Layover adventures

I mean you post all that shark, but i see that there are no EUG overnights. Bid what you want and want what you bid [sarcasm]

4BD357C0-93C2-4F74-8928-0AF7C2E5613A.jpeg
F8D4989F-47BE-4BBA-A347-6C4B55C36713.jpeg
D6FCBE94-297E-4878-B7F4-56179F5C3EA3.jpeg

Hotel single speed bike to a frisbee golf course in San Diego. Got some nice bike infrastructure here (at least for car-centric California)

I remember walking around Shenzen. There was a cop about every quarter mile just keeping an eye on things and every peasant had an electric bike.

Where is everyone? Looks like North Korea😂
Being smart and staying inside until it cools down.
How was the food? I'd love to eat my way through China one day
I'll be honest, I haven't ventured out for food at all. Making payments can be tough. Some places won't take cash, and will only take Alipay. I need to test it and make sure mine is set up correctly.

I'll be honest, I haven't ventured out for food at all. Making payments can be tough. Some places won't take cash, and will only take Alipay. I need to test it and make sure mine is set up correctly.

That is a bummer. I don't know that I would want to tie my bank account to some foreign (especially Chinese) app. Though I guess one could create a "burner" bank account of sorts. But I would like to, as RORO says, eat my way across China one day. Just can't at the moment for a lot of different reasons.

That is a bummer. I don't know that I would want to tie my bank account to some foreign (especially Chinese) app. Though I guess one could create a "burner" bank account of sorts. But I would like to, as RORO says, eat my way across China one day. Just can't at the moment for a lot of different reasons.

I just tied it to a credit card. Easy to dispute charges if it happens.

Oh wow I didn't realize there was a currency issue. Would Wise work? Its like an international bank that lets you pay in local currencies. I used it to buy concert tickets in Argentina when it wouldn't accept an american credit card once. I just checked and it has Chinese Yuan.

Oh wow I didn't realize there was a currency issue. Would Wise work? Its like an international bank that lets you pay in local currencies. I used it to buy concert tickets in Argentina when it wouldn't accept an american credit card once. I just checked and it has Chinese Yuan.

Maybe?

It is pretty weird. I resisted getting on the Alipay bandwagon, but it really made it hard to do anything outside of a western hotel as a lot of places won’t even take cask anymore.

This has been an awesome trip so far. I met up with @JordanD briefly in the Atlanta airport, I had dinner with @mattc206 at Tequila 61 in Anchorage, I had lunch with @Gonzo at Originale the next day, and spent the last day or so hanging out with @ASpilot2be here in XMN.

I’ve known most of those guys since the days we were student pilots, now we’re worldwide.

Here’s a pic @ASpilot2be snapped of me arriving XMN yesterday.

IMG_6006.jpeg

This job can be lonely as hell, but having a worldwide network of absolutely fantastic people makes it so much better. That’s why I get super defensive of this place when people start throwing poop around our proverbial living room.

It's not really a currency thing, as more a form of payment. Some places you can only pay with the app. Even then there can be issues if the business doesn't use the right version of Alipay. Some small shops use a personal version, when they need to use the business one. As a visitor you can't pay to a personal version. It can get complicated.

If they were really smart, they'd move to whidbey island. It is currently 55 and socked in to 1/2 mile viz at my house (thanks to an ATP written textbook 10-15 knot onshore breeze and zero dew point spread) in the middle of August. Flew this afternoon, and there wasn't a cloud in the sky, other than actually offshore over the real ocean, way way down low. About a million bug smashers out and about though, which made VFR flight following on the return-to-base for our flight extra spicy!

If they were really smart, they'd move to whidbey island. It is currently 55 and socked in to 1/2 mile viz at my house (thanks to an ATP written textbook 10-15 knot onshore breeze and zero dew point spread) in the middle of August. Flew this afternoon, and there wasn't a cloud in the sky, other than actually offshore over the real ocean, way way down low. About a million bug smashers out and about though, which made VFR flight following on the return-to-base for our flight extra spicy!
Shhhh. Don't tell anybody.

Back