Jumpseat Fun

If you are jumpseating on AA you would list as a pilot commuting on the zed site. The agent will pull your listing and look you up in cass. Not a problem at all.

That being said I ran into problems a couple of months ago when a gate agent pulled a computer file with dispatcher jumpseat info and completely misread it thinking I couldn't go. He didn't read the full memo nor pay attention to the way it was punctuated. Needless to say the Captain cleared it up.

I've only jumped on 'Murican once and it was painless. Worst part of the whole deal was when to decide to speak up about the autopilot not being set to approach mode as we tooled right on past the localizer.

I have yet to list on American due to the headaches I keep hearing about but with airways officially gone, it looks like I'll eventually have to

I JS on Legacy AA last summer. It was a hassle as the gate agent was clueless and the person at the customer service counter I was referred to was out to lunch. Fourtunately, a more senior agent came to help the naive one. At my connecting hub, it was no issue at all.

I think AA wants you to list at a website or call a number now to list.

NK will let you list on there website, but you have to have the right password from your airline.

WN wants you to list via phone.

I'm pretty sure everyone else is walk up to the gate and list.

Last edited:
Depends on the carrier. Most places put you in immediately following your first day, however some carriers put you in after you passed initial ground school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At my current airline it was supposed to be done within the first week of starting. Took four weeks and numerous trips by my boss and I to HR to find out who was in charge of CASS entries. Fourtantly we ran into the CP and some Flight Ops people one day and they said to refer those issues to them and it was taken care of. Since my class, I haven't heard of any more issues with new hires getting into CASS. It is just crazy how realatively small my airline was at the time and my own boss didn't have the answer.

Pretty easy in the end, I guess I need a boarding pass to get through security so the luggage counter printed me one out and got my seat assignment from the gate agent. All came together nicely, got put in CASS on Wed. but needed my badge to be able to travel, which came in on Friday, just in time for me to catch a flight home.

Didn't end up in the jump seat due to some confusion at the gate, but had a seat on the plane and it got me home which was really my top priority. We'll see home commuting back to work goes...hopefully smooth and uneventful as well.

It's weird because I usually have so many more issues with the Captain then with the gate agents. Seeing my picture in CASS is usually enough for them to let me go past. The captains on the other hand rarely believe OAL Dispatchers can ride up front.

Ive had more issues with AA captains than gate agents. They are a nightmere to jump on compared to other airlines. Airtran was the best and treated offline dxers the best too.

I had an issue with a Delta Captain one time. He and his fo weren't sure and wanted to look it up, but got busy due to an ATC reroute so they handed me the FOM and had me find the reference myself. Since I found it quickly, (I try to keep a mental note of the reference in each airlines manual the more and more I go) I showed it to them and away we went.

I had an issue with a Delta Captain one time. He and his fo weren't sure and wanted to look it up, but got busy due to an ATC reroute so they handed me the FOM and had me find the reference myself. Since I found it quickly, (I try to keep a mental note of the reference in each airlines manual the more and more I go) I showed it to them and away we went.
Would it be possible for you to send me that reference? I have the AA one, never had a problem on DL but you never know.

I used to have that memorized for Southwest because I rode on them so much....it was 7.1.21 for them, don't know if it's changed or not since then.

I've had a few times where I have been strapped in, ready to go, then the crew decides to question whether or not I can be there. I remember one time they already had the door closed, jetbridge pulled and they decided to call their dispatch to make sure me (OAL dispatcher) was good to go.

Gate agents kind of look at you funny when you say your not a pilot but a dispatcher. Haven't had too many problems though

Dave

My favorite was I introduced myself to the crew as a Dispatcher for my airline. They hardly cared to listen, were in a rush and boom we took off. The second the wheels got off the ground the CA turns to me and says "what do you fly" ... I told you I was a dispatcher! "YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE IN HERE" as you see New York City and the airport in the background. He frantically digs through his books ... Finds that I can be in there. Slams the book shut and not another word was said from him!

Trying to Jumpseat tomorrow...all these stories are making me a bit nervous. Oh well; c'est la vie.

Is there any airline that requires a dispatcher a medical in order to jumpseat. Was once denied on a Skywest flight because the CA insisted that I needed one

Is there any airline that requires a dispatcher a medical in order to jumpseat. Was once denied on a Skywest flight because the CA insisted that I needed one
If you ever have that problem again in OO have him call Dispatch.

I work for a UAX carrier and United gate agents consistently tell me that I am only able to ride in a cabin seat on mainline flights, per their FOM. One pair of agents in SAN just about looked at me like they'd stumbled across Bin Laden when I approached them about riding in the cockpit (they didn't even get so far as to talk about even a cabin seat.) Anyways, can United folks on here speak to this any further? They always turn me away for mainline "per the FOM." Does their FOM say the same for all UAX carriers? I feel like others don't have this issue, but maybe they do.

Last edited:
I work for a UAX carrier and United gate agents consistently tell me that I am only able to ride in a cabin seat on mainline flights, per their FOM. One pair of agents in SAN just about looked at me like they'd stumbled across Bin Laden when I approached them about riding in the cockpit (they didn't even get so far as to talk about even a cabin seat.) Anyways, can United folks on here speak to this any further? They always turn me away for mainline "per the FOM." Does their FOM say the same for all UAX carriers? I feel like others don't have this issue, but maybe they do.
You should ask them "what does FOM stand for?" Just saying, I trust a gate agent on the FOM about as much as I trust Ben Carson on Egyptology.

Co
Consult your jumpseat coordinator. Tell those genius gate agents reference 10.20.2 fom for ual mainline. That's a load of crap.

Just ask the gate agent to run you in CASS. When they do that it should print out a jumpseat pass form saying FLT DESK ACCESS AWARDED that should at least get them to let you go ask the crew. A page reference in the FOM would not be very useful to give to the gate agents, since they don't have a copy of their own, but the reference there definitely says "United Express Pilots and Dispatchers," and you are authorized to ride in the cockpit jumpseat. Once or twice Express pilots have seemed surprised that I'm allowed to ride up front but seeing the CASS form has satisfied them. It sounds to me like the gate agents who have told you that you can't ride up front are assuming that only pilots are in CASS (which is a fairly common assumption, even among pilots) because non-CASS pilots and dispatchers do have to occupy a seat in the main cabin. Attached is a copy of the form in question (with personal information removed) so people can see what it looks like.

jump.jpg

Last edited:
Back