initial training Jetblue LOOOOOOng..

RABIRZA69

Penalty vectorer
as some of you may or may not know ive been hired by jetblue in their airport ops/ground ops dept, i was originally hired a while back but had to delay the training process becasue of a problem with my background check...(thank g-d it worked out). I thought that i would share with you guys/gals about some of the experiences ive had over the last few days. where should i start.. Dave neeleman the CEO of jetblue was there for day one of orientation. the only way i can describe him is a real standup gentleman he has a real passion for this airline and is always thinking outside the box it is amazing how this company is pulling a profit, expanding, building, buying in the state that the industry is in right now. next we had mike barger director of Jet Blue University (JBU) there training center for all depts. he is an ex f18 guy and also flies the a320 he actually picked the first one up in france for them. he did a whole 2 hour bit on aviation economics .. rasm's casm's asm's .. while it was a bit to take in in the begining it all made sense after there were some numbers up there.. Jetblues cost per available seat mile for a JFK->FLL trip is 7 cents that is extremely low considering twa's is something like 14 cents.. (these are numbers quoted from my orientation accuracy is unkown) and song had a BELF of like 80% for that trip so it is easy to see how they are so succesfull. with the introduction of the ERJ 190 which jetblue purchased a 100 of and will recieve them in 2005 they kept the cost per available seat mile with in a penny up or down for each trip they do..(not saying that the erj will be doing jfk->LGB legs .. hypothetically though. after that they really go into detail about what keeps them going.. there approach is happy crewmembers = hapy customers. that simple give the employees everything within reason that they want and they will return the favor to the customer... profit sharing last year was 17% of each crewmembers salary ...WOW..... so JB is opening 3 more cities by the end of this year , PHX, LGA, &NAS. I will be opening LGA btw it will start with 7 flights per day from LGA ->FLL hopefully it will grow .. if not it will end up with the same destiny as JB in ATL had... JB is also in the talks of starting service to Mexico sometime soon... they are also building a new billion dollar terminal at JFK..

ok enough of that lets get back to training so today (wed) was day one of training since im cross training for ramp and csr svc my training is longer. we went over basic stuff like city codes (which I knew because i am un pilota) routes and fundamentals of csr svc like smiling and men not wearing makeup. fastforward to lunch i walk down the hall towards the restroom and i peak in and bam an A320 cockpit is sitting there so i jumped in the seat and began my speach of how i was turning on the fasten seatbelt signs... one day i said to myself. (i need to figure out who runs this thing so i can use it, that is my mission tomorrow)... after lunch we went over a few more things and found out that we will be going to JFK tomorrow for OJT and will be getting a tour of the A320 and be able to sit in the COCKPIT. pictures will be posted immediatly following my return to home.. its pretty cool with their paperless cockpit system and all.. wish i had the camera for the sim.

so my goal with this company is to stay with them for about 7 more years or so in the mean time getting my CFI gaining some hours taking PT at JB getting some multie somehwere yadada yaadada.. then kissing the Chief pilots ass and telling him how ive been with the company for 7 yrs and im qualifed and he doesnt even need to do a background check because im already an employee...yadadadad please mr chief pilot can i drive your ERJ's?

Hey ya never know

i will be updating with training and stuff letting you know what goes on tomorrow we do hazmat training woohooooo!

RABBI

BTW JB recieved 130,000 apps this year of which 2400 were hired.. i consider myself very very lucky.. if anyone has q's about the interview process email me at rabirza69@aol.com

[ QUOTE ]
Jetblues cost per available seat mile for a JFK->FLL trip is 7 cents that is extremely low considering twa's is something like 14 cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to nitpick, but I doubt if TWA's CASM is 14 cents. Now AMERICAN's might be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sounds like JetBlue training is very similar to SWA's in Dallas. Although, they didn't give us poor, dumb rampers a run down on costs, routes, etc. If you knew the city codes, you had a job. Coolest part of training for me was getting to check out the 737 sims next door to SWA HQ. The HQ building is pretty sweet, too. It's aligned with one of the runways at DAL, and the cafeteria overlooks the whole airport. I actually ran into Herb and Colleen in the hallways, and they actually stopped to TALK to us. Never had higher ups do that to lowly new highers before. I'm glad to see that JetBlue's management participates in the training classes as well.

