JC Cyclists.

Just to hit a few key points:

I don't think too highly of Cannondale. I think you can buy more bike for less money. Even when they were made in the US they were laughed at as "crack n fails." Now they're owned by a Canadian company and built in Asia (as are most big name brands, these days). They also had that whole bottom bracket thing going on awhile back with the press-fit BBs coming loose from carbon frames. The factory wouldn't support a repair and only offered a price break on a new frame. That's a big slap in the face if you're buying a high end model. I believe that 3rd party support came in and engineered some sort of repair but I don't know much about it.

Do yourself a favor and at least go ride something with Campagnolo gruppo before plunking down the cash. It may be snobbery but I much prefer my base model Campy Veloce to the Ultegra on my wife's ride. My dad's rig has Record - wow. I believe Record these days is carbon, and the highest end metal group is Centaur or Chorus. I have not ridden SRAM but I would like to.

Demo as much as you can for as long as you can. Really, all the big name companies are going to have similar bikes with similar components priced comparatively. At a certain price point you have bikes with 105, Ultegra, then comes carbon, D-A, etc.. Buy whichever fits comfortably and puts a smile on your face.

Overall, I'm not entirely sold on carbon. After dealing with it in airplanes, I'm not sure I want any part of it on a bike. What's the life expectancy? The capacity for field or factory repairs if it gets knicked? Carbon is fine for forks - if it breaks, throw it away and buy another. That could get expensive with frames.

It may not add much to your current situation, but I'm planning to ride my current rig until I can afford to get something custom made by Seven, Moots, or Eriksen (I only have eyes for you, Ti). I don't see much use in dropping $3k on a bike off an assembly line. Ride a few more years on what you have, save up, and get a custom bike for a few $$k more. You'll never ever have to buy another frame unless you crash, you can upgrade components as they become outdated, and it's custom!! It will fit in all the right places every single time.

My 2 cents.

Roundout, great advice and I have been hearing similar opinions on Cannondale, though the CAAD10 seems to get good reviews. That said, I have already ruled that out after riding one today. I did not like the ride compared to others I tested. Everything else was carbon and I need to research that because you bring up some good points. I have friends riding nearly ten year old carbon fiber bikes and they are still going strong, but a hard hit could certainly take the frame out of action.

I rode several other bikes today, each on a short five mile circuit that had a little of everything to give me the feel. Today it came down to two: A Trek Madone 6.7 Ultegra from last year that was marked down quite a bit, but still well above my range, and a Orbea Opal SRAM Force, which is also now not in their line, but was discounted from about $5K to the low $3k range. I liked both of these bikes quite a bit, but I think I liked the stiffer feel of the Orbea best. I had pedals on both bikes so I kept A/Bing them on a shorter ride and I really liked the Orbea each time.

Will test more in the coming week, but those two were probably the best deals I was going to find in terms of getting the most bike for the money. The Orbea is calling me for sure!

Have you guys considered starting a JC Cycling Group?
A few companies I have done business with had cyclist groups (employees, managers and if not too fat, owners) which would have their own uniforms to represent during bicycling events.
Showed up during charity and fundraising bicycle events and some even competed. You go "as you can" - so there's no obligation...

Pretty sure stuff like that could be done, apparel is not too hard to produce, and I wouldn't be hesitant to put a Jetcareers decal on my bike, either.
Just an idea.

Have you guys considered starting a JC Cycling Group?
A few companies I have done business with had cyclist groups (employees, managers and if not too fat, owners) which would have their own uniforms to represent during bicycling events.
Showed up during charity and fundraising bicycle events and some even competed. You go "as you can" - so there's no obligation...

Pretty sure stuff like that could be done, apparel is not too hard to produce, and I wouldn't be hesitant to put a Jetcareers decal on my bike, either.
Just an idea.

I'd be into that.

Never been into jerseys with brand names plastered all over them, but I would wear a JC one with pride!

Roundout, great advice and I have been hearing similar opinions on Cannondale, though the CAAD10 seems to get good reviews. That said, I have already ruled that out after riding one today. I did not like the ride compared to others I tested. Everything else was carbon and I need to research that because you bring up some good points. I have friends riding nearly ten year old carbon fiber bikes and they are still going strong, but a hard hit could certainly take the frame out of action.

I rode several other bikes today, each on a short five mile circuit that had a little of everything to give me the feel. Today it came down to two: A Trek Madone 6.7 Ultegra from last year that was marked down quite a bit, but still well above my range, and a Orbea Opal SRAM Force, which is also now not in their line, but was discounted from about $5K to the low $3k range. I liked both of these bikes quite a bit, but I think I liked the stiffer feel of the Orbea best. I had pedals on both bikes so I kept A/Bing them on a shorter ride and I really liked the Orbea each time.

Will test more in the coming week, but those two were probably the best deals I was going to find in terms of getting the most bike for the money. The Orbea is calling me for sure!

