failed my instrument oral (SEL)

yeah you guys are right and i did have my FAR book all tabed out.. but i couldnt use it i knew that!, some stuff i was gonna look up and he made it clear, dont look it up.. my CFIIs are stunned that i failed oral.. i know im at a passing level, i freaking drive semi and listen to sportys instrument rating course atleast 30 mins EVERYDAY!and i actually have books with me and i read this stuff atleast 15mins a day all the time! and yea it is SO much to remember, ill never remember everything! but i know that on my IFR flight in the future, if i need to look something up, there you go “I HAVE ALL THE BOOKS!!” im not gonna go empty handed.. i believe we should have a general idea of it all.. well my job is to go back to CFII, see my knowledge weaknesses and try again.. and i am gonna try again.. i love flying.. i love this $h1@ lol! and ill keep trying till i pass!

everything went down hill after i didnt know what a sensitive altimeter was (now i do).. and after he seen my alternate he was pissed.. i still dont know whats wrong with KBDR as alternate!

Last edited:
yeah you guys are right and i did have my FAR book all tabed out.. but i couldnt use it i knew that!, some stuff i was gonna look up and he made it clear, dont look it up.. my CFIIs are stunned that i failed oral.. i know im at a passing level, i freaking drive semi and listen to sportys instrument rating course atleast 30 mins EVERYDAY!and i actually have books with me and i read this stuff atleast 15mins a day all the time! and yea it is SO much to remember, ill never remember everything! but i know that on my IFR flight in the future, if i need to look something up, there you go “I HAVE ALL THE BOOKS!!” im not gonna go empty handed.. i believe we should have a general idea of it all.. well my job is to go back to CFII, see my knowledge weaknesses and try again.. and i am gonna try again.. i love flying.. i love this $h1@ lol! and ill keep trying till i pass!

everything went down hill after i didnt know what a sensitive altimeter was (now i do).. and after he seen my alternate he was pissed.. i still dont know whats wrong with KBDR as alternate!

What all did your instructor say about all this? Also, did he speak with the DPE about the issues? What did he get from the DPE?

This ENTIRE engagement should be transparent.

[
can anyone tell me whats wrong with KBDR as alternate? he did not like that because it doesnt report weather (according to examiner)... well it does have ASOS and TAF reports.. weather was 250SCT 10sm.. plan for todays (checkrides day) weather.. so i did.. all VFR weather, i dont even need alternate..
Did you get into BDR's alternate minimums and why they would or would not apply to your flight? Literally
It’s really hard to say what could have happened but the DPE could have been searching for the limits of your knowledge.

Maybe you did know a lot of things off the top of your head but he might have been asking to you these questions to see how you would go about figuring things out that you don’t know off the top of your head.

The 600/2 and 800/2 are correct but he might have wanted to see where you find those minimums in the regulations.
Actually, the airport has non-standard ILS alternate minimums. Probably doesn't matter unless the flight was going to get there after the tower closed or it was at least a category B aircraft, but if it wasn't discussed at all, it might be a reason for a ding.

Did you get into BDR's alternate minimums and why they would or would not apply to your flight? Literally

Actually, the airport has non-standard ILS alternate minimums. Probably doesn't matter unless the flight was going to get there after the tower closed or it was at least a category B aircraft, but if it wasn't discussed at all, it might be a reason for a ding.

View attachment 48461

Ahh. Should have done my homework. Didn’t even look. Thanks.

I’ve been flying for 37 years now. Not once have I ever cared about gs on takeoff. That is pretty much a hairy eyeball question AFIAC.

I’ve been flying for 37 years now. Not once have I ever cared about gs on takeoff. That is pretty much a hairy eyeball question AFIAC.
My guess on the subject would be the flight plan that was showing 100 kts in climb and that would be a lead in question along the lines of "so you're climbing at 80 kias and you know we took off into 15 kt headwinds... what's your GS at 500 would be like?"
Frankly I would ding an applicant that started talking about asking tower or gps/dme too.

My guess on the subject would be the flight plan that was showing 100 kts in climb and that would be a lead in question along the lines of "so you're climbing at 80 kias and you know we took off into 15 kt headwinds... what's your GS at 500 would be like?"
Frankly I would ding an applicant that started talking about asking tower or gps/dme too.
Good catch. Could it have been as simple as subtracting the headwind component from the IAS?

Wait, so you can't use the AIM as a reference to a question/scenario during the oral? My CFII says that I can use the AIM or the ACS. He told me you don't technically have to know the answers. But you at least need to know where to be able find them.

I'm trying to learn/commit to memory as much as I can. But like someone here said, its impossible to everything. So, my tabbed out AIM was going to be my life line.

Wait, so you can't use the AIM as a reference to a question/scenario during the oral? My CFII says that I can use the AIM or the ACS. He told me you don't technically have to know the answers. But you at least need to know where to be able find them.

I'm trying to learn/commit to memory as much as I can. But like someone here said, its impossible to everything. So, my tabbed out AIM was going to be my life line.

I would suggest being able to recite regs and rules for questions that could arise in flight and the far aim is back home.

In my opinion if it’s something unique that can be researched and settled on a preflight, then you can probably look it up if you aren’t sure while still on the ground. Of course, that depends on what type of question is being asked.

Hope that helps

Last edited:

Dude, do me a favor and don’t listen to strangers on the internet. This guy failed for 100 reasons and none of it was the examiners fault. He can’t even put a sentence together.

I have spent 4 years on and off working for a DPE. You think this is bad? You should hear their stories sometime.

On my CFI initial checkride with the FAA, at the fsdo, I bought/borrowed/stole/printed every, and I mean every source of reference material I could find. Every FAA book, AC, hand out, website you could find. I’m not kidding when I say I made 3 trips car to conference room.

When they told me keep in mind we have no WiFi here, I went and bought a Verizon hot spot so I could use my laptop.

Yes, you can access references especially when they are put out by the FAA. You should know the ACS/PTS by memory page for page. You don’t need to know where everything is, but you do need to know where to find it.

As posted above, in flight things you should have down pat, the oral...you can reference...to a point. If you start reading the FAR
AIM like it’s story time for 2 hours you’ll absolutely not pass.

Back