Latest offer from FedEx management: We know it sucks here, we worked out an offer for you guys to go to PSA instead!

I’m 1984, millenial by birth.

But I identify as a boomer :)

@SteveC when you’re old and alone in Michigan, you let me know and imma drop by and join the boomer campfire. We can bring dacuj too for added hilarity. :)
That's hogwash, the fact that you try to assume Boomer as an identity is an insult to actual Boomers. If you want to adopt a personality you should look at the Boomers parents, those were the people that actually went out and fixed some nonsense. You claiming to be a Boomer rings as hollow as you pretending to be a punk at CBGBs. You're not even Gen-X. If you're conservative good for you, you're a conservative millennial. No one cares that you're an airline captain, the sooner you realize that the better it'll be for you. Maybe that's why you want to be a Boomer, back then airline captains were still held in high regard socially. It's 2023 and no one cares.

Last edited:
This is true.

The days of “You’re an SouthernJets airline captain? Here, grab the keys of whatever Cadillac you’d like, we know you’re good for it, just leave us an address and we’ll send the loan paperwork to the SJCCU credit union” are long dead and gone.

I’m in the M Lounge in Frankfurt and some dude was fit to be tied to tell people he was an airline pilot. It appears that every time someone says that, there’s always another pilot in the back of the room thinking to himself “shut up buddy, you’re a regional new hire over here on a buddy pass from your college roommate” :)

That's hogwash, the fact that you try to assume Boomer as an identity is an insult to actual Boomers. If you want to adopt a personality you should look at the Boomers parents, those were the people that actually went out and fixed some nonsense. You claiming to be a Boomer rings as hollow as you pretending to be a punk at CBGBs. You're not even Gen-X. If you're conservative good for you, you're a conservative millennial. No one cares that you're an airline captain, the sooner you realize that the better it'll be for you. Maybe that's why you want to be a Boomer, back then airline captains were still held in high regard socially. It's 2023 and no one cares.

Did I ever say I’m an “airline Captain” as some sort of flex?

Who you kidding? My own father introduced me as an engineer once at a social event, because being seen as a pilot is considered blue collar button pusher in my culture. Trust me. I ain’t claiming to be some pilot king sky god.

The boomer thing is a joke, but some take it way too seriously.

I don’t even know what a CBGB without looking it up, I’m not gonna.

IDK, man.

We are what we are, by choice or definition.

I only knew one airline captain personally; Mr. Davis, our next door neighbor years ago who flew for TWA. I was a kid who had a "place" in those long-ago days but he treated me well as I visited in his home. Didn't know much more about him but was a tangential part of his too-short life. I didn't get to go to his funeral although my parents did. We were shielded from that kind of thing ages ago as children, although I doubt now that was a healthy practice.

Doubt I'll ever fly again but I still hold airline captains, and first officers too, in high regard, along with cops and firefighters and those who serve in EMS. Just me, I suppose, but I grew up with men who won a world war and flew over a nation after in many cases. It might be corny now, but there was a time they mattered. They flew to new places and were more than systems' managers, once upon a time.

Not that it really matters, but I care that @derg and @cherokeecruiser and others are airline pilots, and that there are still pilots who deliver the plastic dog poop, or whatever, into remote places on stormy nights.

I think it matters as much as you rigging and fitting a plane so they can do it🤷‍♂️

I talked to a guy at a job fair one day that literally said, "Please don't give me an interview, I don't want to fly anymore" that was basically drug there by his father. So we just talked about hiking for about five minutes.
This isn’t for everyone. Unfortunately, you only really get to find that out after you’ve been doing it for a while and put a lot of effort and money in, possibly to get into a spot you don’t want to be. You’d better love (or at least tolerate) flying airplanes, because despite all of the horse-crap, there isn’t necessarily a pony around, to take the contraposition of Grandpa’s favorite expressions.

But what a bummer and what a waste of a limited existence.

This is true.

The days of “You’re an SouthernJets airline captain? Here, grab the keys of whatever Cadillac you’d like, we know you’re good for it, just leave us an address and we’ll send the loan paperwork to the SJCCU credit union” are long dead and gone.

I’m in the M Lounge in Frankfurt and some dude was fit to be tied to tell people he was an airline pilot. It appears that every time someone says that, there’s always another pilot in the back of the room thinking to himself “shut up buddy, you’re a regional new hire over here on a buddy pass from your college roommate” :)

I think that young, starry-eyed new airline pilot vibe is awesome. I know we all chastise it now (and rightfully so) but being proud and excited to be doing what you are doing, and loving it. It comes off as douchey but to be young and dumb again would be really fun. This job is super freaking cool and we should be proud of it. Problem is, we all get kicked in the sack over and over and over until we are hardened jerks lol.

IMG_4835.jpeg

@knot4u these license plates are the pilots who boast about themselves and show off, “hey look at me, I’m a captain of a widebody!” for everyone to see. Someone clearly never told them, no one cares.

There’s a pilot (don’t know if guy or gal) who drives a Porsche and lives somewhere within 5 or so miles of me probably, only because I see them every so often. Deep tinted side and back windows so I’ve never seen the person driving. A small Delta Air Lines sticker next to the license plate, and the license plate says “A330GOD”

Did I ever say I’m an “airline Captain” as some sort of flex?

Who you kidding? My own father introduced me as an engineer once at a social event, because being seen as a pilot is considered blue collar button pusher in my culture. Trust me. I ain’t claiming to be some pilot king sky god.

The boomer thing is a joke, but some take it way too seriously.

I don’t even know what a CBGB without looking it up, I’m not gonna.
In a country where the average citizen is uneducated and living severely impoverished, one of the higher paying professions in said country is considered blue collar? Ok then. Next door in India it sure isn't lol.

Right to jail, right away, alongside the guy who had the “777 A” plate in Thousand Oaks.
He's UA SFO, been seeing that one for years along with a big yellow hummer that says UALCAPT or something.

Back