KLM Upset Training

Clipper5895h

I had to write a two page paper on a safety topic in the airline industry and I choice an article about KLM starting a mandatory upset training course. I'm very interested in the opinions of current individuals in the aviation industry and this type of training so here's my take on the matter if your interested...

Upset Training in the Airline Industry
Aircraft have been taking to the skies for decades since that historical event on December 17, 1903 over the sandy landscape of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. On this monumental day, the Wright Brother’s proved that sustained, controlled, manned, powered flight was indeed an obtainable reality. Yet, even after 107 years of improvements in aircraft development over the original aircraft design, control issues still remain a major concern in the aviation industry. As the industry progresses into the future, improved technology has been developed to assist the pilot in controlling the aircraft, yet loss-of-control accidents or (LOC) still remain the leading contributor to commercial aviation accidents.
According to a statistical summary of commercial jet airplane accidents developed by Boeing from the years of 2000 to 2009, LOC accidents contributed to 1759 of the 5001 fatalities experienced within commercial aviation industry over this time period. Additionally, an onset of recent loss-of-control accidents such as the Pinnacle Airlines CRJ200 accident in 2004 and the Colgan Air Q400 accident of 2009 have caused the general public to question the integrity and safety of the airline industry. With pressure building from the FAA and Congress to pass new training regulations and improve the safety of commercial airline travel, KLM Airlines has decided to take matters into their own hands. By partnering with an Arizona based flight training school named Aviation Performance Solutions (APS), KLM will mandate their initial trainees to take an upset training course utilizing two Extra 300L single-engine aerobatic aircraft. With this added exposure to unusual attitudes that are otherwise unobtainable in ordinary training aircraft, ”the pilot will begin to understand what to do when their world is turned upside down.” (Croft, 2011)
This type of extreme upset training is a definite first for the commercial aviation industry. Rob van den Heuvel, KLM’s head of flight training at their Flight Academy in Phoenix, AZ, justifies the new training by stating: "Nowadays, training for civil aviation does not involve maneuvers of more than 60° bank and 20° nose up or down. After upset training, they realize they can recover from any situation. It does a lot for self-confidence." After the three day APS upset training course is completed, the students will return to the Netherlands for additional training in Beechcraft Baron and Boeing 737 simulators before assuming the role of a line pilot. Van den Heuvel predicts that, “While the results of the upset training might not be immediately obvious, I expect to see some differences in the students' performance when they begin initial airline training with KLM.”
As mentioned above by Mr.Van den Heuvel, the FAA practical training standard (PTS) does not require pilot applicants to demonstrate proficiency in any type of unusual attitude exceeding 60° bank and 20° nose up or down. The only certificate that unusual attitudes are intentionally entered into is for the Certified Flight Instructor rating requiring an endorsement in spin recovery training. Yet, this lack of unusual attitude training in the FAA PTS was not always the case. According to many early aviators from the mid 1920’s to early1960’s, the PTS required the applicant to actually demonstrate proficiency in entering and exiting spin conditions. The FAA decided to re-write the PTS at the request of the aircraft manufacturing companies. The manufactures argued that the modern aircraft could be built to adequately prevent the pilot from entering any inadvertent spin condition. Some aircraft designers even removed the rudder petals from the cockpit as seen on the ERCO Ercoupe aircraft design. Additionally, as computer technology advanced, simulators were used in pilot training to safely replicate emergency situations and reduce the risk of actually performing spin attitudes. Eventually, spin proficiency was taken out of the pilot training environment and PTS.
While simulators have a very important part in the training environment, there is currently no adequate substitute to learning the proper recovery procedures from unusual attitudes then by actually conducting the training in-flight, with the actual aircraft. The pilot can then truly experience the actual reactions that the aircraft will produce in a deep stall or extreme attitude condition. Simulators do not accurately replicate the reactions that the aircraft will produce when it is operated outside its flight-testing envelope perimeters. Interpolation methods from the wind tunnel data are used in place of actual data to represent the aircraft’s performance outside these normal performance envelopes, yet this method “does not accurately reflect the non-linear response of the aircraft in those regimes.” (Croft, 2009) Undergoing upset training in an actual aircraft is an invaluable part in developing the proper techniques to regain positive aircraft control when the normal flight envelope is exceeded. By exceeding such flight attitudes in a controlled and structured training environment, the pilot can proactively recognize and effectively avoid hazardous flight attitudes that could potentially result in a loss-of-control accident.
In an effort to improve the realism of simulators outside of the normal flight regimes, research companies such as Calspan Industries have begun to “use variable stability business jet aircraft to simulate the handling and performance characteristics of a wide variety of large jet aircraft, allowing for safe in-flight practice in the maneuvers.” (Croft 2011) By using this method of airborne simulation, “pilots can receive training that more closely mirrors the heavier transport aircraft dynamic responses and result in improved safety through more-realistic upset recovery training for air carrier pilots.” (Croft 2009)
It is very easily to predict the added benefits that will be achieved with KLM’s mandatory upset course in the airlines training department. Yet, some airline industry professionals are skeptical of the large cost increase and risk level that will result from implementing this type of training program. While a certain increase in risk will be incurred, it is better to be subjected to a real situation in an intentional, controlled, training environment rather then unintentionally operating the aircraft in the capacity as a test pilot with the lives of passengers at risk. Al Haynes, the surviving captain of a DC-10 that lost complete flight control in-flight, was once quoted in saying, “You’re never truly ready for an emergency situation to occur, but you can be prepared for it.” Perhaps, only the future will provide the answer to if KLM’s upset training will be an added benefit to and improve the safety of the airline industry.

