How to: build your own ADS-B receiver

I found myself in an ADS-B Out equipped airplane today and WOW was the traffic impressive. Many more targets, seemed a lot more precise in terms of bearings than yesterday.

I also had no idea it will give traffic alerts similar to ATC, "traffic, one 'o clock, two miles, same altitude".

I've been running it as originally built with the stock battery pack now all week, approximately 10-11 hours total, and it's showing two LEDs (50%) of charge.

FTLgqPW.png

I found myself in an ADS-B Out equipped airplane today and WOW was the traffic impressive. Many more targets, seemed a lot more precise in terms of bearings than yesterday.

I also had no idea it will give traffic alerts similar to ATC, "traffic, one 'o clock, two miles, same altitude".

I've been running it as originally built with the stock battery pack now all week, approximately 10-11 hours total, and it's showing two LEDs (50%) of charge.

FTLgqPW.png

Have you been able to see traffic that is in the flight levels?

Are you running one or two dongles?

First flight in the flight levels with it. My observations were in flight data such as METAR/TAF/ PIREPS were excellent. As long as I had tower reception, I had that info. The radar was solid, but slightly less than consistent than the METARS. Traffic was intermittent and it appears that I only received targets at lower altitudes. A Texas International Airways 737 passed within ten miles but did was not displayed on ForeFlight but was on the TCAS in the panel. Along the 1,500 mile trip, received from as little as 2 towers and as high as 17.

7b1bba5ae06f19a1c3ecdcbed3b3006b.jpg

9df3c2772e185d2223dc200b9b525421.jpg

69908cf24d531d5fe6f4fcb38153b173.jpg

eec4ec853855059cc0719078db23f213.jpg

What program are you guys using to display this info? What programs are available? I have an iPad for work but can't use it for this. I have a Win8 tablet and would love to use that. Any options besides what I think is Foreflight? Since they don't have a Win8 tablet friendly version?

Also what traffic is displaying? Is it only traffic that has ADS-B out or is it all traffic on ATC scopes?

What program are you guys using to display this info? What programs are available? I have an iPad for work but can't use it for this. I have a Win8 tablet and would love to use that. Any options besides what I think is Foreflight? Since they don't have a Win8 tablet friendly version?
It should work as advertised with Android and iPad ones (except Garmin's). For the iPad, I've used it with FltPlan Go!, ForeFlight and WingX Pro. For Android, I know it works with FltPlan Go! and AvNav EFB (WinX Android doesn't have the capability in yet). I don't even know what EFB apps even exist for Windows8 or 10 tablets.

Also what traffic is displaying? Is it only traffic that has ADS-B out or is it all traffic on ATC scopes?
It is displaying all all the traffic that ADS-B TIS-B provides to a set-up with the configuration you have. Set up for ADS-B out compliance on board your airplane and have both the 978 and 1090ES dongles and you will see more than if you have only the 978 dongle and no ASD-B out. It's not really based on ATC's radar scopes at all. Sounds like you may be looking for information on ADS-B and what it provides. You should be able to do a Google search and gent some good articles, or read the applicable sections of the AIM.

It should work as advertised with Android and iPad ones (except Garmin's). For the iPad, I've used it with FltPlan Go!, ForeFlight and WingX Pro. For Android, I know it works with FltPlan Go! and AvNav EFB (WinX Android doesn't have the capability in yet). I don't even know what EFB apps even exist for Windows8 or 10 tablets.

It is displaying all all the traffic that ADS-B TIS-B provides to a set-up with the configuration you have. Set up for ADS-B out compliance on board your airplane and have both the 978 and 1090ES dongles and you will see more than if you have only the 978 dongle and no ASD-B out. It's not really based on ATC's radar scopes at all. Sounds like you may be looking for information on ADS-B and what it provides. You should be able to do a Google search and gent some good articles, or read the applicable sections of the AIM.
Thank you! I still have a lot to learn about this stuff, I'm mostly interested in the RADAR.

