It's official: Virgin America to merge with Alaska Airlines

I don't think adding a hat or tie really helps with the bell hop perception.

Or professionalism, or (insert whatever you'd like here). It's a tie, or a hat, or a coat/jacket. It doesn't make you anything. It's like a tattoo. Some of the most professional, best pilots I know, have to wear long sleeves.

I keep hearing this will put Alaska at number 5. Jc, how big is Alaska? B6 is sitting at almost 3300 pilots and 220+ a/c. I never realized Alaska was that large.

Fact sheeting showing 219 + 60 for fleet, plus new deliveries. So over 280. It will become the 5th largest airline after the 3 legacies and SWA.

So much for the internet being right about Jet Blue and Virgin. Thought I read somewhere they are going to stay on seperate operating certificates.

image.jpg

No wonder the Eskimo is smiling. He's getting a V*****!

What do you think this means for Alaska hiring and all the people currently in the pool?

Or professionalism, or (insert whatever you'd like here). It's a tie, or a hat, or a coat/jacket. It doesn't make you anything. It's like a tattoo. Some of the most professional, best pilots I know, have to wear long sleeves.

If I did an experiment where I asked people to rate their confidence in their pilot and showed them photos of a highly polished, clean cut, well groomed pilot, and showed another group a photo of an overweight, shirt wrinkled and partially un-tucked pilot, do you think they'd rate them the same?

If you randomly selected two groups of guys, one to wear suits to work each day, and the others to wear khakis and a polo, do you think there'd be a difference in how they perceived themselves professionally?

If I did an experiment where I asked people to rate their confidence in their pilot and showed them photos of a highly polished, clean cut, well groomed pilot, and showed another group a photo of an overweight, shirt wrinkled and partially un-tucked pilot, do you think they'd rate them the same?

If you randomly selected two groups of guys, one to wear suits to work each day, and the others to wear khakis and a polo, do you think there'd be a difference in how they perceived themselves professionally?
...and then they'd get right on board with the slob if the ticket was $10 cheaper.

The people that chase the "it's cheaper!" price are always going to chase the "it's cheaper!" price regardless. They're fickle, treat your airline like a urinal and have zero loyalty to your product. You will always be battling the new entrants with the introductory fares, think SWA in ATL then Frontier and Spirit show up to the party.

The high value customer, however, you've got to bring your "A Game" to retain. Everyone is after your best customers, every day.

A good percentage of your high value customers (or their travel departments or secretaries) never go to the "price grid" on Orbitz and book directly from their chosen airline's web page and don't really have the opportunity see the "Fly a beat up Tu-154 with the Chechen ACMI crew to Fresno for cheaper!"

Bossman says look sharp, tie your shoes and we'll throw money at you, do it. :)

(No offense to the Chechens and I'd like a chance to ride on a Tu-154 "Seven Twoski")

Inertia is a thing, in any organization, be it a merger or a bankruptcy situation.

I, quite often, deal with the "Well, back at Brand X, this would have NEVER happened"…

Corporate inertia, even in a well executed merger, is certainly a thing.

The new stage of caterwauling is about to begin when the new ACARS software goes from R2 displaying "< NWA REQUESTS" to "< DAL REQUESTS". @Richman's phone shall ring off the hook at the grand injustice…. crap, that is an anachronistic expression!

I don't understand why people keep saying they'd prefer jetblue have this deal? Nothing against Jetblue but if anyone's presence should be greater on the west coast, it should be alaska. just my opinion though.

Back