Reference

Boeing Aircraft Company. “Statistical Summary of Commercial Jet Airplane Accident between 1959-2009.” Mar 29,2011 http://www.boeing.com/news/techissues/pdf/statsum.pdf
Croft, John. “KLM student pilots to undergo mandatory upset training.” Flight
International. Jan 18, 2011 http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/article.aspx?liArticleID=351831&PrinterFriendly=true
Croft, John. “Upset Training Group to Hold First Meeting.” Air Transport Intelligence news. Nov 11, 2009 http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/article.aspx?liArticleID=334834&PrinterFriendly=true
Croft, John. FAA Proposes New Certification Category for Upset Training Aircraft.” Air Transport Intelligence news Aug 06, 2009 http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/article.aspx?liArticleID=330720&PrinterFriendly=true

I think that aerobatics and advanced aircraft handling should be part of every pilot's training regimen, not just these specialized courses that even some highly experienced pilots have to seek out.

I recently experienced the same situation you mention in your paper when I was in a Type Rating course at FlightSafety. I was very surprised when we got to the "unusual attitude" portion of the course, and the "unusual attitude" consisted of something of 45 degrees of bank and 30 degrees of pitch. Compare this to the unusual attitude training I've received (and given as an instructor) in the USAF, where the pitch attitude has to be at least 45 degrees, and the more extreme the bank angle (all the way up to inverted), the better.

The reality is, there's nothing "unusual" about 30 degrees of pitch and 45 degrees of bank. The whole point of unusual attitude training is to get into pitch and bank attitudes that pilots would normally not find themselves in, and develop the knowledge and skills to safely recover. When I asked the FlightSafety folks about why they were so limited in what they taught, I received the same reply indicated in your article, that the sim is not modeled for flight outside of those limited parameters, thus they can't really realistically have their training course fly the sim in those paramaters.

Unfortunately, the civil aviation community has bred such training out of every official pilot training syllabus. It is possible for a pilot to get all the way to the major airlines without ever having been upside-down in an aircraft....and that's just a shame. While such training replicates what pilots will experience 99.9% of their careers (shiny side up and rubber side down), the reality is that as pilots our JOB is to be prepared for when things go wrong.

I think the idea that an airline would put their pilots through this type of mandatory training is awesome -- I just wish more of 'em would do it. Even better, every professional pilot should have to get at least upset training, and it would be best for them to get a full aerobatics course before they even get to that point in their career.

