initial CFI oral... FAILED!

So I have to ask...how much do you have to pay the examiner for a retest? Please don't tell me $600 again :aghast:

Is this a new policy that CFI checkrides are now to be done with DPEs instead of inspectors?

I am asking myself the same thing. I will find out in 3 days. My instructor said these guys make up their own rules. They can charge whatever they want, make the oral last however long they want, they just need to follow the PTS. I'll write again w/ an update.

It was w/ a DPE because apparently the FSDO no longer assigns inspectors for this ride. This might just be the local HIO FSDO, but this change happened just in the last month. I was orignally planning on going w/ an FAA inspector, but they called less than a week before my ride saying it had to be w/ a DPE and assigned one for me.

Thanks for all the comments! so as a general reply, I thought I knew systems better than I actually did, so I overlooked that. The #1 problem was not having a well-prepared lesson for it. My examiner said the "knowledge was there, just not the organization." The good part is I only have that to talk about now.

The length of that oral is an FBO record. I went back yesterday and people were asking me about it. Like I said, the guy is 70 years old and he had a lot to say. There was a story for every topic we went over. So you tell 20 ten minute stories and you just made the exam over 3 hrs longer than it needs to be. I'm not gonna cut him off, but when hes talking about his computer or his favorite i-pad apps, I was kind of annoyed.

Good luck on the retest. You made it 9 hours, so you knew your stuff. I would be quite proud of myself if I could handle that.

My CFI initial was the only one I ever busted as well. It happens. 91.213 got me when the CHT gauge died during the run-up and I correctly identified it as not being needed for day VFR but like a complete ass I missed the whole deactivate and placard inop.
What A/C was this? CHT's are not required for any flight condition (day/night) but are required equipment when the aircraft has cowl flaps.
2) The inoperative instruments and equipment are not—
(i) Part of the VFR-day type certification instruments and equipment prescribed in the applicable airworthiness regulations under which the aircraft was type certificated;
(ii) Indicated as required on the aircraft's equipment list, or on the Kinds of Operations Equipment List for the kind of flight operation being conducted;

For example the 172rg the CHT is on the equipment list as required therefore part of the A/C certification, you can't inop it.

To the OP. Chin up. Having one failure will give you something to speak about during your airline interviews.

It was a Seminole so it would appear that the DPE and myself were both wrong. My new attitude towards any inop gear ( In the level of planes I fly now) is to park the plane and figure out the correct action from there.

A lot of people bust their initial CFI checkride. The FSDO lost my first 2 copies of my 8710, so from the time I got signed off to the time I took my FIRST attempt was 3 weeks. My recheck was a week after that. I busted after 6 hours on attempt #1. When I went back the 2nd time, I had another 3 hours of reaming, with a 1.6 flight which he said was .2 too long, and "I guess I'll give you your CFI. You didin't really earn it though." Gotta love Friends Against Aviation. Anyways, when you go to an airline they expect you to have your CFI initial bust. All 3 places I've interviewed at have said "yeah, we expect people to bust their initial CFI ride" . On top of that, XJet just wanted to know busts in the flight portion when they asked me at a job fair... I wouldn't worry too much about it...

A lot of people bust their initial CFI checkride. The FSDO lost my first 2 copies of my 8710, so from the time I got signed off to the time I took my FIRST attempt was 3 weeks. My recheck was a week after that. I busted after 6 hours on attempt #1. When I went back the 2nd time, I had another 3 hours of reaming, with a 1.6 flight which he said was .2 too long, and "I guess I'll give you your CFI. You didin't really earn it though." Gotta love Friends Against Aviation. Anyways, when you go to an airline they expect you to have your CFI initial bust. All 3 places I've interviewed at have said "yeah, we expect people to bust their initial CFI ride" . On top of that, XJet just wanted to know busts in the flight portion when they asked me at a job fair... I wouldn't worry too much about it...

I busted my first CFI ride, it happens. For many reasons, but I wouldn't worry about it much

I busted my first CFI ride, it happens. For many reasons, but I wouldn't worry about it much
Exactly. I want to say everyone, but I know quite a few that haven't. One of my friends went to Alaska for his checkride (native from there). Passed his CFI-A initial in 3 hours from the time he walked in, and his CFI-I in less than 2hrs... Including flight on both... Not saying it was good nor bad, but 95% or so pass rate in alaska on 1st time applicants vs. 80% failure on pick-a-FSDO in the lower 48 speaks volumes in a lot of ways... some good, others make me wonder...

Back