Jumpseat Fun

If I'm wearing business casual then I'm in work clothes. It's my "uniform", that's why I want to be treated just like a pilot in uniform, because I have no other choice. It's funny though because if I worked for a company that said I had to wear a FO uniform as a dispatcher, TSA would let me through no problem. You, like TSA, are hung up on the flight crew uniform part of the crew line. We'll have to agree to disagree I think on this one
I guess. Seems to me that regular security has never been that much of a hassle. I normally commute out of uniform too. If it means that much to you though, you could advocate for some type of dispatcher uniform with epaulets and wings. I'm sure that'll go over gangbusters with your fellow employees though.

I guess. Seems to me that regular security has never been that much of a hassle. I normally commute out of uniform too. If it means that much to you though, you could advocate for some type of dispatcher uniform with epaulets and wings. I'm sure that'll go over gangbusters with your fellow employees though.
As long as we don't have to wear hats.

Can I wear a fez?
image.jpeg

I'm down for the dispatcher uni. Of course than hang up will be when wear 5 stripes, or admiral bars, or a British Air Marshal insignia .... That'll probably piss of a group of employees quick.

Can I wear a fez?

Only if they start allowing sonic screwdrivers as carry ons

Word to the wise for dealing with TSA and crew lines. I commute in and out of DTW and LAS, as well as fully utilize my CASS privileges, I dress in slacks and a Polo/Button Up with company logo (provided by the company or purchased through the company) and every city I have flown through allows and treats me as crew. Crew lanes if they have them, TSA pre if they do not. Most do not care about bringing through water bottles if you forget that you left one in you bag from your last trip. Any other commuters do this besides me?

I just had to jumpseat to and from ABQ due to full flights and both flight crews were super nice and friendly. Only had a slight issue with one gate agent also. Of course, I learned that an E175 jumpseat is even less comfortable than that of a CRJ but I got where I wanted to go successfully. Prelisting on AA definitely made it a lot smoother.

I just had to jumpseat to and from ABQ due to full flights and both flight crews were super nice and friendly. Only had a slight issue with one gate agent also. Of course, I learned that an E175 jumpseat is even less comfortable than that of a CRJ but I got where I wanted to go successfully. Prelisting on AA definitely made it a lot smoother.

Will remember that for next time I go visiting my frandz up north - the 190 was a blast, but only gets to BOS.

P.S. - that's a strange one, then, because the CR7/CR9 jumpseat gives this illusion of being bigger than the CR2 (hint: it's not)...My coworkers have stated it's because the way you step in to a 7 or a 9 makes you know you're in a bigger aircraft, so you think you'll be in a bigger seat. They're all ironing boards but hey if it gets me to bed (or work) I guess it'll do.

I jumpseated on B6 yesterday. Pleasant ride, fantastic crew with some absolutely incredible stories. It was fun in the beginning because the captain wasn't 100% I could Jumpseat so he asked passenger service who said the classic "he's in CASS" followed by the captain saying "I understand but can he ride up front with us." So passenger service couldn't 100% confirm so they defaulted to pulling me off, which got the captain annoyed because he didn't want to leave me behind unless they had a reason too. So then after getting 3 passenger service supervisors involved it was determined that I can in fact ride. I guess being in CASS was enough for them.

I jumpseated on B6 yesterday. Pleasant ride, fantastic crew with some absolutely incredible stories. It was fun in the beginning because the captain wasn't 100% I could Jumpseat so he asked passenger service who said the classic "he's in CASS" followed by the captain saying "I understand but can he ride up front with us." So passenger service couldn't 100% confirm so they defaulted to pulling me off, which got the captain annoyed because he didn't want to leave me behind unless they had a reason too. So then after getting 3 passenger service supervisors involved it was determined that I can in fact ride. I guess being in CASS was enough for them.
Did he look in his FOM? I've worked for three airlines, and each one lists exactly who can ride up front, and their priority classification. Might want to suggest that next time if there's a question about it.

P.S. - that's a strange one, then, because the CR7/CR9 jumpseat gives this illusion of being bigger than the CR2 (hint: it's not)...My coworkers have stated it's because the way you step in to a 7 or a 9 makes you know you're in a bigger aircraft, so you think you'll be in a bigger seat.

I had never been in an Embraer jet before and I thought that it would be a more comfy jumpseat than a CRJ but it seemed worse to me...perhaps less ability to move my legs around, I don't know. Anyhow when I stood up at the end of the 3 hour flight I was all "MY LEGS!" On the same length flight coming home in a CRJ it was cramped but not quite as cramped, evidently, since I could still walk normally after the flight was over. Of course the fact that I am 6'4" never helps any with jumpseat comfort issues.

They're all ironing boards but hey if it gets me to bed (or work) I guess it'll do.

Very true especially in regional aircraft. Even in the bigger planes, the only jumpseat I have been in that I could describe as "comfy" was on a 747. Although the main A320 jumpseat isn't bad at all.

Did he look in his FOM? I've worked for three airlines, and each one lists exactly who can ride up front, and their priority classification. Might want to suggest that next time if there's a question about it.

I was thinking the same thing.

He did, and it said "dispatchers" but they couldn't access their reciprocal agreements.

He did, and it said "dispatchers" but they couldn't access their reciprocal agreements.
Then I would say that as long as you were in CASS, and the computer allowed you to be placed in the JS, then you are GTG. (Caveat, that's how it works with Delta's computer system, not to sure about B6.)

767 and A330 are pretty comfy.

As for the captain confusion, I always suggest the captain just call dispatch. :) 9 times out of 10 getting more customer service people involved just confuses things further. Once you're in the cockpit forget about the customer service folks, you're past them.

767 and A330 are pretty comfy.

As for the captain confusion, I always suggest the captain just call dispatch. :) 9 times out of 10 getting more customer service people involved just confuses things further. Once you're in the cockpit forget about the customer service folks, you're past them.
I've tried suggesting that in the past...it usually gets me a glare.

For JSing on AAL, I have never had a problem because I can tell the agent my boarding priority, D6U. When you create the listing thru the online tool it knows what your correct priority is, but it helps things with the agents somehow.

You are SO CORRECT...in so many Customer Service situations a little knowledge and "mile in their shoes" perspective goes a long way. My Kids (5) have learned how to "glean" names and information without loosing eye contact - they say it's like have a "Give me Stuff" sign on their foreheads.

Back