First part of NFO training back in the day, was pilot training to include an aero syllabus. It helped me a lot in 121 training. I think the biggest issue is cost (yes I have a flair for the obvious)... But for those who haven't had the opportunity to swap sides, I think it is one of the best investments for your pilot skills you can make.

a bunch of stuff I agree with
I agree 100% completely. Put somebody in an inverted bank turn and when they see the altimeter winding down, they pull to gain altitude. I have seen this, heard about it and it is extremely important that everybody get upset attitude training, and I mean real training in an aerobatic aircraft where you can actually go inverted.

I think that aerobatics and advanced aircraft handling should be part of every pilot's training regimen, not just these specialized courses that even some highly experienced pilots have to seek out.

I recently experienced the same situation you mention in your paper when I was in a Type Rating course at FlightSafety. I was very surprised when we got to the "unusual attitude" portion of the course, and the "unusual attitude" consisted of something of 45 degrees of bank and 30 degrees of pitch. Compare this to the unusual attitude training I've received (and given as an instructor) in the USAF, where the pitch attitude has to be at least 45 degrees, and the more extreme the bank angle (all the way up to inverted), the better.

The reality is, there's nothing "unusual" about 30 degrees of pitch and 45 degrees of bank. The whole point of unusual attitude training is to get into pitch and bank attitudes that pilots would normally not find themselves in, and develop the knowledge and skills to safely recover. When I asked the FlightSafety folks about why they were so limited in what they taught, I received the same reply indicated in your article, that the sim is not modeled for flight outside of those limited parameters, thus they can't really realistically have their training course fly the sim in those paramaters.

Unfortunately, the civil aviation community has bred such training out of every official pilot training syllabus. It is possible for a pilot to get all the way to the major airlines without ever having been upside-down in an aircraft....and that's just a shame. While such training replicates what pilots will experience 99.9% of their careers (shiny side up and rubber side down), the reality is that as pilots our JOB is to be prepared for when things go wrong.

I think the idea that an airline would put their pilots through this type of mandatory training is awesome -- I just wish more of 'em would do it. Even better, every professional pilot should have to get at least upset training, and it would be best for them to get a full aerobatics course before they even get to that point in their career.

:yeahthat: :clap: :clap:

An airplane is an all-attitude vehicle...as Langewiesche said, it's not an automobile, it might look like one inside, but the difference is, it goes on wings. (and upside down.) Primary training should involve aerobatics...I was deficient until I did the EMT course. Aerobatics will, if nothing else, get you well outside your comfort zone. It's also made my control of the aircraft that much more precise and sensitive.

The "unusual attitudes" provided by most CFIs these days are positively weak sauce compared to rolling past 90°. And...Believe it or not, you can roll one way and turn another... :)

Don't forget about American 587, either. The deficient upset recovery techniques and flight simulator modeling resulted in those "excessive and unnecessary" rudder pedal inputs that popped the vertical tail off (in before weak tail, yes, I know, but this thread is about pilots, not transport category certification requirements).

Ran across this quote while reading a thread an old (but very thought-provoking) thread on PPRuNe regarding airmanship being a "dying breed":

http://www.flightglobal.com/article...airstar-taking-the-simulator-out-to-play.html

irline pilot training today is largely based on full-flight simulators that are calibrated to a fairly limited flight-verified and windtunnel tested envelope. Since there is typically no data on which to model handling characteristics in extreme attitudes and post-stall regions, simulators and the pilots flying them can not train in that regime, creating a situation where pilots may experience a condition in flight for which they have not previously trained.

PPRuNe thread (a good read if anyone has time to kill):

http://www.pprune.org/safety-crm-qa...436662-dying-breed-airman-pilot-airlines.html

I had to write a two page paper on a safety topic in the airline industry and I choice an article about KLM starting a mandatory upset training course. I'm very interested in the opinions of current individuals in the aviation industry and this type of training so here's my take on the matter if your interested...