Thank you! I still have a lot to learn about this stuff, I'm mostly interested in the RADAR.
There is no RADAR.

There is FIS-B NEXRAD for weather (and other aviation weather information) , which is delayed about 8-20 minutes.

There is TIS-B traffic, which is based on the existence of ADS-B Out, whether direct or relayed via ground based towers. It is not based on radar pings.

drunkenbeagle said:
Just ordered the parts to build two of these. $150 shipped, plus Amazon threw in free same day delivery. Will report back when I have it working.
why build one when you can have two at twice the price?

There is no RADAR.

There is FIS-B NEXRAD for weather (and other aviation weather information) , which is delayed about 8-20 minutes.

There is TIS-B traffic, which is based on the existence of ADS-B Out, whether direct or relayed via ground based towers. It is not based on radar pings.
Yes I am interested in the weather radar mostly.

There is no RADAR.

Now maybe I'm a tard (I've been accused before) but when I google "NEXRAD" the next line in the autocomplete is "NEXRAD Radar". Are ground based NEXRAD stations some thing other than radar? I mean NEXRAD stands for NEX generation RADar. What am I missing when you say there is no radar?

Now maybe I'm a tard (I've been accused before) but when I google "NEXRAD" the next line in the autocomplete is "NEXRAD Radar". Are ground based NEXRAD stations some thing other than radar? I mean NEXRAD stands for NEX generation RADar. What am I missing when you say there is no radar?
When I think of aircraft weather radar I think of a unit that pings or receives information directly in real time, not a picture of something that happened on average up to 20 minutes earlier.

I guess I've been a bit sensitized by the concerns over pilots thinking NEXRAD is giving them realtime information, like onboard radar, or stormscopes and flying into cells.

OK I'm ready to order my kit today but just wanted to ask for some help from you tech gurus. I see a different raspberry pi 2 kit with built in wifi. Would that work instead of getting the standard raspberry pi 2 with that NooElec wifi dongle? That Big dongle looks like a possible nuisance. This other kit has a small wifi dongle and has a fancy looking black case/shell. Thanks for any help guys, I'm really stoked to get this going.

Link http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008XVAVAW?psc=1

OK I'm ready to order my kit today but just wanted to ask for some help from you tech gurus. I see a different raspberry pi 2 kit with built in wifi. Would that work instead of getting the standard raspberry pi 2 with that NooElec wifi dongle? That Big dongle looks like a possible nuisance. This other kit has a small wifi dongle and has a fancy looking black case/shell. Thanks for any help guys, I'm really stoked to get this going.

Link http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008XVAVAW?psc=1

I'm not sure what you are looking at but the one that is in the original "shopping list" is identical to this one except for the distributor.

The NooElec dongle isn't the WiFi dongle. It's the radio tuner that is configured by the software to pick up the ADS-B signal(s).

I'm not sure what you are looking at but the one that is in the original "shopping list" is identical to this one except for the distributor.

The NooElec dongle isn't the WiFi dongle. It's the radio tuner that is configured by the software to pick up the ADS-B signal(s).

Ahh, ok I got it. Its been a while since I read the original build info. I'll stick to the original "shopping list", I'll just get it working and then worry about a case for it all. I just read about a guy using one antenna for dual inputs and is reporting no problems with reception.

https://www.reddit.com/r/stratux/comments/3nyy96/here_is_my_dual_tuner_single_antenna_build/

Ahh, ok I got it. Its been a while since I read the original build info. I'll stick to the original "shopping list", I'll just get it working and then worry about a case for it all. I just read about a guy using one antenna for dual inputs and is reporting no problems with reception.

https://www.reddit.com/r/stratux/comments/3nyy96/here_is_my_dual_tuner_single_antenna_build/
Not completely sure but based on reading the thread and looking at the links, I think he's talking about two NeeElec dongles (one for 978 and one for 1090ES) sharing one antenna.

Back