It's official: Virgin America to merge with Alaska Airlines

What do you mean, if I correct in assuming you are a first year Alaska pilot? If so, you should be covered. You are an ALPA member and by the time it is all official and closes, you'll be off probation.

Even if a pilot is on probation, they still are covered by ALPA merger policy. They just are probably going to be near the bottom of the list, no matter which property they are on.

Even if a pilot is on probation, they still are covered by ALPA merger policy. They just are probably going to be near the bottom of the list, no matter which property they are on.

But he's on property prior to DCN.

I, quite often, deal with the "Well, back at Brand X, this would have NEVER happened"…

Corporate inertia, even in a well executed merger, is certainly a thing.

The new stage of caterwauling is about to begin when the new ACARS software goes from R2 displaying "< NWA REQUESTS" to "< DAL REQUESTS". @Richman's phone shall ring off the hook at the grand injustice…. crap, that is an anachronistic expression!

The key to happy "customers" is to make sure you take everyone's questions/comments/complaints seriously, and not just act like you do.

Richman

Here's Richard Branson on failing to stop the acquisition:

"There's nothing I could do..."
718.gif

DCN?
I'm guess that's some acronym for when the snapshot is taken?

Date of Constructive Notice. I've seen a couple different terms for it. Basically the date on which a pilot knows that a combination of airlines has been announced to take place and would expect to be DoH.

There is a group that prefers Alaska to JetBlue. That group is VA's board and the stock-holders they represent.

Alaska has $1.3B in cash! I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a move to pay that back out as dividends.

I think Alaska over-paid. Most M&A deals result in a loss of net value.
Pay dividends? Like to shareholders? Surely, you jest: that's not the point of insane profits at all!

(no, seriously, it hasn't been.)

It's going to be very interesting how AS management approaches this. The AS PWA is severely lacking in the scope department, and VX doesn't even have a PWA.

Meanwhile any AS or VX pilot on an internet forum during the process:
having_a_bad_day_at_work-68981.gif

Going from "Proudly all Boeing" to "Proudly half Airbus". Not a jab at the A-320 at all. Very comfortable aircraft as a pax.

It's going to be very interesting how AS management approaches this. The AS PWA is severely lacking in the scope department, and VX doesn't even have a PWA.

Meanwhile any AS or VX pilot on an internet forum during the process:
having_a_bad_day_at_work-68981.gif

They are already saying single carrier and touting the savings of merged airlines.

What's with all the bros? If you're at Virgin or Alaska as a 1st year pilot, you are okay. The probation thing isn't going to be used against you for this matter.

Unless they kill off the 6% route overlap and get rid of some leased Airbus and/or 737-700s. Then those on the bottom may not be safe.

Back