It's official: Virgin America to merge with Alaska Airlines

It's kind of a shame that all the work the JetBlue pilots put into integrating the seniority lists is going to be wasted.

I still can't believe some of their stuff on APC. Some think they're the bees knees whereas the reality is it's the same damn plane and jetBlue had been flying just 7 years sooner than VX. But somehow that means first guy should show up on the jetBlue list in 2007 and then a 5-to-1 staple job after that.

It's only a matter of time before the rest of the remaining LCCs are forced to merge. jetBlue, Hawaiian, Spirit, Frontier, Hawaiian, Allegiant, potentially Southwest, and Sun Country. It will be somewhat comical to see these select-few jetBlue guys spew their SLI talks when it's an airline more senior to them. Of course they'll do an about face.

Unless they kill off the 6% route overlap and get rid of some leased Airbus and/or 737-700s. Then those on the bottom may not be safe.

Fair point. But keep in mind that of the recent airline mergers, DL/NW, UA/CO, AA/US, none had to furlough pilots as a result of the merger. And those mergers were in 2008-2013 when the economy was in a recession and recovery phase. For 2015 and 2016 (so far) the economy is excellent as far as high demand for travel, low cost of oil, and profitable airlines all around. Assuming no 'Act(s) of God' events, I can't imagine them having to furlough any pilot as a result of this merger.

Things not to do #5,328...........

Emailing your new CEO of the acquiring airline, stressing your personal opinions and support for keeping a certain base (NYC) open after the merger.

shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

Not me of course. No way would I ever email an airline CEO about anything. Unless it was required as being part of the MEC or something.

Or it went right into the evidence folder like that doofus that emailed the judge about the overweight, nearsighted America West pilots.

Oh lord.

That bested SouthernJet's very own chest-bumping "You ain't a rocket surgeon!" by leaps and bounds.

Oh lord.

That bested SouthernJet's very own chest-bumping "You ain't a rocket surgeon!" by leaps and bounds.

Well, he was probably taking a bath on his gold futures. That tends to stress "the smartest man in the room" out.

Well, he was probably taking a bath on his gold futures. That tends to stress "the smartest man in the room" out.

Ah yes, the "smartest man in the room". He's probably still made at me for giving in the "talk to the hand" gesture when I was having a private conversation with the ATL LEC vice chair (the one with the massively awesome coiffure) and he kept trying to interrupt.

Last edited:
IMO no matter where you are on either list, long term this is a good move in order to better compete with the remaining carriers which have all merged. A sub 100 plane stand-alone operation prospects long term are very dicey at best. I'm looking forward to working with fellow Alaskans / Eskimos :)

Back