Help with an approach

BTW, someone here usually chimes in with this but, in another discussion someone with the Jepp chart informed me LDK is not depicted there as an IAF. I can add that the Jepp and Garmin GPS databases don't chart LDK as an IAF or show a procedure turn.

The other discussion was on a separate topic - about errors in ForeFlight. This is actually one of them. The ForeFlight procedure advisor lists LDK as an IAN and even creates a procedure turn. How they came up with that one is beyond me.

Update. The ForeFlight error was from its data supplier. It's being corrected. I still have no idea how they came up with the PT and probably never will.

Update. The ForeFlight error was from its data supplier. It's being corrected. I still have no idea how they came up with the PT and probably never will.
With the sheer number of procedures out there there's going to be errors. We had a revision of our aircraft GPS database that loaded the wrong direction turn for the missed approach to our home base.

Looking at the way this approach is designed, this would be impossible. If you're tracking OKW R-300 with a single VOR, how are you going to identify LDK R-055??????

If I could fix this approach with a single note, it would be "Dual VOR Reception, or DME required."

Is timing for an intermediate segment legal? For example, if your groundspeed is 120 you'll know that OKW to HOLTY would take 5 minutes (yes I realize I'm slightly off). Would it be legal to start a turn 4:30 after crossing OKW?

Is timing for an intermediate segment legal? For example, if your groundspeed is 120 you'll know that OKW to HOLTY would take 5 minutes (yes I realize I'm slightly off). Would it be legal to start a turn 4:30 after crossing OKW?
I'd guess not. We have timed final approach courses but those are designed and inspected using TERPS criteria to ensure there is a protective buffer. Not so with fixed distance we might decide to use a form of dead reckoning to fly rather than identify using the proper navaids.

Hi all,

I'm a little perplexed by an approach plate I've been looking at and am looking for an assist.

It is the VOR or TACAN 22 at KTCL. FWIW, you usually have to fly full approaches in this area, as there is little radar coverage to give vectors. To that point, the approach is named the VOR or TACAN 22. If you didn't have DME and were approaching the LDK fix (IAF) from anywhere from the southwest, how would you execute the DME arc?

Furthermore, say you were approaching from the north direct Brookwood. Why doesn't it give you a procedure turn to get turned around to the 300 degree radial back towards HOLTY?

Thanks for the help!
Real world? Or test?
Real world... V18 to LDK, get cleared for the approach, out to HOLTY at 2400ft (MEA), 60/120 back to inbound course, descend to 2200 on the inbound turn, keep it coming down.
Test? V209, get cleared before OKW, on to OKW at 2200, HOLTY, etc.

Is it usual on non Jepp plates to not depict any kind of missed approach hold? I've been on Jepps for so long now I honestly don't know.

Is it usual on non Jepp plates to not depict any kind of missed approach hold? I've been on Jepps for so long now I honestly don't know.
There shouldn't be a missed approach hold on the Jepp plate for this approach either. No missed hold depicted because there is no missed hold to depict. Not common, but there are other examples.

Back