initial CFI oral... FAILED!

robofos

I always appreciated reading about others' checkrides while studying for mine. If anyone wants to read about how my 9 hour oral went, read the below! (its long!)

First I had to use a DPE because apparently the FAA recently decided to stop using inspectors for this ride. This meant signing a $600 check before we got started. ouch! My DPE was a 70 year old retired corporate pilot and I learned right away he was very talkative. My thinking was to let him talk as much as possible and there'd be less opportunities for me to screw up! However, that may have just enabled him to make the oral last as long as it did and by the time I was done, I felt brain dead. He walked in at 10am, we left at 7:30pm. He spent a good time messing w/ his laptop and the internet, and had a comment to make for every program he liked using, he read instructions for the test, reviewed IACRA, my logbook and so-on. The thing didn't officially start until about 12:00.

It started w/ FOI's- he asked me about the questions I missed on the written. So I explained barriers to communication, talked about overuse of abstractions. We were both looking at pictures in the FOI book, so that was good to reference. He picked another task: F- Techniques of flight instruction. With my PTS opened up, I thought of real world examples for each of those 8 items. From Obstacles of Learning to ADM. The FOI section was about an hour.

We quickly looked over the rental a/c's logbooks, he asked how I knew it was current. Then we went into Tech. subject areas. Remember he must go over B & M (Runway Incursion Avoidance & Logbook entries).. So I should have studied those more. He had me write him a sample endorsement as if I was signing him off for his Private pilot practical. Don't forget 61.39! He went into a 30 min dialogue about that reg, and how the FAA should have included a sample in the latest AC 61-65E (There is no sample 61.39 endorsement.)

I did an airspace lesson. He asked me questions mostly about E/G airspace floors & mins while looking at a current VFR sectional. The E surface areas that abut the D airpace use the wx info from that towers' ATIS. If ATIS is reporting <3 sm vis, that includes the adjoining class E surface area. So you can't fly VFR through it even if it appears to have better visibility. <- I didn't know that!

Everything went well 'til we looked at Arrow II systems. I was supposed to explain how the landing gear system worked as if it were to a private pilot starting their commercial. I haven't looked at the landing gear system in 1-2 months so I was pretty rusty. I didn't have a good organized lesson for this situation, which led to me not knowing how to present the info. The arrow II has an auto-extend feature w/ an override, I did a poor job explaining how the override works. I also didn't know the training procedure for simulating a gear failure. He asked if we had an alternator failure, you're flying to a towered airport & want to keep your radios, how would you extend the gear w/o activating the motor, & draining the battery?Answer: slow to 100mph, activate emergency extend, hold that lever down, then switch the gear selector to DOWN. This way it won't retract on you.

I also couldn't explain the electrical schematic from the poor quality illustration in my 1974 Arrow POH. He was showing me how it worked. Not good. Electrical systems have always been a weak area for me.

This is where I failed, landing gear and elec systems, but we continued the oral. we talked about spin recovery, engine fires, emergency descents, control surfaces: the difference between elevator trim and anti-servo tabs. The maneuver lesson was power off 180's. For VII- Preflight procedures, he picked task G: Before takeoff check, So we went over each item in the run-up checklist for the Arrow.

This brought us to about 7:00 pm. Everyone except my CFI left the FBO for the day. I was in there for more time than an average day at work. I walked out of there like a zombie. I don't know how that guy survived it. The worst part is I've yet to go flying. I might be writing again next week for a breakdown of my flight portion. Well, there you go. That's how an oral can last an entire day.

Chin up, bud! I busted the oral then the flight and I can think of 5 friends / fellow students who did the same thing. Brush up on your weak areas, stay focused, don't get discouraged and go nail that flight.

I think a 9 hour oral is ridiculous, but I can't help but ask why you hadn't studied the systems for (presumably) the airplane you were going to use on the checkride for 2 months?

Take heart. The worst part is now behind you. I think you will find the retest and flight to be anticlimactic. When you get through, you'll have a great "horror story" to tell your future students about why they need to do some serious study.

I think a 9 hour oral is ridiculous, but I can't help but ask why you hadn't studied the systems for (presumably) the airplane you were going to use on the checkride for 2 months?
It seems to be simply preposterous. (The length of the oral, anyway.)

Thanks for the write-up, man. Mine's coming up soon, and I have the same weakness as you: systems. Seriously though...a 9 hours long oral? That sounds exceedingly rough.

So I have to ask...how much do you have to pay the examiner for a retest? Please don't tell me $600 again :aghast:

Is this a new policy that CFI checkrides are now to be done with DPEs instead of inspectors?

Mine was 7 hours, and I failed it, too. Went back, knocked out where I'd screwed up, and went flying. That part was easy. Happens A LOT.

PS. IMS, the Feds MUST do your ride. But they can make you wait for a pretty long time...

I did an airspace lesson. He asked me questions mostly about E/G airspace floors & mins while looking at a current VFR sectional. The E surface areas that abut the D airpace use the wx info from that towers' ATIS. If ATIS is reporting <3 sm vis, that includes the adjoining class E surface area. So you can't fly VFR through it even if it appears to have better visibility. <- I didn't know that!

I had a fed tell me the same thing. Does anyone have a reg they can quote that applies to this. I've had several instructors argue to the contrary and I haven't been able to find the reg that he referenced.

To the OP: It's just a stupid game. Look at it another way. Look at it as you passed 95% of your oral. You now know the 5% you have to bone up on and it will be easy to fix that. Then get out there and get it done. The FAA (and their designates) are a roadblock to your success. Sadly, the system really sucks but you need to hang in there and power through it. If you can persevere, it will build character and give you confidence that you can overcome.

Gawd, I sound like a high school basketball coach. But, really, always hang in there and have an attitude that you can learn from your mistakes. Also, learn how NOT to be a good evaluator from some of these yahoos....

I thought that FSDO's just had to have the right of first refusal, and if they couldn't get you in within 2 weeks you were free to use a DPE?

My DPE was assigned by th FSDO. Iirc, all cfi initials require a request to be filed,but that doesn't necessarily mean all FSDOs do the rides themselves on a regular basis.

Buddy if I have been CFI-ing for almost two years and have worked at two separate schools. Worked with at least 40 different CFI colleagues I would say 90% failed there CFI the first time some even twice! Don't let it put you down, this wont determine if you will be a good CFI or not. At the end of the day its about luck. There is know way you will know what the DPE is going to ask and you just gotta pray and hope he doesn't pull something out of his ass.

My oral was about this long too. Use this as an opportunity to impart the importance of preparation to your students. Now when it comes time to teach them about aircraft systems, you'll have a story to tell that will help them understand the importance of knowing their systems.

Chin up...one of my buddies took his CFI oral 4 times with the FSDO....he went on to have a successful career in charter/corporate and now works for that same FSDO as an Aviation Safety Inspector

My CFI initial was the only one I ever busted as well. It happens. 91.213 got me when the CHT gauge died during the run-up and I correctly identified it as not being needed for day VFR but like a complete ass I missed the whole deactivate and placard inop.

Back