Instrument Checkride Report

element94

Hey Guys,

I passed my instrument checkride on Friday, and through I'd give a write up.

The week before the ride I had the utmost confidence in my ability to pass, but as the date of the ride approached, I just got more and more nervous. I think I woke up 2-3 times the night before, and maybe got 3 hours of sleep max. I wasn't too worried about the basic instrument flying stuff...it was more stupid errors I could make during the checkride that would result in a bust (like holding at 3mi legs instead of 2mi as specified, which happened during my review flight the day before). Got to the airport early, and planned out my cross-country an hour before the examiner got there.

[The ride itself]:

Has anyone ever logged cross-country time during a checkride? We flew LAF-DNV-RWN-LAF...and actually did landings. Ironically, most of my instrument training has been during perfect VMC days, with a few cumulus clouds here and there accounting for the few tenths of actual I did get. For the checkride, we were struggling to maintain VFR the entire time, with 3sm of visibility for almost the entire flight, including intermittent precipitation and "low" ceilings (2500-3000ft). We took off out of LAF, proceeded direct to the Danville (DNV) VOR, and then received "vectors" (from the DPE) for the VOR/DME 3. He failed both AHRS units, and made it partial panel to boot. Upon arriving at the MDA and the examiner calling "field in sight", I determined we were too high, and not in a safe position to land, so I went around. He said to make a left 360 and land, since he wanted me to land there, but that I needed to descend faster to the MDA.

We landed and taxied back to runway 3, and I picked up my clearance to RWN. On the takeoff, I noticed I put no flaps in. I continued the takeoff, noting that the airplane was both certified for no flap takeoffs, we had sufficient runway to complete the takeoff, and that it was probably unwise to change the airplane configuration during the takeoff roll. In retrospect, I should've aborted the takeoff, taxied back, and re-run the entire before takeoff checklist.

We flew to RWN using the autopilot of the GFC 700, and I demonstrated a GPS approach into Runway 9. Since that particular approach is LNAV only (not LPV or otherwise), I had to closely monitor the A/P annunciation on the PFD...in fact, since the GFC 700 flight director follows the LNAV+V generated glidepath, in APP mode it will continue to follow the glidepath below minimums unless you disarm the GS vertical speed mode and engage ALT HOLD at the MDA (which I did). We went missed, flew out to the hold, I entered it direct, and after he was satisfied I knew what I was doing, we did some unusual attitudes (which were pretty mild compared to what my CFII was doing).

We then headed back to LAF, and I was debriefed on the way back since he was fairly confident that I could complete the ILS approach to minimums and land...and he had to go teach a class afterward. Apparently I did a pretty good job.

Now I'm instrument rated :beer:

I actually rented a plane a few hours later and flew down to IND with a friend to pop through a few clouds. I was even a little timid to do that...I guess it'll take a little more experience before I'm comfortable going down to 200-1/2...

Now I just have to prepare for my commercial ride next Friday :crazy:

Back