Diversion Dillema

My guess is MBJ or SJU to MDW and RFD as the alternate.
If I am right than I would just go to RFD. If i didn't like the alternate than I should have fixed it at the gate not at TOD. I have also been there and done that, the fixing the alternate in the air and ended up at NQA, never again.
My guess is SJU to BNA with some bum F Tennessee airport as the alternate.

Not sure we'll ever hear the true places, but I think that fits that airline better for the scenario laid out.

strenuously object
ED43BD6D-9E2A-4C91-A724-DB25A147B3E8.gif

I was just thinking that back when I flew corporate we would occasionally check the AFD to determine whether or not the runways and taxiways had sufficient weight bearing capacity to handle our corporate jet.

Wonder if a similar evaluation is made before an airport is used as an alternate under 121?

(So far none of the origin/destination guesses have been correct btw, but I am enjoying the discussion and thoughts on how best to address this situation should it happen.)

So let's take the scenario a bit further. You diverted to the alternate, a general aviation airport with a little EAS airline service. They scrounge up some air stairs. You're busy getting gas, trying to get a new release, etc... and one or more of these international passengers now wants to get off the airplane.

You tell them they can't because customs/immigration, and now they're throwing a fit and live streaming their displeasure on social media...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just thinking that back when I flew corporate we would occasionally check the AFD to determine whether or not the runways and taxiways had sufficient weight bearing capacity to handle our corporate jet.

Wonder if a similar evaluation is made before an airport is used as an alternate under 121?

(So far none of the origin/destination guesses have been correct btw, but I am enjoying the discussion and thoughts on how best to address this situation should it happen.)

So let's take the scenario a bit further. You diverted to the alternate, a general aviation airport with a little EAS airline service. They scrounge up some air stairs. You're busy getting gas, trying to get a new release, etc... and one or more of these international passengers now wants to get off the airplane.

You tell them they can't because customs/immigration, and now they're throwing a fit and live streaming their displeasure on social media...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You done messed up now A-aron.

;) Sorry couldn't resist. As soon as the cameras are out, you're screwed. I love being back in freight!

What happens when you get vectored around and now the side of the runway you want to get into is clear, but you get wind shear and have to go around straight into that cell? That sounds subpar. You've already painted yourself into a corner by this point, there's no reason to make it worse.

You get out of town, get to the alternate, you gas and go and by the time you're back to the hub, everything will be great. If something goes terribly wrong and you time out? Well, at that point it's not your problem, it's the company's problem, and they're paid good money to solve these problems.

Reminds me of flying in LGA during a massive thunderstorm when I first upgraded.

Vectored around it there was a clear lane either side of the approach path and a monster cell off the departure end of our runway. FO and I thought we had just won the lottery.

Then reports of wind shear on final and then I realized, “Holy crap, if we have to go around, we’re going right into that… Whoops.

Luckily we made it in and I learned a lesson.

Sure, but not by me, and if it gets to that point where I’m wondering we’ve REALLY fumbled somewhere and it’s a no-kidding emergency.

My old employer made a BIG to-do out of a crew doing (somewhere), MI to DTW shooting two CAT IIs at the destination and the alternate and then landing at a non-Ops Specs VFR airport because they had to miss both of them and landed with approximately 30 min of fuel aboard, and they were mad they had to wake up the VP/DO to get them released from that field. (It wasn’t BFE; it was an air carrier airport, just not one of “ours” for that airplane. Whatever, that’s what the VP lives for.)

Those pilots did NOT screw up. The airplane was on the ground, useable, at an air carrier station; the fact that HDQ had to do HDQ things doesn’t bother me one goddamn bit.

That’s gonna be something, indeed; I’d prefer we not find out exactly what.

Oyez, oyez, oyez! Facebook lawyers and Twitter jurors approach the bench to be duly sworn! All present maintain silence upon pain of angery reaccs!

Diversions are not necessarily failures.

But getting stuck in Saint George (a frequent “canned” alternate for Vegas that, while a 121 “station,” barely deserves the title) would be. And it would probably only take once or twice.

Completely agree. If divert becomes the safest option, divert.

If the company went with Saint George as the alternate for your A321 at 2am, rather than enough gas to get to say PHX or SLC, then by all means, you’re going to Saint George, and your company is going to look really stupid in the court of social media for a few days, but that isn’t your problem.

If the company went with Saint George as the alternate for your A321 at 2am, rather than enough gas to get to say PHX or SLC, then by all means, you’re going to Saint George, and your company is going to look really stupid in the court of social media for a few days, but that isn’t your problem.
As stated elsewhere,
Oyez, oyez, oyez! Facebook lawyers and Twitter jurors approach the bench to be duly sworn! All present maintain silence upon pain of angery reaccs!

Completely unrelated (although to be fair there may have been circumstances outside control)…

I’ve had to divert twice with the same group of people before, when the ACV ILS (yes, where they perfected the ILS because of its predictably low visibility) was NOTAM’d up to RVR 40 and an extra 100’ HAT from normal. The second time we had a San Francisco alternate, but in flight, we asked for and got Redding instead, which was 1) clear, 2) closer and 3) a place where they’d bus the passengers to ACV. Because otherwise we’d dump ‘em back in SFO and tell ‘em “too bad,” which didn’t seem exactly cricket. (Some of them were even going to Redding instead but ACV was cheaper, apparently, so…)

Pretty sure exactly nobody is going anywhere with a missing visibility report.

Back