JC Cyclists.

I'm gonna do raam one day! But probably just with one partner because I can't find anybody else that'll man up and do it :)

If I ever can afford a new mountain bike (I only have a skinny tire right now) I would love to tackle Ride the Divide.

I won't take away from how cool RAAM is, but I would rather do something like the Whistler BC Stage Race.

Now THAT'S legit! :)

Anyhoo our JC focus might benefit from something a little less grand at least initially. Say a local race?

A local race would certainly be cool, but the reason I throw out something like 24 hours of Moab or something else of that nature that's a big race/ride, is that none of us are local to, well, anywhere. We've got people in literally every corner of the country, so getting some folks together for a M&G/ride/race that's larger in nature is (in my mind) more likely to happen because it'll be as much about the atmosphere as it is about the race.

I mean seriously, who doesn't want to go shred 24 hours of singletrack in Moab with 4 other their closest internet buddies? :)

If I ever can afford a new mountain bike (I only have a skinny tire right now) I would love to tackle Ride the Divide.

I'm in the same boat. At this point in my life, it doesn't make sense to have more than one bike, and that one bike is a road bike. Eventually I want to have a trail bike to take out west, a road bike for daily rides, and then maybe a single speed 29er for riding out here in the midwest.

There is a pretty fun looking century ride all around Moab/Canyonlands the second week in Sept. Not so much a race but a sweet ride through some incredible country.

It has been nearly twenty years, but I used to love the riding around Moab. I can't remember all of the different rides, but they were plentiful and great.

So how goes the impotence? Did they fix that issue yet? The main reason why I wouldn't bike seriously.

I am no expert, but I think that was mostly solved long ago, at least with most educated riders. As I understand it:

1. Get a good saddle. Not necessarily an expensive one, but one that fits you well and has a grove that reduces pressure on the perineum.
2. Make sure your bike is fitted properly, which will help keep you in a position that puts less pressure on that area.
3. Change positions often when riding and when possible work on keeping weight aft on the pelvis.
4. On long rides, get up out of the saddle often to give your backside a break, and even take short breaks if that area is getting at all numb.
5. If you are experiencing any problems or numbness, revisit all of the previous steps.

I only got back into the cycling game again last year at 40, but I know lots of life long riders and don't know anyone who has ever had an issue. I know it can happen, but from what I have read there are usually some kind of odd or more extreme circumstances that lead to the problem. Even then it is usually temporary at first with all kinds of warning signs to make changes early on, so it's not like you suddenly go limp with no warning or opportunity to correct the issue.

Hopefully one of the more experienced riders here will chime in on the subject.

I'd like something more modern myself. If I took either of my bikes in for a tune-up today, I'd probably get asked about donating it to the Musee de Velo or something.

I am no expert, but I think that was mostly solved long ago, at least with most educated riders. As I understand it:

1. Get a good saddle. Not necessarily an expensive one, but one that fits you well and has a grove that reduces pressure on the perineum.
2. Make sure your bike is fitted properly, which will help keep you in a position that puts less pressure on that area.
3. Change positions often when riding and when possible work on keeping weight aft on the pelvis.
4. On long rides, get up out of the saddle often to give your backside a break, and even take short breaks if that area is getting at all numb.
5. If you are experiencing any problems or numbness, revisit all of the previous steps.

I only got back into the cycling game again last year at 40, but I know lots of life long riders and don't know anyone who has ever had an issue. I know it can happen, but from what I have read there are usually some kind of odd or more extreme circumstances that lead to the problem. Even then it is usually temporary at first with all kinds of warning signs to make changes early on, so it's not like you suddenly go limp with no warning or opportunity to correct the issue.

Hopefully one of the more experienced riders here will chime in on the subject.

Hey thanks for the info! I was kinda scared out of it about 15 years ago and thought it was pretty much a rampant problem. Thanks again!

Hey thanks for the info! I was kinda scared out of it about 15 years ago and thought it was pretty much a rampant problem. Thanks again!

Also Specialized is now offering custom saddle fittings, whereas the measure your 'seat bone' something or other so you can get the proper fit. Something to consider, my wife knows all about it since it is part of her job I need to ask her again to get it clear. Cool stuff.

Has anyone taken on working on a design? If not I will glady get the files from Doug and give it a try.

How many Jc'ers actually race? I'm curious and if there is anyone who takes it farily seriously, I'd be interested in picking your cycling brain a bit.

I used to race MTB at an amatuer level, raced for a local shop, in High School but haven't really done anything competitively since. I do club sponsored local road races a couple of times a year now but that about it. Its a little hard being on the road so much.

Yes! To 24 hour races and no to RAAM :)

I did a couple 24 hour races way back when, I think RAAM would be cool too, but maybe in a few years. I am totally down for it though.

So how goes the impotence? Did they fix that issue yet? The main reason why I wouldn't bike seriously.

I have never had that problem... If anything its the opposite. And I have spent MANY MANY hours on end on the saddle..

I'd like to know about the design to. If you are use the hincapie full hidden zipper race fit. Doug, I will PM you my email if you don't still have it. I will take a look at the designs and see what I can do. Warning though, I have no artistic background. Just technical and knowing, like many of you, what is good.

Also Specialized is now offering custom saddle fittings, whereas the measure your 'seat bone' something or other so you can get the proper fit. Something to consider, my wife knows all about it since it is part of her job I need to ask her again to get it clear. Cool stuff.

You guys have convinced me to entertain the thought of getting into it at least at entry level and see how it goes. Thank you.

How many Jc'ers actually race? I'm curious and if there is anyone who takes it farily seriously, I'd be interested in picking your cycling brain a bit.

I race on the road occasionally, I raced a 3/4 crit on Saturday. Here's a link to the data: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/98020076

17808d1310468046-jc-cyclists-saturday-crit.png

Attachments

• Saturday Crit.png
    Saturday Crit.png
    251.4 KB · Views: 218
Just got my Moots custom CR roadie two weeks ago: with SRAM red and Mavic Wheels.

Its freakin sweet!

Dude.

http://www.selleanatomica.com/ Period. It is expensive but it will last forever and you can move it from bike to bike when you upgrade. IT's that good.

I have a cheap $40 Specialized BG saddle on my MTB. Favorite saddle ever. With this in mind, and considering that the Spec dealer is about a 3 minute ride from my house (it actually takes longer to drive there with the traffic lights), I set out to get a saddle for my road bike when I bought it. Long story short, I ended up going through 3 different models, different price points (up to $120) and countless adjustments before giving up on Specialized. Their road saddles are awful. I am currently riding a worn out Selle italia which is better than any of the Specialized saddles I tried.

If you want to spend $100, check out a Brooks dealer. They make one with a cutout but I've found that the brick & mortar stores which deal Brooks usually don't have this in and you can't, therefore, test ride it before you buy.

Every manufacturer I can think of these days offer a comfort guarantee for a couple months. Keep your receipt and packaging in case you have to return it.

I'm on the iPad. When I get back on the laptop I'll be emailing the graphics so we can get started.

Back