Upset Training in the Airline Industry
Aircraft have been taking to the skies for decades since that historical event on December 17, 1903 over the sandy landscape of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. On this monumental day, the Wright Brother’s proved that sustained, controlled, manned, powered flight was indeed an obtainable reality. Yet, even after 107 years of improvements in aircraft development over the original aircraft design, control issues still remain a major concern in the aviation industry. As the industry progresses into the future, improved technology has been developed to assist the pilot in controlling the aircraft, yet loss-of-control accidents or (LOC) still remain the leading contributor to commercial aviation accidents.
According to a statistical summary of commercial jet airplane accidents developed by Boeing from the years of 2000 to 2009, LOC accidents contributed to 1759 of the 5001 fatalities experienced within commercial aviation industry over this time period. Additionally, an onset of recent loss-of-control accidents such as the Pinnacle Airlines CRJ200 accident in 2004 and the Colgan Air Q400 accident of 2009 have caused the general public to question the integrity and safety of the airline industry. With pressure building from the FAA and Congress to pass new training regulations and improve the safety of commercial airline travel, KLM Airlines has decided to take matters into their own hands. By partnering with an Arizona based flight training school named Aviation Performance Solutions (APS), KLM will mandate their initial trainees to take an upset training course utilizing two Extra 300L single-engine aerobatic aircraft. With this added exposure to unusual attitudes that are otherwise unobtainable in ordinary training aircraft, ”the pilot will begin to understand what to do when their world is turned upside down.” (Croft, 2011)
This type of extreme upset training is a definite first for the commercial aviation industry. Rob van den Heuvel, KLM’s head of flight training at their Flight Academy in Phoenix, AZ, justifies the new training by stating: "Nowadays, training for civil aviation does not involve maneuvers of more than 60° bank and 20° nose up or down. After upset training, they realize they can recover from any situation. It does a lot for self-confidence." After the three day APS upset training course is completed, the students will return to the Netherlands for additional training in Beechcraft Baron and Boeing 737 simulators before assuming the role of a line pilot. Van den Heuvel predicts that, “While the results of the upset training might not be immediately obvious, I expect to see some differences in the students' performance when they begin initial airline training with KLM.”
As mentioned above by Mr.Van den Heuvel, the FAA practical training standard (PTS) does not require pilot applicants to demonstrate proficiency in any type of unusual attitude exceeding 60° bank and 20° nose up or down. The only certificate that unusual attitudes are intentionally entered into is for the Certified Flight Instructor rating requiring an endorsement in spin recovery training. Yet, this lack of unusual attitude training in the FAA PTS was not always the case. According to many early aviators from the mid 1920’s to early1960’s, the PTS required the applicant to actually demonstrate proficiency in entering and exiting spin conditions. The FAA decided to re-write the PTS at the request of the aircraft manufacturing companies. The manufactures argued that the modern aircraft could be built to adequately prevent the pilot from entering any inadvertent spin condition. Some aircraft designers even removed the rudder petals from the cockpit as seen on the ERCO Ercoupe aircraft design. Additionally, as computer technology advanced, simulators were used in pilot training to safely replicate emergency situations and reduce the risk of actually performing spin attitudes. Eventually, spin proficiency was taken out of the pilot training environment and PTS.
While simulators have a very important part in the training environment, there is currently no adequate substitute to learning the proper recovery procedures from unusual attitudes then by actually conducting the training in-flight, with the actual aircraft. The pilot can then truly experience the actual reactions that the aircraft will produce in a deep stall or extreme attitude condition. Simulators do not accurately replicate the reactions that the aircraft will produce when it is operated outside its flight-testing envelope perimeters. Interpolation methods from the wind tunnel data are used in place of actual data to represent the aircraft’s performance outside these normal performance envelopes, yet this method “does not accurately reflect the non-linear response of the aircraft in those regimes.” (Croft, 2009) Undergoing upset training in an actual aircraft is an invaluable part in developing the proper techniques to regain positive aircraft control when the normal flight envelope is exceeded. By exceeding such flight attitudes in a controlled and structured training environment, the pilot can proactively recognize and effectively avoid hazardous flight attitudes that could potentially result in a loss-of-control accident.
In an effort to improve the realism of simulators outside of the normal flight regimes, research companies such as Calspan Industries have begun to “use variable stability business jet aircraft to simulate the handling and performance characteristics of a wide variety of large jet aircraft, allowing for safe in-flight practice in the maneuvers.” (Croft 2011) By using this method of airborne simulation, “pilots can receive training that more closely mirrors the heavier transport aircraft dynamic responses and result in improved safety through more-realistic upset recovery training for air carrier pilots.” (Croft 2009)
It is very easily to predict the added benefits that will be achieved with KLM’s mandatory upset course in the airlines training department. Yet, some airline industry professionals are skeptical of the large cost increase and risk level that will result from implementing this type of training program. While a certain increase in risk will be incurred, it is better to be subjected to a real situation in an intentional, controlled, training environment rather then unintentionally operating the aircraft in the capacity as a test pilot with the lives of passengers at risk. Al Haynes, the surviving captain of a DC-10 that lost complete flight control in-flight, was once quoted in saying, “You’re never truly ready for an emergency situation to occur, but you can be prepared for it.” Perhaps, only the future will provide the answer to if KLM’s upset training will be an added benefit to and improve the safety of the airline industry.