[ QUOTE ]
so my goal with this company is to stay with them for about 7 more years or so in the mean time getting my CFI gaining some hours taking PT at JB getting some multie somehwere yadada yaadada.. then kissing the Chief pilots ass and telling him how ive been with the company for 7 yrs and im qualifed and he doesnt even need to do a background check because im already an employee...yadadadad please mr chief pilot can i drive your ERJ's?

[/ QUOTE ]

I SOOOO wish SWA flew RJs or something similar. I hated to leave there. Sounds like a good plan. I'm going to try to get back to SWA as soon as I have 1000 PIC and the extra $$$ to spend on the type, which may mean I'll never be back there. Here's hoping that by the time you get to that point, JetBlue has upped the pay rates for the 190s.

It's awesome to see someone finally working for JetBlue. I plan to do something similar as you when I turn 18.

Hi Rabirz

Good luck with your new job.
if you dont mine sharing this information, what is the hourly rate for your job or any other similar job like customer service agent at jet blue? pay range not your exact hourly rate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well, not JetBlue, but here's SWA's starting for ramper, $8.75. After the first year, you jump over $10/hr, though. I think CSAs MIGHT start out a little higher.

As for Mesaba it is $9.00. Should here from them this week for a PT job. PT job and full flight bene's. Yippee !!

Sounds like a good plan and a good airline.

If I were you I would not wait 7 years to "kiss some chief pilot a**", instead I would do this:

After a comfortable time, but not too long, I would go into Dave Bushy's office and introduce myself. Tell him what your goals are and ask him for advice. Dave is a stand up guy who comes from a general aviation background. I guarantee you will get a good response if you catch him at a time when he can accomodate you.

I'd be sure to send him a thank you note through company mail, then I'd keep in touch at least a couple times a year, updating him on your progress. JetBlue is small enough that you might run into him, make sure you say hello when you do.

You might do the same with some of the other CPs.

The goal is to get on their radar, make a good impression, show yourself to be both enthusiastic and professional.

If you do all that and keep working on the flying, things may pop sooner than you think.

Also keep in mind, you may need to leave JetBlue for awhile to fly full time for someone and build time. But if you do you should have already built some solid contacts that could pay off.

Good luck,

Dave

[ QUOTE ]
Well, not JetBlue, but here's SWA's starting for ramper, $8.75. After the first year, you jump over $10/hr, though. I think CSAs MIGHT start out a little higher.

[/ QUOTE ]

$8.75 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

our starting pay for rampers and customer service agents is $10.50/hr with a raise each year on your anniversary.. the rampers have virtually unlimited OT at time and a half..also if you work nights you get the night differentail which i think is about ten percent

ok so today i learned there reservation system, very easy and very user friendly, (did you know the people that do the phone reservations at jetblue are all working from home in SLC). we also covered CFR 382 which is the disability policy from the DOT. there is some pretty interesting stuff in there if anyone is interested you can find it at click here stuff about service animals and emotional support animals.. yada yada. i also registered today for their stock purchase plan seems like a pretty good deal you buy there stock twice a year at 15% below the listed price . i put the full 10% of my check into it which works out to about 40 bucks a week.. i opted out of the 401k because then id be broke after taxes and whatnot. i got lucky that i dont have to pay for health bennies yet because im still covered under my pops as long as im in college. The tour of the A320 yesterday was truly awesome, it is truly a clean looking cockpit no papers anywhere just a laptop and a couple of screens in front of you. the plane was empty as it was in maintenance for water sterilization??? hey flyover thanks for the info unfortunately i havent gotten to meet bushy yet but i met a ramper with about 1000 TT and 200 multi who is still instructing pt hasnt done anything past that. (he hasnt talked to bushy yet either). as soon as i get my foot in the door with this company im gonna try to set something up between them and my school (college of aeronautics) about an internship for the pro pilot program.. curretnly they are sending us on mgt internships which to me is useless i dont want to be mgt i want to drive the damn thing.. so maybe when JB gets there ERJ sims down in MCO we can do something like that for our senior internship.. that would be sweet. maybe even get a type in it.. not that would do any fresh cfi's any good.. but it would be a great learning experience

