How many are pilots… (LGA)

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
…that are too cheap to go to the Kew Gardens? :)

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/12/17/laguardia-airport-homeless-2/

CBS2 Exclusive: Homeless People Seen Sleeping, Bathing At LaGuardia Airport
December 17, 2015 11:04 PM

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Upon Mayor Bill de Blasio’s announcement Thursday of a new program to address the homelessness crisis, CBS2 found more people in desperate need of help.

Amidst the busy travel season, many people are rushing to LaGuardia Airport. But as CBS2’s Meg Baker reported exclusively, they may be surprised to see homeless people sleeping over a heating duct on a window ledge — right next to a Christmas tree there.

At 2 a.m. one person was spotted asleep in a wheelchair with plastic bags full of belongings. People were also seen camped out in sleeping bags, and even bathing themselves in public restrooms.

They clean themselves and their clothes in full public view.

“I’ve been staying here for a while,” one 68-year-old homeless man said. “Most everybody here is homeless.”

The man said he has been staying at LaGuardia for years. He began talking to CBS2’s Baker near the baggage claim carousels in Terminal B.

The man said he prefers to stay at the airport because he feels safe – pointing out a nearby security camera.

“You’re much safer here than in a shelter,” the man said. “Because with all this stuff here, I can get knifed. I can have bedbugs on me; lice. I’m 68 years old. I don’t need the hassle. I sit and watch CNN all day.”

The man said the others who were spotted around him had been there just as long.

“They’re camped out there; I mean, a lot of people,” he said.

The man said maybe 100 people stay at the terminal, but they are spread out.

At 2:30 a.m., CBS2 counted more than 50 people asleep in the food court, near baggage claim, in waiting areas and tucked away near restrooms. There was an overwhelming smell detectable where the homeless congregate.

They were also seen using the public restrooms to groom themselves. One man bathed and shaved himself in a men’s room sink, while a woman dried her clothes on the women’s room hand dryer.

“People are working now; they’re living paycheck to paycheck, you know? They’re one paycheck away from sitting where I’m sitting,” the man in Terminal B said. “Isn’t that sad?”

Some others living at the airport were not as friendly, including two people who were seen with cats.

The presence of so many homeless people left passengers waiting for early flights concerned.

“You kind of forget on a day-to-day basis that people are living like this every day,” said a passenger named Lydia.

“This isn’t good for tourism either, you know, for the people to see when they get here that there’s, you know, in the United States, people living in the airport,” said passenger Sergio Brok.

The man in Terminal B said police generally leave the homeless alone at the airport.

“The Port Authority police, well, they don’t really bother us — as long as you’re not a knucklehead,” he said.

During the day, the man said he takes a bus and then a subway to the Meatpacking District to panhandle. But he always comes back to is seat in front of the TV at the airport.

“Maybe next year, things get a little bit better; I’ll move on somewhere,” he said. “But where can you go?”

This is just the tip of the ice burg. In my work I had the pleasure of traveling to New York City twice a week for a year last year, and twice a week catching a 6am back home out of LGA, JFK or EWR. The amount of homeless people at both airports, on the subways, in the streets, its pretty incredible. The amount of them who are aggressive is also not good. In fact, one day after leaving work and catching a 6am from EWR, I passed through Newark Penn Station, and the police actually had all the homeless quarantined to a section of the lobby it was a really crazy sight to see. Sad stuff.

Before 9-11, when non passengers could pass through security, they found a whole family living in a maintenance closet on the E concourse in Atlanta. Kids included.

This is just the tip of the ice burg. In my work I had the pleasure of traveling to New York City twice a week for a year last year, and twice a week catching a 6am back home out of LGA, JFK or EWR. The amount of homeless people at both airports, on the subways, in the streets, its pretty incredible. The amount of them who are aggressive is also not good. In fact, one day after leaving work and catching a 6am from EWR, I passed through Newark Penn Station, and the police actually had all the homeless quarantined to a section of the lobby it was a really crazy sight to see. Sad stuff.
I got stuck overnight in Newark Penn on St. Patrick's day since my ambitious partying had me missing the last train of the night. The NJ Transit cops there shut down the terminal where the benches are, exiling the homeless and myself to a concourse area where they walked the beat with a Billy club and poked anyone laying on the floor. You weren't allowed to sit down otherwise they'd arrest you/throw you out. No one was especially ornery, but most of the homeless would cuss at the police as they walked by, and then shuffle off to try and find a more secluded corner.
So I spent the next 5 hours sobering up and walking around the various platforms, seeing where the homeless were hiding. Most were stumbling about in a zombie-like fashion in silence; with the lights half off, it felt like an episode of the Walking Dead. The most oddly satisfying event was getting a still hot off the press copy of The Star Ledger and reading the whole thing before 5am.

It was the weirdest night of my life.

Before 9-11, when non passengers could pass through security, they found a whole family living in a maintenance closet on the E concourse in Atlanta. Kids included.

There are some in the Atrium. Last week I was sitting there talking to another employee and two different people tried to hit me up for spare change.

"I'm not giving you a dollar so I can feel better about myself"

ICE BURG...
IceBurg_.jpg

ICEBERG...
iceberg.jpg

ORD is pretty bad as well. During the winter I found it pretty common to see homeless people sleeping in the chairs in baggage claim or out on the heating vents lower level by the curb. And the Train? At 0400 the blue line is made up 20% ORD workers, 60% homeless people, and 20% the trash bags full of their stuff.

ORD is pretty bad as well. During the winter I found it pretty common to see homeless people sleeping in the chairs in baggage claim or out on the heating vents lower level by the curb. And the Train? At 0400 the blue line is made up 20% ORD workers, 60% homeless people, and 20% the trash bags full of their stuff.
Blue line is getting bad now that it's getting colder. Not to mention the whole area of the airport where the train is smells like pee.

“I’ve been staying here for a while,” one 68-year-old homeless man said. “Most everybody here is homeless.”

TIME FOR AGE 70!!!

Back