How to: build your own ADS-B receiver

JeppUpdater

We have a thread on here concerning this, but I didn't want people to see it and think 'oh that's old', so I figured I'd start a new one we can use for those who are building one themselves.

This is incredibly easy. I've never heard of a Raspberry Pi and never worked with Linux before. If I can do this, anyone can do it.

This all started a month ago on Reddit when a user built one himself and wrote all the associated code. He then boxed it up nicely for the end user, as you can see in this thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/flying/comments/3g7urb/the_11390_adsb_receiver_for_foreflight_or_pretty/

Building it is a walk in the park:
1 - order the equipment off Amazon (a Raspberry Pi 2 kit, a USB-based antenna receiver, and a battery pack) for around $110.
2 - once it arrives, write the program code from here to the SD card as a drive image.
3 - assemble the entire unit.
4 - turn it on.
5 - have a drink.

Currently (as of 9/6) the unit provides ADS-B functions from the 978Mhz band, with an option for the 1090 band if you like using an additional antenna. Currently 978 only broadcasts when pinged by an airplane with ADS-B out, so you'll have to be in the vicinity of one, but the FAA will be full time broadcasting on 978 later this year. Additionally, the original guy who built this is working on adding an off-the-shelf GPS and AHRS solution for another $40-60 in parts and a simple reprogram.

Anyway, here's my quick build of it this morning thanks to Amazon Sunday delivery. I intend to run a little further with it (adding a power switch, and with any luck splitting the boot program onto the SD card and the actual running program onto a USB stick, as well as making a case for the whole thing). I'll also add the AHRS and GPS units for kicks once the original designer adds that functionality. But for those who either want to save a buck, want to give the middle finger to the Stratus, or just enjoy tinkering with stuff, here you go:

Everything that is needed for the actual build; the Raspberry Pi 2, SD card, wifi module, antenna receiver and antenna, and battery pack.

htqMqZh.jpg

The file itself unzips into a disk image file that's about 3 gigs. You'll need a program to write to the disk, as well as an SD card slot on your computer (or a USB adapter, etc.). Note to be extra careful to select the right disk, or it will happily try and overwrite whatever other disk you selected. This page shows how to write the drive using a freely downloadable software:

3Hf9Kcj.jpg

Assemble the unit together. I left the clear plastic case that comes with it off for this initial test.

X3FLhIf.jpg

Turn it on and it will generate an open "stratux" wifi network. Connect to it like normal. I've also added an additional photo below from the original designer showing you can configure the settings through Safari on the iPad.

lQ62wc2.png

When you go into ForeFlight it will recognize the device as "FreeFlight" since it uses the same communication method. Mine automatically connected with my iPad on airplane mode, then wifi enabled. Other users have tested it with various other programs (FltPlan Go, etc.) and reported it worked with the exception of the Garmin Pilot app which uses a different protocol.

sQGumvw.png

And finally, all powered up and running. I was doing this indoors (the battery pack hadn't charged, so I was using wall power), but I intermittently received 1-2 towers and would pick up traffic and weather:

vkhTaVB.jpg

JR12ihq.png

As I said, if there's interest I'll keep updating as things are added.

I built mine and finally had the chance to test it on a couple of flights. It worked pretty well, although with some issues. I have r1.3 of the software. I got both weather and traffic, although the traffic part was a bit weird. The unit said it detected ADSB OUT in the 1998 C-172 that I rented. Gave it a weird serial number and it would detect a ton of traffic every now and then. I mean traffic everywhere, not necessarily near me. The weather part worked well, although there wasn't much when I flew.

For the intermittent part, sometimes FOreflight would say I had nothing connected, yet the iPad showed a good wifi connection. I had to turn the unit off and on. I think there are a few bugs still. But it was definitely very useful and a neat project. I applaud the creator and thank him for taking the time for doing this and making it easy for the mere mortals.

It's my understanding this doesn't pick up weather just traffic...Are you sure you get weather?
The FlightAware program is different - solely designed to feel their system for traffic info in 978 and 1090 bands.

