Layover adventures

When I was an FO, old guy comment inbound:

When we did those trips in 2018 I despised them because we stayed out in this awful hotel in the suburbs. It was like a 40 minute Van ride in full on traffic. The hotel was next to a freeway and super noisy. It was also next to this weird FBI building. The only food was a super dangerous walk to a shopping center that had this cool discount grocery store.

I always asked myself why we couldn't just stay at the airport hotel. I'm glad to hear it's gotten better.
That sounds awful. I’ve done the SFO BOS redeye 6 times in the last month or so. There was a JFK thrown in there somewhere and for a variety of reasons I was like screw this, I’ll take waiting for the alley in BOS over anything NYC

That sounds awful. I’ve done the SFO BOS redeye 6 times in the last month or so. There was a JFK thrown in there somewhere and for a variety of reasons I was like screw this, I’ll take waiting for the alley in BOS over anything NYC
Sounds like my life at Frontier. All I did was redeyes. I don't mind them, but I need variety in my life.

Sounds like my life at Frontier. All I did was redeyes. I don't mind them, but I need variety in my life.
🤞🏼 between open time trades and 4 days that only redeye on the first day I’ve had some variety. I totally redid my bid strategy for August though, i probably completely screwed myself

Does your PBS have a Set Min in-Base Rest option? Our PBS will add on trips to create a “work block” even if you set a command to have x days off per trip or even are just relying the two required days off. If I bid only 2-3 day trips it will happily add a 2 and a 3 day together for a 5 day work block and then give me days off. Setting Min in-Base rest (if you have that option) to 24+ hours stops that.

I wonder if our PBS has that parameter?

They killed 5-day pairings and cut the 3 and 4 days WAY back at my shop. There are a TON of one-day pairings which sucks for commuter so a lot of us are trying to figure out better ways to bid now as a result.

I wonder if our PBS has that parameter?

They killed 5-day pairings and cut the 3 and 4 days WAY back at my shop. There are a TON of one-day pairings which sucks for commuter so a lot of us are trying to figure out better ways to bid now as a result.
That said, schedules just came out for next month and I got a two day squished onto a three day trip for 5 fun-filled days and a mid trip switch from EWR to LGA. I had min in base rest set to 44 hours for all but my last bid group. Go figure, I got my last bid group.

Friend of mine did exclusively redeyes at our shop for 20+ years. Then he had a heart attack and has been out on long term since then. Be careful out there friends.

Number one guy on the seniority list in SEA: ANC and FAI red eye turns....

I weep for the future.

My guess is if he knew how to bid better he would have avoided that.
I’ve got a buddy who lives in jnu and is 35%ish on the FO list. Ever since PBS started he has not had a layover away from home. I imagine he spends a couple nights a month away since he stacks 2-day trips, but the point is if the number 1 guy is doing ANC and FAI it’s because he has no idea how to bid or wants those.

I weep for the future.

What's makes you assume that's not what the guy wants?

Take me. I don't like mornings, I hate day trips/turns, and I don't like short overnights (less than 14 hours). While you could theoretically pay me enough to do those kinds of trips, no airline ever will. 🤷‍♂️

What's makes you assume that's not what the guy wants?

Take me. I don't like mornings, I hate day trips/turns, and I don't like short overnights (less than 14 hours). While you could theoretically pay me enough to do those kinds of trips, no airline ever will. 🤷‍♂️

He probably is bidding them. It's just kind of sad. To me anyway.

I weep for the future.

Could there be a financial or maximum credit benefit to their madness?

If it wasn’t a turn, having a companion there would make the most logical sense.

Ooh! Let me go over my awesome layover adventures for this year so far!

