Layover adventures

View attachment 79357 We had 24 hours in Vargar / Faroe… I’d like to go back.View attachment 79358

That's my favorite place in the world. My wife and I were married in the townhall in Torshavn. What were you flying that you got to stop there for 24 hours?

(pictures from last year)
DJI_0023x-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg
DSC00215-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg

I have no intention of bidding the long haul life because I don't think my body is well suited for it, but damn, in between this thread and the layover food thread you guys surely do make it hard to resist

I'd say "I'd rather do that on my own vacation" but in reality, I probably won't take that vacation, at least in my present point in life with young kids. So maybe it would be cool to be forced to by an employer. Which is to say that GEG is super rad. I mean, it is a long haul destination from somewhere! :)

I'd say "I'd rather do that on my own vacation" but in reality, I probably won't take that vacation, at least in my present point in life with young kids. So maybe it would be cool to be forced to by an employer. Which is to say that GEG is super rad. I mean, it is a long haul destination from somewhere! :)
And trying to nonrev round trip anywhere is an absolute nightmare anymore.

We bought tickets for our next vacation. I can't wait to have a beer in the lounge and not care about anything until my boarding group is called.
Yep. We even had a bad experience in mid January, because “oh this is a great time to non rev” and then BOOM max grounding.

We bought tickets for our next vacation. I can't wait to have a beer in the lounge and not care about anything until my boarding group is called.
1724341222983.gif

I did this even when I worked for an AAirline that had passes and non-rev benefits…because it also had “seat dumping” (even though the CEO and president at the time denied it).

We actually took the ferry over Sandoy two weeks before the tunnel opened last year. It was a super rough crossing and my wife got pretty seasick. Looking forward to driving next time.

I did my own Faroe Islands tunnel video, although obviously Sam's is way more professional and better looking. Side note... if you aren't watching Jetlagged every season, you should be.

Here's the ferry to Sandoy. Once the tunnel opened, the moved it to replace an older ferry that they took out of service up north to Fugloy.

DSC00541-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg

And here's my tunnel video. Fair warning... my humor is most certainly not for everyone.

Yep. We even had a bad experience in mid January, because “oh this is a great time to non rev” and then BOOM max grounding.

Hah, got you too? We were trying to go to DC to attend the funeral of a friend of mine on Saturday, the morning after the door blew out. I did know it had happened, but when we left for the airport, still didn't really comprehend what the impact was gonna be. First warning should have been the lady at the airport parking lot that was like "oooooooooohhhhh all the Alaska flights have been getting cancelled". Spent an hour or so at the gate, trying to figure out an alternate way, and watched flight after flight get cancelled, and all the 20+ open seats go to oversold. Finally had to just call it, told my wife it would just be me going in the actual jumpsuit, and sorry. I don't think she has completely forgiven me for ditching her, but in the end, it was my friend/old squadron matte. 5 hrs on that terrible seat (that I was truly grateful for) later, I made it. Did get a seat in the back going home from DCA though. Wouldn't have gotten them home on that plane though.

Hah, got you too? We were trying to go to DC to attend the funeral of a friend of mine on Saturday, the morning after the door blew out. I did know it had happened, but when we left for the airport, still didn't really comprehend what the impact was gonna be. First warning should have been the lady at the airport parking lot that was like "oooooooooohhhhh all the Alaska flights have been getting cancelled". Spent an hour or so at the gate, trying to figure out an alternate way, and watched flight after flight get cancelled, and all the 20+ open seats go to oversold. Finally had to just call it, told my wife it would just be me going in the actual jumpsuit, and sorry. I don't think she has completely forgiven me for ditching her, but in the end, it was my friend/old squadron matte. 5 hrs on that terrible seat (that I was truly grateful for) later, I made it. Did get a seat in the back going home from DCA though. Wouldn't have gotten them home on that plane though.
We landed in PDX the day before that happened. It was fun trying to get home.

Back