IFR Training Courses?

TD

All

any recommendations to go with Sporty's IFR course or the King Schools program. both are close in price, but wondering which offers a better bang for the buck

thanks

The King course is more focused on the knowledge test but appears very outdated. The sportys DVDs are newer.

Edit: I've always been a huge King fan. I know the Kings are getting old, but good lord they have to start updating their videos...

I watched the whole Sporty's course, and excerpts from Kings course. I just couldn't stand that corny presentation style of Kings. But of course it's matter of personal preference. The information is the same, and I agree it seems that Kings is more focused on the knowledge test material where Sporty's on practical applications.

It's been more than a few years since I last used it, but I like the Sporty's course a lot. I've used both the Private and Instrument one with students.

One thing keep in mind that the Sporty's DVD (and I think the King also) is a combined course: a knowledge test ground school and the ground portion of a flight training course. That's not a problem. In fact, it's an advantage since you can use it to prepare for a flight lesson and review it afterwards to solidify the informational content. But to be most effective, it's best if your CFI is following a coordinated syllabus (which is available).

If you are only interested in using it to pass the knowledge test, and leaving everything else to your CFI, there are less expensive alternatives geared to just that.

My personal preferences: Looking for knowledge = King (corny but they will imprint that info in your brain, Martha did put me to sleep a few times). If you just want to pass written = shepherd air (google) they are the best about read it and get it done

Back