01-01: Medford, OR. 8:50 minutes. Slept.
01-10: Fresno, CA: 10hrs. Ate frozen meal, showered, slept.
01-14: Tucson, AZ: 16 hours. Ate food, worked on homework. Slept.
01-15: San Jose, CA: 16 hrs. Went home, did homework, chores, slept.
01-22: OKC, OK: 10 hrs (airport hotel). Ate frozen food, slept.
01-23: Lexington, KY (I have no memory of this place)
01-30: San Luis Obispo, CA: 10 hrs (ate dinner, slept)
02-04: Salt Lake City, UT: 14 hrs (got coffee, did homework, slept)
02-05: SFO (!?): 10 hours (!). Went home, got a few hours of "rest", came back super early the next morning.
02-10: Monterey, CA: 12 hrs. Did homework, went on a short walk at night, slept.
02-14: Vancouver, BC: 12.5 hrs. Got grubhub, wrote. Slept.
02-15: Honorable mention: Min rest in base
02-17: Redmond, OR: 10 hrs. Tried to get frozen food from the roach-infested pantry at Comfort Inn. Discovered all the frozen food was partially thawed. Complained to the front desk, was told "The manager wants it that way." Got grubhub, waited almost two hours for it. Slept.
02-21: Vancouver, BC: 11 hrs. Chinese food, slept.
02-22: Vancouver, BC: 14 hrs. So tired from the night before that I took a nap, slept through most things being open. Got food downstairs. Slept.
02-23: Seattle, WA: 12 hrs (airport hotel). Got L&L, slept.
02-24: Honorable mention: Min rest overnight in base
(LOTS of locals in the next bid period, with min rest in base. AM short call = 3am call, 5am show)
03-29: Sun Valley: 12 hrs. Ate frozen burrito, slept.
03-30: Palm Springs: 10 hrs. Got grubhub, slept.
04-04: Appleton, WI. 13 hrs. Got grubhub, slept.
04-05: Duluth, MN. 15 hrs. Actually a great overnight! Slept without dinner, then went out and got coffee, found an ok coffee shop.
04-06: Pasco, WA: 21 hours (!!) Finally, a real overnight. Walked down by the river, tried to find good coffee. Didn't succeed. Got a decent lunch. Did some writing, got some more decent food.
04-11: Houston, TX: Whataburger, slept.
04-12: Fayetville, AR: 10 hrs. (Got surprisingly good indian food from a chaat/biryani place! Slept.)
04-18: Orange County, CA: 17 hours. Went on a long walk trying to find a wacom stylus. Got lunch at Mitsuwa, then dinner also at Mitsuwa. Did my online class, slept.
04-19: Honorable mention: Min rest in base
04-24: Honorable mention: Min rest in base
04-25: Honorable mention: Min rest in base
05-02: Spokane, WA: 7 hrs. Slept.
05-09: Santa Barbara, CA: 6 hrs. Slept.
05-19: Greensboro, SC: 17 hrs. (I have limited memory of this place.)
05-20: Fayetville, AR: 10 hrs. Frozen dinner, slept.
05-21: Tucson, AZ: 12 hrs. Grubhub, slept.
05-25: Tucson, AZ: 14 hrs. No memory.
05-26: Monterrey, NL: 12 hours. Actually a fun overnight! Ate at a restaurant near hotel. Slept.
05-31: San Luis Obispo. The cliffs! 6hrs. Orderd grubhub, slept.
06-02: Honorable mention: Min rest in base
06-07: Boise, ID: 11hrs. Ate, slept. Crew room in comfort suites.
06-08: San Jose (!): 20 hours! Went home.
06-15: Redding, CA: 17 hrs. It's Redding, CA. I walked, had in-n-out, slept.
06-16: Honorable mention: Min rest in base
06-17: Honorable mention: Min rest in base
06-21: Honorable mention: 14+ hour duty day + min rest in base
06-22: Honorable mention: 14+ hour duty day + min rest in base
06-23: ORD: 20 hour overnight with a show the next day at 16:00. Company started war-dialing me at 04:30 trying to reflow me, interrupting my rest. Blurry exhausted angry memories.
07-02: Denver. (CQ)
07-03: Denver (CQ)
07-04: Denver (CQ)
07-05: Denver (CQ)
07-06: Denver (CQ)
07-11: Redmond, OR: 15 hrs. Lasagna with noodles the consistency of mochi. Did lots of writing. Rested. Slept.
07-12: Burbank, CA: 10.5 hrs. Got Gyu-kaku. Slept.
07-13: Honorable mention: Min rest in base

Back