Latest offer from FedEx management: We know it sucks here, we worked out an offer for you guys to go to PSA instead!

In a country where the average citizen is uneducated and living severely impoverished, one of the higher paying professions in said country is considered blue collar? Ok then. Next door in India it sure isn't lol.

It happened here, not there. In my home country, pilots are still considered highly because it pays well there.

Here in America? Blue collar button pusher is how it’s viewed. Which is why there are so few Pakistani pilots here. They just don’t push kids into that. There are faaaaaar more Indian pilots in America.

Last edited:
How low is your self esteem, airline pilots are not viewed as blue collar button pushers in this country.

Did you read what I wrote? Reading comprehension failed you.

It wasn’t me. I was introduced as an engineer instead of a pilot, because in that circle, pilots are viewed as blue collar button pushers. Not educated skilled workers.

I didn’t say *I* think like that.

I’m explaining to you why it is that way, and why the #5 most populated country in the world actually has a fairly low representation in airline pilots inside this country.

Last edited:
IDK, man.

We are what we are, by choice or definition.

I only knew one airline captain personally; Mr. Davis, our next door neighbor years ago who flew for TWA. I was a kid who had a "place" in those long-ago days but he treated me well as I visited in his home. Didn't know much more about him but was a tangential part of his too-short life. I didn't get to go to his funeral although my parents did. We were shielded from that kind of thing ages ago as children, although I doubt now that was a healthy practice.

Doubt I'll ever fly again but I still hold airline captains, and first officers too, in high regard, along with cops and firefighters and those who serve in EMS. Just me, I suppose, but I grew up with men who won a world war and flew over a nation after in many cases. It might be corny now, but there was a time they mattered. They flew to new places and were more than systems' managers, once upon a time.

Not that it really matters, but I care that @derg and @cherokeecruiser and others are airline pilots, and that there are still pilots who deliver the plastic dog poop, or whatever, into remote places on stormy nights.

I think it matters as much as you rigging and fitting a plane so they can do it🤷‍♂️
Regarding older folks you might meet along the way, be careful defining them without actually knowing them (this post is not for you Bob, it's more for the younger folks). Back in the dirty, oily, hot and sweaty late nights working on the Bearcat at Van Nuys when it was still 100F at midnight there was an older guy who'd just hang out and watch outside the door of our T-hangar. I had no idea who he was, my perception was that he was what was then called an "airport rat" and I thought he lived in his van. He was always full of opinions but not very many stories and I thought he might be a bit of nuisance and although I was cordial I never got to know him very well. After he passed away I learned he would sleep in his van at the airport because he was flying cargo at odd hours and was a very accomplished aviator, he was Clay Lacys co-pilot in the DC-7 for the 1000 mile race at Mojave. In hindsight I regret not taking advantage of the opportunity to get to know that man better. Quiet waters run deep.

@knot4u these license plates are the pilots who boast about themselves and show off, “hey look at me, I’m a captain of a widebody!” for everyone to see. Someone clearly never told them, no one cares.
Why would you tag me about douchebag pilots? I've had one personalized plate in my entire life and it was sort of an explanation of what the car was. It was a '67 Austin Mini Cooper S 1275, the plate was MNICPRS, this was before the remake of the Italian Job movie and the new Mini launch. It was a rare classic car appreciated by only a select few aficionados and I thought the plate was appropriate. Custom plates or license plate frames are distasteful and I'm embarrassed I got caught up in my enthusiasm. I remember bumper stickers (that might be a bit before your time) when people had all kinds of things to say and used their rear bumper to let you know any number of things about how they liked to get down.

Why would you tag me about douchebag pilots? I've had one personalized plate in my entire life and it was sort of an explanation of what the car was. It was a '67 Austin Mini Cooper S 1275, the plate was MNICPRS, this was before the remake of the Italian Job movie and the new Mini launch. It was a rare classic car appreciated by only a select few aficionados and I thought the plate was appropriate. Custom plates or license plate frames are distasteful and I'm embarrassed I got caught up in my enthusiasm. I remember bumper stickers (that might be a bit before your time) when people had all kinds of things to say and used their rear bumper to let you know any number of things about how they liked to get down.