signing off till next time...
RABBI

BTW what the heck is a ID90 ive gotten different responses from a few different people and noone can give my a straight answer. one moron said it was a retirement plan! we've got agreements with a bunch of different airlines (insert flamebait) indluding gulfstream air..(end flamebait) we can interline with us airways and united but not delta and american.. who decides which airlines interlines with others anyway?

ID90 is a form you fill out (pobably from your pass bureau) that basically discounts 90% of the full fare. So, you only pay 10% (and taxes I THINK) of a full fare ticket. I only ID90ed once on Mesa from ABQ-FMN roundtrip. It costs me like $50 for the round trip ticket.

[ QUOTE ]
ID90 is a form you fill out (pobably from your pass bureau) that basically discounts 90% of the full fare. So, you only pay 10% (and taxes I THINK) of a full fare ticket. I only ID90ed once on Mesa from ABQ-FMN roundtrip. It costs me like $50 for the round trip ticket.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice id90's sound like a good deal.. im in training right now... damn saturday training are they kidding me totally killed my friday night...

just found out JB is putting HUD's on both sides of the cockpit for the E190's sounds pretty cool.

anyway gotta go take a test...

Rabbi

[ QUOTE ]
. damn saturday training are they kidding me totally killed my friday night...

just found out JB is putting HUD's on both sides of the cockpit for the E190's sounds pretty cool.

anyway gotta go take a test...

Rabbi

[/ QUOTE ]

Kids these days. In the old days we didn't let saturday morning classes interfere with friday night activites.

ok so today i got the tour of system ops....all i have to say is WOW. an awesome production they have going on in there.. crew scheduling, dispatchers, a&p's ... i became friendly with the sys ops mgr who is an alumni of my school.. he currently has his ATP written done. young guy definately under 30 and i told him about myself and that i was thinking about getting my dispatchers license,,, so guess who is gonna get it definatly now..!!! im not sure but i think i just did my first bit of networking ever in my career...(besides JC of course) we really hit it off pretty well, in spite of the fact of how busy he was he took time out to sit and talk with me about some things and instructed me to email him on monday. im probably gonna take it at FSI at LGA since LGA is where ill be working. and when im done maybe he'll be able to do something for me.. that would be truly amazing.. i was looking at FSI's website and one of the prereq's for the dispath license was to be 23 yrs old is this true? anyone know?

sleepy time going tuna fishing in the am.
is it chicken or is it tuna?

RABBI

[ QUOTE ]
i was looking at FSI's website and one of the prereq's for the dispath license was to be 23 yrs old is this true? anyone know?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. FAR Part 65.53 lays down the eligibility requirements.

[ QUOTE ]
Where are them pictures /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i wish i had some to post for you BJ but i forgot to bring my camera im sure that ill have a ton of opportunities to take them though.....

im beat tunas beat the crap out of me this morning!

goodnight

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i was looking at FSI's website and one of the prereq's for the dispath license was to be 23 yrs old is this true? anyone know?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. FAR Part 65.53 lays down the eligibility requirements.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey lloyd does this mean that i can take the class take the written and do the oral but hold of on the practical until my bday.. ill be 23 in a year?

what do you think?

You can take the written (which is basically the same as the ATP written) when you are 21, so the results will not expire before your 23rd birthday. Take the practical when you hit 23.

Back