Jumpseat Fun

manniax

Well-met in the Ka-tet
I'm sure all dispatchers have had hat fun experience of trying to jumpseat on another carrier and getting a clueless gate agent who says you can't...I ran into one of those people today. I was fortunately able to get Hawaiian's dispatch number from work and call them to verify offline dispatchers can indeed jumpseat with them (which I had already seen online, but the gate agent didn't believe) and they gave me some useful tips for how to expedite things. So if there are any Hawaiian dispatchers here - please tell Kyle thanks for his help earlier today. I know that in Maui they likely don't see a lot of offline dispatchers trying to jumpseat, but it's so frustrating to be told you're not allowed to do something you actually ARE allowed to do. The gate agent ended up giving me a nice cabin seat (exit row) but I did notice she wrote DISPATCHER on my boarding pass for some reason. Anyhow the captain was totally cool and I made it to my final destination without further incident.

Last weekend the dress code of all things was the saving grace for me after my ride to Ohio cancelled for crew availability in PHL. Granted it was the mother airline, but sitting in line with 51 angry passengers wasn't for me. So I ran back to Terminal C to check on the next flight to Charlotte: lo and behold, the gate agent says it's fuller than filled. Fortunately, the captain overheard my dilemma and gave me the once-over, asked who I worked for, and told the agent to put me on the standby list after checking out my credentials. She handed me a jumpseat request form and off we went! Made my final destination with no issues, but it should be noted to act smart, dress well, and remember who you're representing. You never know who remembers the small things.

- B

Made my final destination with no issues, but it should be noted to act smart, dress well, and remember who you're representing. You never know who remembers the small things.

Yes, I always go business casual whenever I think I might be jumpseating. Most times it's not the crew that is the issue - or if they have doubts they will check their FOM. Gate agents are usually the most difficult. I guess I've been a bit spoiled because I have been largely just using my own airline recently when I've had to get somewhere....the offline jumpseater is probably a pretty rare sight, especially at non-hub stations.

Yes, I always go business casual whenever I think I might be jumpseating. Most times it's not the crew that is the issue - or if they have doubts they will check their FOM. Gate agents are usually the most difficult. I guess I've been a bit spoiled because I have been largely just using my own airline recently when I've had to get somewhere....the offline jumpseater is probably a pretty rare sight, especially at non-hub stations.
Hmmm I usually have more issues with captains than gate agents, and only on US Airways (haven't tried jumpseating on AA yet).

....(haven't tried jumpseating on AA yet).

In my experience, it's a PITA! I got the "sorry I can't help you because you didn't make an online reservation" response a couple weeks ago in Vegas. :bang:Somehow while hastily walking tween concourses, I was supposed to log onto the system and book myself on a flight that was leaving in 15min. Unless I absolutely have to, I avoid them because of the headache booking process. Hopefully they will get rid of that LIDO system. I'm going to miss the listing yourself at the gate from Airways. :( Delta saved my nearly stranded behind yet again in the above mentioned scene.

I have yet to list on American due to the headaches I keep hearing about but with airways officially gone, it looks like I'll eventually have to

I jumped on American once and it was a nightmare. The gate agent kept telling me that because I was not a pilot, I couldn't jumpseat. I had her look me up in CASS and while she stared at my picture and info, told me there was no way I could be in CASS because I wasn't a pilot. This went on for a good 20 minutes. I asked the agent if she would please run it by the flight crew and she refused. However, another agent went down and talked with the crew. They welcomed me on board and I rode up front. Turned out to be a really fun flight. Great crew. Even so, I'd probably not try with them again. Not worth the headache!

I jumped on American once and it was a nightmare. The gate agent kept telling me that because I was not a pilot, I couldn't jumpseat. I had her look me up in CASS and while she stared at my picture and info, told me there was no way I could be in CASS because I wasn't a pilot. This went on for a good 20 minutes. I asked the agent if she would please run it by the flight crew and she refused. However, another agent went down and talked with the crew. They welcomed me on board and I rode up front. Turned out to be a really fun flight. Great crew. Even so, I'd probably not try with them again. Not worth the headache!
It's weird because I usually have so many more issues with the Captain then with the gate agents. Seeing my picture in CASS is usually enough for them to let me go past. The captains on the other hand rarely believe OAL Dispatchers can ride up front.

To quote an Envoy Captain that I jumpseated with this past week "they're witches, everyone of them. I'll expose them for what they are once I find their broomstick closet, and they don't know what's like to commute because they just ride their brooms everyday". I jumpseat from Ohio to Michigan almost every week via DTW or ORD and the only issue I ever have is from the gate. I have to believe that the more of us that interact with the "witches" the more likely we will be to avoid hassle. However, if you talk to any of the commuters, CA, FO or even FA, they all have horror stories.

It's weird because I usually have so many more issues with the Captain then with the gate agents. Seeing my picture in CASS is usually enough for them to let me go past. The captains on the other hand rarely believe OAL Dispatchers can ride up front.

Well...when your name is Luigi and you look like a plumber...what do you expect?

150px-Luigi_MP10.png

ERROR ERROR GATE AGENT CANNOT COMPUTE ...... HOW...IS THIS...POSSIBLE??....

In my experience, it's a PITA! I got the "sorry I can't help you because you didn't make an online reservation" response a couple weeks ago in Vegas.

Yup, that has been my experience with AA as well. I jumped on them once in the pre-CASS days and the gate agent was very nice and helpful. Now, though...if you haven't already listed yourself, the agent's attitude seems to be, "Well, sucks to be you!" When I jumped on Spirit, the agent did list me (although they prefer you list yourself in advance) and I thought it was very nice of her...definitely saved my bacon that day since the station I was flying out of just had Express flights and they were all full plus had two or three pilots trying to jumpseat.

A random question from a new dispatcher, how long does it normally take to be put into CASS and begin using jumpseat privileges?

A random question from a new dispatcher, how long does it normally take to be put into CASS and begin using jumpseat privileges?
Depends on the carrier. Most places put you in immediately following your first day, however some carriers put you in after you passed initial ground school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaaaand some carriers don't even bother telling you how to go about getting your CASS status taken care of!

o_O

Well, i'm in now but i guess it won't go through until the FAA background check comes back. Seemed pretty easy so far!

Can anyone help with this, when trying to jumpseat through myID as it seems to be required with American, does a dispatcher select Pilot Commuting to be listed as a jumpseater? I see options for traveler status as R2 Standby, Flight Attendant Commuting Listing, R1 Confirmed, or Pilot Commuting Listing, sorry if these are dumb questions, just trying to do this the first time to try and get home to see family. This whole jumpseat/commuting option is clear as mud to me.

Can anyone help with this, when trying to jumpseat through myID as it seems to be required with American, does a dispatcher select Pilot Commuting to be listed as a jumpseater? I see options for traveler status as R2 Standby, Flight Attendant Commuting Listing, R1 Confirmed, or Pilot Commuting Listing, sorry if these are dumb questions, just trying to do this the first time to try and get home to see family. This whole jumpseat/commuting option is clear as mud to me.
Pilot commuting.....

I only southwest will recognize dispatchers when you check in at the gate. Also...avoid AA, they are a pain in the ass to deal with for jumpseating.

I only southwest will recognize dispatchers when you check in at the gate. Also...avoid AA, they are a pain in the ass to deal with for jumpseating.

I was just hoping that by going on my own regionals plane i'd get some sympathy hopefully :D

Back