Jumpseating with family members buying tickets

nibake

Powder hound
Does this work? How does this work?
I accepted an offer flying cargo so no flight benefits for the family, just for me. What is it like to travel with family, friends, even children while I jumpseat? Thanks for any suggestions.

Only did it once with the family on the way back from Hawaii. Luckily it was a 767 with 2 jumpseats. There was a HAL captain jumpseating as well and I would have been screwed if there was only one jumpseat. Worked for me but it will depend on your priority on who you are jumping on and if there is anyone else ahead of you looking for a ride as well. Just listed as normal for the flight they were on and crossed my fingers.

As long as the people you are traveling with will be ok going if you don't get on, you'll be fine. Generally a revenue passenger can't refuse to go because their companion who is non rev didn't get on.

I bought my wife a ticket on Virgin America PDX-SFO-SAN last year. Figured I would just jumpseat on those flights. Got to the gate, the agent said that I needed to list through ID90. I had no idea how to do it, so I parted with my wife as she waived to me getting on the plane, I then bee bopped around the West Coast trying to meet her in SAN. I was five hours later than her as it was a busy travel day.... :D

I (jokingly) suggested I could get the jumpseat as part of a nonrev party of 2 when there was one seat left.

I still wonder if I should have pursued that (we got on the next flight) but I have no CASS/KCM.

Can the captain take anyone, or would (more likely) there need to be a part 121/135 link?

Alex.

I (jokingly) suggested I could get the jumpseat as part of a nonrev party of 2 when there was one seat left.

I still wonder if I should have pursued that (we got on the next flight) but I have no CASS/KCM.

Can the captain take anyone, or would (more likely) there need to be a part 121/135 link?

Alex.
Apparently on European airlines, it could have happened. Even after an Aeroflot pilot got a whole airplane killed doing exactly that...

Back