How long did it take you to earn your CFI certificate?

I just did my first, real, honest-to-Hoover teach/fly from the right seat yesterday. I'd flown from the right, prior, but now I was talking/teaching as I flew and demonstrated.

Also hadn't flown a 172 in more than two years (been flying a PA-28R and TB-10/200) but got over that quickly.

It was a lot of fun. I did all right, all things considered. Got a ways to go, though. Shooting for 15-20 hours total to be proficient.
What? 15-20 hours? I had a 9 year hiatus from flying altogether between Commercial and CFI, and didn't require that...

What? 15-20 hours? I had a 9 year hiatus from flying altogether between Commercial and CFI, and didn't require that...

Well...I'm training and studying as hard as I can. 15 hours should work. I'm prepared for more. It's a good flight school with solid practices and an owner who is both a good pilot AND businessman (rare combo in flight training.)

The guy I'm working with 1:1 has a solid track record with teaching CFIs and he's a wealth of knowledge. Hell - the list of little things - details - I've been learning has been mind blowing.

I was getting a little bored. This stuff is fun!

Were you studying during your 9 year break? I'm somewhat similar. I've been out of it since 2002 and hoping to do my flight review for Commercial and Instrument in the coming weeks. Then it's on to the CFI. I've been studying off and on over the last few months, but it's hard to keep myself motivated to study after coming home from a 9 hour work day.

Were you studying during your 9 year break? I'm somewhat similar. I've been out of it since 2002 and hoping to do my flight review for Commercial and Instrument in the coming weeks. Then it's on to the CFI. I've been studying off and on over the last few months, but it's hard to keep myself motivated to study after coming home from a 9 hour work day.

Make a game out of it. Establish a reward system.

I studied my butt off before going out to fly again. I had studied some, but really dove into it when I decided to get my cfi. I went over all my maneuvers on flight sim, just to refresh on what was supposed to happen.

There were a lot of things I had forgotten, but I was active duty and couldn't afford too much flying, so I made the best of what I had.

I studied my butt off before going out to fly again. I had studied some, but really dove into it when I decided to get my cfi. I went over all my maneuvers on flight sim, just to refresh on what was supposed to happen.

There were a lot of things I had forgotten, but I was active duty and couldn't afford too much flying, so I made the best of what I had.

Thanks for the reply and for your service!

41 days for CFI/CFII at American Flyers and almost everyone in my class passed first try on both checkrides, minus 1 or 2. 28 days for the initial. Would highly suggest it, loved the program.

41 days for CFI/CFII at American Flyers and almost everyone in my class passed first try on both checkrides, minus 1 or 2. 28 days for the initial. Would highly suggest it, loved the program.

Which location were you at? PmP here (Jul-14)

Mine took 4 months. That included the wait for the FSDO to assign a DPE, the plane breaking the day before the checkride, the DPE getting sick, and having to redo a maneuver on the practical test. Technically I started in May, did a ground school. The school had a problem with their plane, then we moved to another state, then I had a couple potential job offers, but nothing panned out. I restarted in September and finished in December. It was all part 61 and pretty loose, as far as curriculum and pacing. When I went for CFII, I went to American Flyers instead, so they treated CFII like their 141 syllabus (very structured, to the point, and had hour and day timelines to finish). Finished it in two weeks, checkride was completed less than two weeks after that. I tried to come prepared (since I had a detailed plan of what to study) and finished it under hours and under budget. I think between the two certificates, it was... $7000 to $8000. I wish I could have done AF for my initial, but they hadn't quite set up shop yet in SDL when I was looking to start. $20K should have bought you all three CFIs and an ATP CTP and maybe a type rating... Anyway, hopefully you passed!

Hmm, no word from the OP, hope he passed.

I was a part of ASU Professional Flight program and since ASU utilizes ATP, it is fairly quick for prepared students. The timeline for those guys (ASU students) is about 6 months but now it is possibly shorter since they have now 3 2-yr CFIs. ATPs track is a fraction of that in the 40-50 days range.

My story is however is different and in my case life happened and I wanted to keep stress to a minimum so I did my MEI first last year in about 5 months, took a few months break and CFI Single in about a month.

Back