me a headache. All sorts of acronyms, technical jargon, etc. that I do not understand at all. When I receive the actually study book in the mail will such things be defined or explained in better detail? If not, are there any other resources that I should be using to learn the basic about my future career?

Thanks again

Austin

The written exam has next to nothing to do with the actual job itself - it's just something you have to get through to get the certificate. Whatever school you choose should have more information about what to study for the written exam. Sheffield has a good list of books, along with some free downloads, on this page:

http://www.sheffield.com/bookstore.html

Disclaimer: I am not a Sheffield employee, but I think they may get a small referral fee from Amazon if you purchase any of the books listed by using the links on that page. It's a nice source of what kind of books to look for, though, whether you buy anything or not. I am a big fan of The Weather Book by The Weather Channel, and that's one of the books they have listed there.

I'm sure that most of the "technical jargon" as you so put it can be found and described here....welcome to the pilot-controller glossary! http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/pcg/

Everything in aviation comes in cycles regardless of what side of the screen you are on. Aside from what school you choose to go to, send out the applications a week or so before graduating to get the ball rolling. I like most sent out at least 20 and only interviewing with 8 (a couple offered interviews after I had already accepted with my current company). Best of luck

Austin,

It sounds like you don't have any prior aviation experience? Don't worry about all the jargon in the outlines because you'll learn in school. However, the GLEIM ATP test prep book is the same as the software download so the outlines are the same. I found having the book and software helpful though. The purpose of the book and software is to get you to basically memorize the questions and answers for the FAA written. When you see the size of the book you will probably be overwhelmed but don't be. The memorization is much easier than you think, especially with the software. Read the outlines and take practice tests, one section at a time. Take the practice tests however many times it takes you to memorize the answers and then move to the next section and so on. Don't worry about "learning" it all right now because you'll learn in school.

Other things you can do to prepare is study weather theory, weather charts, and get familiar with the FAR's part 121. You can get these online for free. You can look at weather charts, METARS & TAF's on noaa.gov. There are free METAR & TAF decoders online you can find to help you read that "foreign language". :) I also found a free online private pilot ground school where you can read on aviation weather principles at http://www.free-online-private-pilot-ground-school.com/Aviation-Weather-Principles.html. That was a good, basic refresher for me. Explore that site because there is a lot of good info there in all areas, not just weather. As for the the regulations (FAR's), you can get those online for free at faa.gov. There is a wealth of free info on the FAA site, beyond the regulations.

If that's all you do before starting school, you'll be ahead of the game. I am going to start school ready to take the written so that is one less thing I have to study for. Either way we'll be studying our butts off but I wanted that out of the way!

Let me know if I can help out. I'm happy to answer whatever questions you have and if I can't, someone here surely will.

Take care :)

Thanks for all the resources guys! I have pretty much decided to go for it. I am now just trying to decide between Ifod and Sheffield. Good luck in class womanpilot73!

You bet! And thank you! If you'd like to hear from someone who went to both Sheffield and IFOD, send a PM to Captain D and he'll gladly share his experiences at both. :)

Back