I just rechecked using two different iPads, including my work one that's not cellular capable just to verify. Again, I'm currently doing all of this in my living room, receiving 1-2 towers and occasionally nothing. I received both METARs for the surrounding area, some limited radar (the closest returns I could find were in Louisiana, but it did paint them), and some of the ForeFlight imagery for winds aloft, etc., in addition to traffic. Based on what I saw this morning and just a few minutes ago, it's working correctly and providing both weather and traffic information.

Again, with any luck I'll do some contract flying later this week and get a chance to test it out. I'm going to try and make a case tomorrow, but either way I'll be taking it up if I fly.

Thanks @phoenix 23684 for the input, glad to know I'm not the only one. Are you running it exactly as the build specs said or have you changed/added anything?

Decided after all the posts I would go and buy the items and try it out. Seems like a good thing to play around with for a bit once I get back on the work trip.

It's my understanding this doesn't pick up weather just traffic. FlightAware has a program for it, they give you pro access if you plug into their system. Are you sure you get weather? Do you pick up the RADAR stuff with this?

http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/build
It is supposed to be a complete ads-b in solution, Both weather and traffic. EAA has a pretty good article on it here.

My kit arrives later this week. I have a Stratus so this is just a bit of a tinker experiment and to try it with other EFB apps, both iOS and Android.

That's awesome, I think I'm going to try it, Just for the heck of it. Would be nice if the AHRS is added for synthetic vision and or gyro backup.

I gotta admit - I am often a naysayer on things like this, but I am damned curious now and think I'd like to try this.

I may have been wrong.

Well, now that others have done the legwork of putting these together and testing them.. Eh, I might as well give it a shot.

It is supposed to be a complete ads-b in solution, Both weather and traffic. EAA has a pretty good article on it here.

My kit arrives later this week. I have a Stratus so this is just a bit of a tinker experiment and to try it with other EFB apps, both iOS and Android.
Wow that is pretty neat. And the price can't be beat if it works!

My kit came yesterday. Very simple to put together. 15-30 minutes total. Ground testing, although limited, shows so far:
  • ForeFlight (iOS) recognizes it as a Freeflight systems unit
  • WingX Pro (iOS) recognizes it as a stratux. WingX for Android doesn't appear to have ADS-B capability yet.
  • FlitPlan Go! (both iOS and Android) just recognizes it. As far as I can tell, you can select any of the supported wifi-based units and get a heartbeat. Small weirdness with FltPlan iOS - after connecting one and then disconnecting it, I need to close the app completely ad re-open it in order to get it to recognize one again.
  • Droid EFB (Android) - can't tell whether it recognizes it or not. I couldn't find a page in DroidEFB where it even tells you whether a unit is connected or not. Anyone know?
  • AvNav EFB (Android) - appears to work just like FltPlan Go! When I select one of the supported WiFi units, it the app indicates it is getting a heartbeat (although not as clearly as FltPlan Go!)

I'll be able to do more testing tomorrow, weather permitting (seems funny to say that). I'm giving a lesson and, while I won't screw around with this on my student's dime, my home base is close enough to a station that I can typically get ADS-B weather there on the ground.

Except for not being able to confirm DroidEFB's read, it appears all the other apps worked and integrated the weather information just fine. I wasn't close enough to any other traffic to know, but that should make no difference.

Is there anyway to make it output data to Bluetooth? I don't want to have to lose my internet.

Is there anyway to make it output data to Bluetooth? I don't want to have to lose my internet.
Beats me. But if you have Internet while in the air, you already have access to at least the weather information. I'm curious what you are using for an inflight internet source.

Beats me. But if you have Internet while in the air, you already have access to at least the weather information. I'm curious what you are using for an inflight internet source.
We have a Gogo ATG system on the King Air. It is great for getting weather but we would like to be able to get traffic information because the TIS on the G1000 is horrible!

We have a Gogo ATG system on the King Air. It is great for getting weather but we would like to be able to get traffic information because the TIS on the G1000 is horrible!
Makes sense to me. I tossed a post on the Reddit thread (it's primary discussion area) asking about the possibility.

I don't mean this the way it's going to sound, and I will apologize for it right now.

It's just that....you guys have a King Air with a G1000 and you want a home-grown ADS-B IN solution instead of having a 'real', tech-supported and warranted traffic solution?

Back