It's official: Virgin America to merge with Alaska Airlines

Hey @Derg when Delta / NWA merger was announced April 2008, obviously each had its own CBA. But before the SLI process, what was the combined airline's pilot CBA / PWA? Did management start from scratch and get both pilots a new, joined pilot contract? Or, did the NWA guys just get the Delta PWA applied to them and that counted as a JCBA?

Hey @Derg when Delta / NWA merger was announced April 2008, obviously each had its own CBA. But before the SLI process, what was the combined airline's pilot CBA / PWA? Did management start from scratch and get both pilots a new, joined pilot contract? Or, did the NWA guys just get the Delta PWA applied to them and that counted as a JCBA?

I really forget the timeframe. @Richman?

There is no starting from scratch. Usually they take the good from both agreements and try to incorporate that into the JCBA. In a perfect world you get everything you ask for but you know that is rarely the case. When we merged the three airlines back in the day we got the Mesaba contract because Colgan didn't have one and PCL's was lacking in certain areas. Now the healthcare that PCL brought to the table was great but unrealistic in 2011.

Lets suppose airline A has a contract and airline B technically doesn't. I guess what I was trying to ask was, for a JCBA, can airline B just be "given" exactly the same contract airline A already has and call that the new JCBA? Or, would there have to be negotiations with management for an entirely new contract?

Lets suppose airline A has a contract and airline B technically doesn't. I guess what I was trying to ask was, for a JCBA, can airline B just be "given" exactly the same contract airline A already has and call that the new JCBA? Or, would there have to be negotiations with management for an entirely new contract?
Well, considering that Alaska is in or soon to be section 6, they'd be foolish to not take advantage of this situation and use the leverage it provides. Both pilot groups would supply members for the NC.

I really forget the timeframe. @Richman

Without starting a war or hurting feelings, it was the Delta contract with virtually no stuff from NWA, even in areas that were better such as instructor compesnation/benefits, training and position bidding.

Just the way it went down. Lots of NIH.

Richman

Without starting a war or hurting feelings, it was the Delta contract with virtually no stuff from NWA, even in areas that were better such as instructor compesnation/benefits, training and position bidding.

Just the way it went down. Lots of NIH.

Richman

To clarify though, it wasn't just the at-the-time current PWA that automatically applied to NWA pilots, instead, it was a "new" joined contract that was written up by basically using most of the language in the Delta contract. Correct?

Alright, sounds good.

Timeline wise, "Delta and Northwest's operating certificates were merged on December 31, 2009."

So how long after this date did it take to get the joined pilot contract? And then how long after for the SLI award? Just trying to gauge what the timeline looked like.

DAL/NWA and AK/VX both were announced in an April and both stated similar times for shareholder approval, regulatory approval, and SOC date. It seems DAL/NWA hit every milestone of approval on the dot.

Alright, sounds good.

Timeline wise, "Delta and Northwest's operating certificates were merged on December 31, 2009."

So how long after this date did it take to get the joined pilot contract? And then how long after for the SLI award? Just trying to gauge what the timeline looked like.

DAL/NWA and AK/VX both were announced in an April and both stated similar times for shareholder approval, regulatory approval, and SOC date. It seems DAL/NWA hit every milestone of approval on the dot.

Well, how experienced is your team at VX? Remember past performance isn't indicative of future results and if you're not careful, you can get "Air Tran'd" or "Ewesssaaaaaired" with catlike quickness.

Well, how experienced is your team at VX? Remember past performance isn't indicative of future results and if you're not careful, you can get "Air Tran'd" or "Ewesssaaaaaired" with catlike quickness.

Well lets see, the MEC consists of senior guys from Midwest Express, TWA, AWA, and Aloha. I'd say they've been around the block. And then some.

Which isn't to say one can't be screwed, but experience isn't the issue here.

This. Highly dependent on the situation and, yes, personalities involved.

A good, open minded collective approach by all parties looking to "cherry pick" and maximize overall improvements will probably take longer.

That's all I'm going to say about this topic.

Richman

Back