Layover adventures

49E3E999-2B32-4A86-8567-2A70B5B40943.jpeg
73DA10BF-D7E3-49CB-A899-8A7FF80C7309.jpeg

Rented a bike on a PDX layover.

I’ve only been downtown once, I think it was two months ago, but I really enjoyed it. Hit a brewery that was awesome, but found out it was literally their last night before shutting down.
I’ll be honest, of all the supposedly sketchy places I’ve walked around the only one that made me think “yah maybe the internet isn’t blowing this one out of proportion” was downtown PDX, especially the couple blocks where the bike rental was.

755354BD-8D40-486C-A196-D06CAC3F60CA.jpeg
8945468D-564F-4450-8E0C-98D9F9D5F258.jpeg

Been on the junior short layover train lately, but a 5 hour delay for mx and aircraft swap gave me a chance to walk around the neighborhood near BOS. Absolutely lovely. Maybe it’s just the neighborhood but seems like the cleanest and nicest big city I’ve wound up in lately.

I’ll be honest, of all the supposedly sketchy places I’ve walked around the only one that made me think “yah maybe the internet isn’t blowing this one out of proportion” was downtown PDX, especially the couple blocks where the bike rental was.

Yeah, definitely some issues that need addressed but I certainly didn’t feel unsafe. Drugs seem a lot more fun to mess with than I do.

D67CD4F5-0D2D-491B-8B3A-9168574C15A1.jpeg

So, the other forum that I spend time on is a frisbee golf one. Last spring I posted offering taxi and course guide service for anyone who might be coming through on a cruise ship and wanted to check off a course in Alaska from their list. This dude Bruce who lives in Frederick, MD took me up on it and we had a grand time throwing frisbees when he was in town last year.

Fast forward to this summer, and I nabbed a 24 hr DCA layover thinking I would go see some museums. But then I thought of Bruce and shot him a text, and it worked out to take the metro and meet up with him. We played 27 holes in the mid Atlantic heat and humidity, then had crab cakes at Dogfish Head. So hurray for meeting up with weirdos from the internet!

Our old downtown PDX hotel was super nice. Then I went for a walk around town near the old hotel. It was sketchy AF. For sure not blown out of proportion at all.

Our old downtown PDX hotel was super nice. Then I went for a walk around town near the old hotel. It was sketchy AF. For sure not blown out of proportion at all.

The place with the gold fish? I liked the Shiloh. The phone and tv in the bathroom is what did it for me.

I do really like the BOS hotel. Great for walks, though I've only done the long layover one (if there is a different one for short). I'm kinda starting to miss my inefficient long layover, one and done, BOS and JFK trips that I was getting used to before PBS. Now it is efficient, but its like, a lot of flying man

I do really like the BOS hotel. Great for walks, though I've only done the long layover one (if there is a different one for short). I'm kinda starting to miss my inefficient long layover, one and done, BOS and JFK trips that I was getting used to before PBS. Now it is efficient, but its like, a lot of flying man

Yeah we had a brand new FA on one of our trips and most of us made it out as a crew to grab dinner and have a few beverages. The new FA asked the FO and I what our favorite flight was.

My answer was the SNA turn because I got to go mountain biking in the morning and sleep in my own bed. The FA with more seniority was cracking up.

Yeah we had a brand new FA on one of our trips and most of us made it out as a crew to grab dinner and have a few beverages. The new FA asked the FO and I what our favorite flight was.

My answer was the SNA turn because I got to go mountain biking in the morning and sleep in my own bed. The FA with more seniority was cracking up.

hah yeah that is the dream. Too bad I decided to live 2 hrs from the airport :)

On the PBS bidding note though, never once have I had a day turn day (other than a reserve callout), and now I get them on the front/backend as an extra day of every 2 or 3 day I'm awarded. Still haven't figured out the PBS secret sauce to get rid of that.......I put an avoid for 1 day trips, and an award (at the very top) for trips > 1 day, and I think one other award at the very bottom along the same lines, and then all my other awards are for high credit 3 or 4 days. The high credit 3 or 4 days has been easy, but I just keep getting hit with the obligatory extra day turn day, I presume at the end of the algorithm, to get me above min credit.

I am intimately familiar with the BOS short stay. When you’re my seniority and get stuck with redeye short-backs, BOS is the best choice in SFO because it has the highest credit, you can walk to and from the hotel, and no NYC area BS.

I am intimately familiar with the BOS short stay. When you’re my seniority and get stuck with redeye short-backs, BOS is the best choice in SFO because it has the highest credit, you can walk to and from the hotel, and no NYC area BS.

When I was an FO, old guy comment inbound:

When we did those trips in 2018 I despised them because we stayed out in this awful hotel in the suburbs. It was like a 40 minute Van ride in full on traffic. The hotel was next to a freeway and super noisy. It was also next to this weird FBI building. The only food was a super dangerous walk to a shopping center that had this cool discount grocery store.

I always asked myself why we couldn't just stay at the airport hotel. I'm glad to hear it's gotten better.

On the PBS bidding note though, never once have I had a day turn day (other than a reserve callout), and now I get them on the front/backend as an extra day of every 2 or 3 day I'm awarded. Still haven't figured out the PBS secret sauce to get rid of that.......I put an avoid for 1 day trips, and an award (at the very top) for trips > 1 day, and I think one other award at the very bottom along the same lines, and then all my other awards are for high credit 3 or 4 days. The high credit 3 or 4 days has been easy, but I just keep getting hit with the obligatory extra day turn day, I presume at the end of the algorithm, to get me above min credit.

Taking PBS advice from a dude who doesn't even know if his bid is working because he's 99.4 percent in base is dangerous. I think I could just forget to bid for the next 3-5 years at the current rate and it wouldn't matter.

But:

Are you getting unstacked? That would be odd its giving you a nice turn instead of an ANC red eye turn because the 1 day trips should be going senior.

Are you bidding for all of the 2-3 day trips? Or just a specific set? More 2-3 day trips would give the computer more to work with and it wouldn't have to put a 1 day trip on your line.

If you're too specific about days off I can see this happening too.

IDK if there is anyone we can get help from. Maybe it's worth firing off an email to the PBS committee?

^^ Could very well be any of that I suppose. I don't bid specific trips, or at least haven't so far. I also have a no redeye, no WOCL and no trip report before 0900. So any of that could be limiting, as I'm not super senior of course, more middle of the pack in seat. I also keep forgetting to check the reasons report, which would probably answer a lot of my questions.

^^ Could very well be any of that I suppose. I don't bid specific trips, or at least haven't so far. I also have a no redeye, no WOCL and no trip report before 0900. So any of that could be limiting, as I'm not super senior of course, more middle of the pack in seat. I also keep forgetting to check the reasons report, which would probably answer a lot of my questions.

I think you want to add an avoid time away from base <24 hours, or even less. Should dump those.

Does your PBS have a Set Min in-Base Rest option? Our PBS will add on trips to create a “work block” even if you set a command to have x days off per trip or even are just relying the two required days off. If I bid only 2-3 day trips it will happily add a 2 and a 3 day together for a 5 day work block and then give me days off. Setting Min in-Base rest (if you have that option) to 24+ hours stops that.

Back