NTSB report is out for the Falcon at MYF and it is a doozy

Speaking of, since airlines are hiring any pilot with a few hours and a pulse right now; are interview prep service places even needed anymore?
This drives me up a wall. I've had numerous friends get sent home from major interviews. Good people, and good pilots. It's is absolutely not a "yeah yeah I'm here, when do I start?" proposition anywhere.
That said, I think interview prep is a mixed bag. I spent a lot of money on interview prep a couple years ago for a legacy job I really, really wanted at the time. Ultimately I walked out of there and all I had to show for it was another year of seniority at my current job. Had all my stories down, etc from prep companies that made me think I was taking the right approach according to their formula. Looking back I probably went in and sounded like a complete robot trying to recall some flashcards. The basic advice was useful in that there's a set of challenges you're probably going to face at any airline, have a story that kind of fits each one, and more importantly how you resolved it and what you learned from it. Got two subsequent CJOs after that rejection largely I think by realizing I'm having a conversation with a few people and by being myself. I think the initial prep helped in my approach to thinking of good stories, but ultimately if people treat interview prep like a rehearsal for a play it can go wrong.

My two cents, mileage may vary, void where prohibited.

This drives me up a wall. I've had numerous friends get sent home from major interviews. Good people, and good pilots. It's is absolutely not a "yeah yeah I'm here, when do I start?" proposition anywhere.
That said, I think interview prep is a mixed bag. I spent a lot of money on interview prep a couple years ago for a legacy job I really, really wanted at the time. Ultimately I walked out of there and all I had to show for it was another year of seniority at my current job. Had all my stories down, etc from prep companies that made me think I was taking the right approach according to their formula. Looking back I probably went in and sounded like a complete robot trying to recall some flashcards. The basic advice was useful in that there's a set of challenges you're probably going to face at any airline, have a story that kind of fits each one, and more importantly how you resolved it and what you learned from it. Got two subsequent CJOs after that rejection largely I think by realizing I'm having a conversation with a few people and by being myself. I think the initial prep helped in my approach to thinking of good stories, but ultimately if people treat interview prep like a rehearsal for a play it can go wrong.

My two cents, mileage may vary, void where prohibited.
I think we’re past peak silliness.

How many industries have you interviewed in? And how many pilot interviews have you been involved in?
To be fair he isn't wrong to an extent. The one time I used prep there was a lot of emphasis on stuff like "be nice to the people on your deadhead, be nice to the people at the hotel, you never know who is watching!" "Uhh, I mean, shouldn't you not be a jerk to people in general?"
"Sit up straight, brush your teeth that morning, look them in the eye, don't make inappropriate comments." I mean, my take is if someone needs to pay for that kind of advice, well....
But there's probably also a reason someone is going "ugh, I guess we have to tell people this?"

To be fair he isn't wrong to an extent. The one time I used prep there was a lot of emphasis on stuff like "be nice to the people on your deadhead, be nice to the people at the hotel, you never know who is watching!" "Uhh, I mean, shouldn't you not be a jerk to people in general?"
"Sit up straight, brush your teeth that morning, look them in the eye, don't make inappropriate comments." I mean, my take is if someone needs to pay for that kind of advice, well....
But there's probably also a reason someone is going "ugh, I guess we have to tell people this?"
Maybe I do know how to people after all?

Have seen the same with pilots I know personally…..a few guys I thought were shoe-ins and didn’t get selected; but more that I would’ve thought were sure TBNTs, but got hired anyway. And that was merely judging them by their skills and abilities

Speaking of, since airlines are hiring any pilot with a few hours and a pulse right now; are interview prep service places even needed anymore?

Nah, if no one meets the standard, no one gets hired.

How many industries have you interviewed in? And how many pilot interviews have you been involved in?

Pizza joint at 18, 1 interview at a Flight Ops internship during college, 3 interviews during senior year college for engineering firms, 1 interview at a regional, 1 interview at a LCC/Major.

I've friends with and have spoken with those on hiring teams, especially at VX. All it takes is a "tell me your crazy story" and then you'll be told by the HR person, that an applicant once shook her hand, then took the back of her hand, brought it to his lips, and kissed it. Yes, this actually happened. That's just one. There's maaaaaaany stories I got straight from the horse's mouth.

Pilots are mostly type As. This job attracts a certain kind of person. And many of those type As just don't interview well.

I never took any interview prep course. During my VX interview, I was asked where do you see yourself in 5 yrs?

Now if you were a prepped robot, you'd probably respond that you'd love to see yourself at this airline, and you might be a CA, and you're only interested in working here long term (lies - you know you'd leave if Delta or United called). Me? No prep course. So when the HR lady asked me where I saw myself in 5 yrs, I spoke with what came to mind. I said I've been married about 2 and half years at that point, my wife was finishing college that year, that we'd like to start a family soon and at some point buy a family home where we can put roots down. My answer had 0 to do with the airline. Then I gulped and realized maybe I should have said something about the airline, and ended the answer with being here at this airline while accomplishing those things. But that was a secondary answer. I had a feeling the HR lady liked the answer - it was honest and it wasn't forced. I just answered that question with what came to mind.

I was hired.

Of the 11, 5 were hired, 6 were not. ALL 6 had major bungle-ups in their group interview portion. Where it made me think, wow did he really say that? Or did this really just happen? They tanked themselves in the group portion, and who knows how the 3-on-1 individual panel interviews went.

I'm a low timer. I've only heard stories. What were they like?

They could be useful in determining if a person could a) fly instrument procedures, b) utilize a second pilot to help them out, and c) prioritize and compartmentalize. They could also be ridiculous if they would fail you on being a half dot off on a localizer while hand flying a twitchy sim doing its best (poorly) of replicating a jet aircraft when the totality of your flight experience was in light GA pistons.

Even within CG limits and close to gross, you’ll need to pull the yoke to the aft limits to get the nose off the ground.

Color me shocked.

NOT!

Yet another Airlinie. Nope, I wouldn’t step aboard an Airlinie jet.

Opinion changed about Airlinies for the better: 0.

Opinion changed about Airlinies for the worse: +100

Dude, surely you see the idiocy of your comparison here. If you have to use an airline from a third world country to prove your point, you're most certainly stretching.

AMERICAN 121 carriers are infinitely safer than any corporate operation. Period. The accident statistics bear this out pretty clearly.

Back