Reference

Boeing Aircraft Company. “Statistical Summary of Commercial Jet Airplane Accident between 1959-2009.” Mar 29,2011 http://www.boeing.com/news/techissues/pdf/statsum.pdf
Croft, John. “KLM student pilots to undergo mandatory upset training.” Flight
International. Jan 18, 2011 http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/article.aspx?liArticleID=351831&PrinterFriendly=true
Croft, John. “Upset Training Group to Hold First Meeting.” Air Transport Intelligence news. Nov 11, 2009 http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/article.aspx?liArticleID=334834&PrinterFriendly=true
Croft, John. FAA Proposes New Certification Category for Upset Training Aircraft.” Air Transport Intelligence news Aug 06, 2009 http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/article.aspx?liArticleID=330720&PrinterFriendly=true

Since I don't work for the Company I won't say who it is but I know of one 121 carrier here State side who is begining a training regimine like this. The training will be annually on the LOE and is is designed to show the pilots what the absolute limits of their aircraft are, how to use to use, if needed, but not exceed those limits in a recovery, and help them to develop the muscle memory of force required to reach those limits. Sounds pretty cool to me. I know at CommutAir there are talks of changing our training regimine as well, I haven't heard anything about "real" unusual attitudes but I have heard that it will include recovery from full stalls, not just recovering at the stick shaker.

Ran across this quote while reading a thread an old (but very thought-provoking) thread on PPRuNe regarding airmanship being a "dying breed":

http://www.flightglobal.com/article...airstar-taking-the-simulator-out-to-play.html

PPRuNe thread (a good read if anyone has time to kill):0

http://www.pprune.org/safety-crm-qa...436662-dying-breed-airman-pilot-airlines.html

Interesting topic. Although I don't think it applies to the states(yet at least) and I don't see much of a connection with this thread - upset training. It's also crazy long, so I didn't get to the end.
I guess you could draw the 300hr CRJ FO to cadet program trained similarity - no experience on their own.... ever.

Interesting topic. Although I don't think it applies to the states(yet at least) and I don't see much of a connection with this thread - upset training. It's also crazy long, so I didn't get to the end.
I guess you could draw the 300hr CRJ FO to cadet program trained similarity - no experience on their own.... ever.

Well, I was really just quoting the bit about simulator modeling, which does relate to the upset training topic.

The thread was the source...and an alternate bit of good reading.

I think this is brilliant. Pilots should be familiar with different types of attitudes. And for the simulators not to be built to do this is just stupid. They can build sims that flip and twist, its just more money. But if that training saves a 60m+ aircraft, its worth getting better sims

Back