Diversion Dillema

adk

Steals Hotel Toilet Paper
So let's take the scenario a bit further. You diverted to the alternate, a general aviation airport with a little EAS airline service. They scrounge up some air stairs. You're busy getting gas, trying to get a new release, etc... and one or more of these international passengers now wants to get off the airplane.

You tell them they can't because customs/immigration, and now they're throwing a fit and live streaming their displeasure on social media...
"Ma'am, I'm sorry, but as I've explained US Customs will not allow us to deplane you here because there are no customs officers to handle your international arrival, as this is not an international airport. If you want to walk down the air stairs and try to leave, none of us will attempt to physically stop you but we will be forced to notify local law enforcement if you leave. I know this is a frustrating situation but I think that if you give us a bit to get things figured out you'll be glad you stayed on board."

BobDDuck

Island Bus Driver
"Ma'am, I'm sorry, but as I've explained US Customs will not allow us to deplane you here because there are no customs officers to handle your international arrival, as this is not an international airport. If you want to walk down the air stairs and try to leave, none of us will attempt to physically stop you but we will be forced to notify local law enforcement if you leave. I know this is a frustrating situation but I think that if you give us a bit to get things figured out you'll be glad you stayed on board."
Years ago we got bounced going into Dayton due to a huge thunderstorm, and ended up in Columbus. The gate agents were busy loading up the America West flight to PHX (just post merger) and couldn't get a jetway on our plane... and then the ramp shut down due to lightning. So we sat for about 45 minutes, with the door open, while this huge thunderstorm rolled over the airport. Right in the middle of it, this guy got angry that we were holding him as a "prisoner" on the airplane and demanded we let him off the plane. After he got pretty lippy with my FA, I told him, that he was welcome to leave but that he wouldn't be able to come back on the plane until we were ready to leave, and then pulled the curtain aside that was blocking most of the wind and rain from the ramp. He took one look out there and went back to his seat and shut up.

adk

Steals Hotel Toilet Paper
Years ago we got bounced going into Dayton due to a huge thunderstorm, and ended up in Columbus. The gate agents were busy loading up the America West flight to PHX (just post merger) and couldn't get a jetway on our plane... and then the ramp shut down due to lightning. So we sat for about 45 minutes, with the door open, while this huge thunderstorm rolled over the airport. Right in the middle of it, this guy got angry that we were holding him as a "prisoner" on the airplane and demanded we let him off the plane. After he got pretty lippy with my FA, I told him, that he was welcome to leave but that he wouldn't be able to come back on the plane until we were ready to leave, and then pulled the curtain aside that was blocking most of the wind and rain from the ramp. He took one look out there and went back to his seat and shut up.
Exactly … once you make it clear that you don’t care whether or not he leaves (but there may be other consequences) they usually STFU and sit down.

Autothrust Blue

Did Not Grow Up
Wondrous.