Hook Dupin

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
Folks,

It is with a devastated heart that I report to you that Chris Dupin was killed today in a crash.

Details are still emerging. It was a training flight, they went down. Both survived the crash but Chris died of his injuries at the hospital. He leaves behind a lovely wife - April, and a pair of extremely-loved dogs.

Chris was my instructor, often a mentor, sometimes a confidant but always, always a close friend and I'm still trying to process this and it hurts - April told me I could let you guys know because I know he had a lot of friends here.

I actually called him this afternoon to let him know I had given my first hours of Dual today...he was already gone at that point.

When I get details on his arrangements, I'll let you know. I'm so sorry, guys.

This one hurts. A lot.

@milleR @bucksmith @Screaming_Emu @Derg @SteveC @Hacker15e @MikeD

Sorry for your loss, fellows.

RIP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my god, christ what an amazing guy, when I lost my medical earlier this year he gave me a ton of contacts and let me bounce ideas off him as for what was next, If I get hired into the State Department it will be because of Chris.

Clear skies and tailwinds, this is just especially horrible, I'm in shock.

How horrible. I didn't know him very well, only from here, but he was always so helpful to new pilots, had good sound advice and so positive toward others. I know he served in the AF as well and he had a real passion for instructing. His poor wife and family. I just don't know what to say......this is so damn awful. RIP, Sir. You are surely missed and made a difference.

@killbilly Can you let us know if his wife needs anything? So sorry that you lost a good friend today.

Last edited:
Yes, I will let you guys know when I have details. Families are en route...I've been notifying people I knew that Chris knew here on the site but I don't know everyone, so if you were a friend of his and this is how you're finding out, I'm truly sorry.

There is so much I want to write here. I told someone earlier tonight - he liked flying a lot, but he loved teaching....

...we did our ASES add-ons together about a year and a half ago. While we were down in Lakeland, drinking a beer after the first night of training, he remarked, "Y'know, this is kind of fun...but...meh..." I asked him what he meant, and he said, "I just prefer helping people reach their goals. It's way more fun for me."

And I think that moment was when he decided to make the plan for his little flight school. It was growing, and he was working his ass off, but he loved it. He taught me so much about airmanship and professionalism, and he was such a terrific friend. Complete goofball when he wanted to be - you should have seen his and April's halloween costumes...

...whenever we'd turn on the avionics master he'd belch and say "'Murica" and it cracked me up Every. Single. Time.

I'll post details about the funeral when I know something.

Damn, thats real s***ty to hear. Give my regards to his family, I'm sure they are going through a lot right now.

Holy cow, I had spoken with him a few times in the past about various things. Was always a nice guy to me, I'm heartbroken for his family. Damn.

Its rare to find someone that loves flying AND loves teaching. Chris clearly understood that he was changing lives by the teaching of his craft and that was his "fix".
It's heartbreaking imagining the pain his family is suffering through, but let me also add, that the world has also suffered the loss of a great human.
We'll be thinking of him and his family.

News like this is one of the reasons why I have a love/hate relationship with aviation. Losing good people randomly sucks.

Unfortunately, making it through this career without losing someone you know to the career, is exceptionally rare.

I'm somewhere in the late 30s now or so. Doesn't make it any easier to accept though. Just less of a shock as time goes on.

Last edited:
Condolences....
Always sucks big time when a good CFI goes, especially like that

Back