As I said before too all the TREK carbon frames come with lifetime warrantees so if they ever crack or break, obviously not in a crash, they covered 100% with the newest model of what you had. Cerevlo offers the same deal.

Can't wait to hear what you decide to get.

Never been into jerseys with brand names plastered all over them, but I would wear a JC one with pride!

I would probably never put anything on my bike, just really protective, but if Doug of Kristie wanted to make a design and contract with a company to make them I would buy a JC Jersey. I have worn many different jersey makes and so far my favorite is Hincapie, but I like a lot of others too. I sent Kriste a PM about it tonight, Lets get a head count on how many people would be interested in JC apparrel and how much you would be willing to spend. I think a good Jersey, custom made, even if we were to order 100 would probably cost around $100 a pop. Lets see the hands guys. Who wants to Join Team JC?

Normally I won't pay that much for apparel but in this case I would. As an side, does anybody know why cycling apparel is so freaking expensive?

So pretty off topic, but as cyclists say they want to be treated like any other vehicle on the road( ie dont pass me/run me off the road), do all the same traffic rules apply? I always see cyclists not stopping for stop signs, and running red lights. They are not doing it unsafely, but if i did it on my motorcycle i would get a ticket.

So pretty off topic, but as cyclists say they want to be treated like any other vehicle on the road( ie dont pass me/run me off the road), do all the same traffic rules apply? I always see cyclists not stopping for stop signs, and running red lights. They are not doing it unsafely, but if i did it on my motorcycle i would get a ticket.

Absolutely. Cyclists are required, as vehicles of the road, to follow all traffic laws. As a cyclist, when I see other riders not follow the traffic laws it really pisses me off because it gives the rest of us a bad image. It isn’t necessarily us wanting to take over the road but the law that keeps us on roads. It is illegal for a cyclist to ride on a pedestrian sidewalk unless it is designated as a bike path. I have plenty of friends that constantly complain about the one or two riders a week that they interact with and I always remind them that there are probably a dozen people in cars that do something stupid every day that pisses them off more. Really puts it in perspective.

I might be up for a JC jersey. Gotta see how deep in the hole I get myself in the coming week or so.

Regarding the cost, I see a few places with pricing on line for full custom jerseys. This one, mtborah.com, looks half decent and the prices run $82.50 for 6-12 or $72.50 for 13-24. It drops down into the $60's after that, but you need 25+. That is for a short sleeve jersey with a 7" Zipper. From the pictures they look pretty good, but no idea on fabrics etc.

I have a CAAD9 and SuperSix Hi Mod, and I think the CAAD10 might be my next bike. I generally ride the SuperSix in the warmer and dryer months and the CAAD9 in the winter. Both bikes are very lively but the SuperSix being carbon soaks up some road vibration. I test rode the CAAD10 and it was very similar to the SuperSix. It's also very light and hopefully will last longer since it's aluminum.

Regarding the cost, I see a few places with pricing on line for full custom jerseys. This one, mtborah.com, looks half decent and the prices run $82.50 for 6-12 or $72.50 for 13-24. It drops down into the $60's after that, but you need 25+. That is for a short sleeve jersey with a 7" Zipper.

if you're trying to get a numbers idea, put me down for two.

I'm going to try to touch on a few thoughts that I have.....

First, I like Cannondale however, as others have mentioned, I think you can get more bike for less. Personally, I like FUJI. The TREK bikes are nice as well, but my FUJI mtn. bike has served me well and I am looking into a FUJI road bike. I actually want to start doing some of the bigger races out west (damn I'm getting old if I am turning to cycling).

Second, with regards to custom jerseys, Gemini Sports Marketing (http://g2gemini.com/) out of Minnesota does a great job. We have them do our tournament archery shirts and I have them do my tournament fishing shirts. They have images of just about all of the major companies in the industry. You get to put your sponsors where ever you want, with the ones giving you a better contract the prime space (ie: chest, back, sleeves, etc.)

Lastly, who saw all of the big crashes at the Tour-Stage 9 today? I can not believe the number of BAD crashes and that French television car clipping that rider was unreal!

Would the jerseys be a requirement at JC Vegas?

if you're trying to get a numbers idea, put me down for two.

I would be down for two as well, if my wife wants one, I am sure she will, then three. Full length hidden zippers on the Jersey is the only way to go. Half zips are a pain.

After some research Hincapie has just as good of pricing as any I have seen and are my favorite Jerseys for both fit and comfort. If we do this we should go with Short sleeve, race cut, and full length zippers. Here is the Hincapie custom site.
http://www.hincapie.com/custom/product_details.aspx?id=C100M11

I found another site where you can actually play around with design ideas for jerseys.
http://www.owayo.com/cycling.htm

and another site

http://www.jeksports.com/pricing.htm

I would even be down for Bibs and hell even leg and arm warmers too. Let me know what you think Doug, if you want to proceed and need a hand let me know.
I can help with anything from getting sizes and orders to helping with designs and what to go with. Just let me know.

Back