It was in regard to you telling me that no one cares I’m a pilot, as if I had somehow shown off to the public. So I was tagging you to see actual examples of what you were referring to. It’s these people.

It was in regard to you telling me that no one cares I’m a pilot, as if I had somehow shown off to the public. So I was tagging you to see actual examples of what you were referring to. It’s these people.
You are one of those people. It is what it is.

• Haha
Reactions: HJB
Ohhhh. I get it now. This due to me calling a certain segment as Corpies. To be fair, I also call ourselves One Twenty Weenies. :)
I don't care. Call yourself whatever you like, don't get angry when others decide to choose their own definition. Stand up for what you believe in. But you won't because you're a coward, your parents figured out your marriage and financed your life thus far. I'm jealous and pragmatic. If life wasn't hard I'd be weak, you're weak.

I don't care. Call yourself whatever you like, don't get angry when others decide to choose their own definition. Stand up for what you believe in. But you won't because you're a coward, your parents figured out your marriage and financed your life thus far. I'm jealous and pragmatic. If life wasn't hard I'd be weak, you're weak.

emma-stone-thumbs-up.gif

I will only observe that knowing people - but a cup of coffee or a breakfast and talk, more than once - is far more important and enduring than anything that can occur in a forum.

I’ll meet anyone that could fly into 44N, SWf, or HPN if you let me know, and it’s my treat on the bill.

Regarding older folks you might meet along the way, be careful defining them without actually knowing them (this post is not for you Bob, it's more for the younger folks). Back in the dirty, oily, hot and sweaty late nights working on the Bearcat at Van Nuys when it was still 100F at midnight there was an older guy who'd just hang out and watch outside the door of our T-hangar. I had no idea who he was, my perception was that he was what was then called an "airport rat" and I thought he lived in his van. He was always full of opinions but not very many stories and I thought he might be a bit of nuisance and although I was cordial I never got to know him very well. After he passed away I learned he would sleep in his van at the airport because he was flying cargo at odd hours and was a very accomplished aviator, he was Clay Lacys co-pilot in the DC-7 for the 1000 mile race at Mojave. In hindsight I regret not taking advantage of the opportunity to get to know that man better. Quiet waters run deep.
I guess, based on experience, that I can find the good in most people.

I did some prison ministry for a number of years at Green Haven here; murderers, thieves, perverts. Likely a number of them beyond redemption. Still, we learned to talk and to trust over time. They belonged where they were, and most of them knew it. Some deserved death and didn't doubt that.

I learned a lot from those men which I won't forget about life and death and the journey in-between. I'm no longer a spiritual man having buried one too many people who ought not have died.

All of us are different, but we're the same, too, in many ways.

I have opinions I share but I can't judge anyone anymore🤷‍♂️

Hah we contacted a realtor about the house we ended up buying on Whidbey. We were in Washington DC on a family trip at the time, while we were still living in VA, I think maybe in Dec 2019. Just wanted to know more info. Realtor was like, "put an offer in now". We didn't quite do that, but we found a friend local to the house to have a look and photo/video record it for us the next day. And then we put in an offer. Laughably, we offered below asking. I think what we got was asking, but with a seller credit towards closing costs. But in hindsight, she was 100% right. This house wouldn't have sat for more than 5 days on the market. And it is amazing that they accepted our eventual offer at all. They allowed a home inspection too. I remember watching the ridiculous spectacle of realtor showings of our neighbors houses in 2020-2021, you'd count a new car/family every 30 mins for an entire weekend, and they sold after a bidding war in like 2 days. Spoiler alert, only old boomers with cash won. So we now have only old people in our neighborhood.

Anyway, good to know. I hadn't thought about becoming a real estate agent, but now I will never think of it. But I never thought of it because it has always sounded like a lot of hours spent hustling for nothing.
Wife and I were looking at houses in Leesburg in 2020. We were the first people to see the house. As we were leaving, the agent told us by the way we have 6 offers on this house already. Ended up selling 80K over asking price.

[modhat on]
Being that rude to other visitors in @derg’s living room is no es bueno. Cease and desist, por favor.
[modhat off]

You're one to lecture about privilege or hard work, you inherited commercial real estate. Pot meet kettle.

1701923442330.png

Back