Hawaiian A321 - Smoke in the Cabin

No. The 757/767 doesn't even have belly suppression like the MD. UPS 6 gave us full face masks, though. And we got an EVAS thingy that blows up and we can look though it to see the instrument panel in bad smoke. Never underestimate the power of the cargo cutout.

After UPS 6, weren’t any cabin/topside fire extinguishing systems installed, if not for the whole cabin, for at least individual bins?

Nope, just “fire-resistant” ULD’s in the main cabin area which claim to contain a 1200 degree fire for 4 hrs.........supposedly.

Nice job with the evacuation though... 184 passengers out in 45 seconds with no major injuries.

So.. all aircraft are required to be evacuated in 90 seconds; what do you do when you have elderly and people requiring wheelchairs.. especially straight-backs??
[/QUOTE]
From pt 135 training - sad as it is, they are the last ones to go on the situation permitting basis.

Took these on an MD when we were getting trained on the fire suppression system for CFR fam. I had thought these were on both Fedex as well as UPS MDs. I didn’t know they weren’t.

4869F57E-097F-49A9-A632-397F4E6694D4.jpeg
1E3ECE0D-660B-4403-AFFD-505E839DD412.jpeg
BF0AFD53-EBF0-48D9-8D4D-157E513BC462.jpeg

That's a good question.

The last time I flew HA PHX-HNL, there had to be no fewer than 25 wheelchair bound people lined up to preboard.

The key to an evac is speed. The people easiest to evac are the ones who can do it under their own power. Generally, they are the quickest to be able to evac too, although the current trend of wanting to get all of ones carryon bags first before evac-ing has shot that theory down somewhat. Still, the priority is for people to evac quickly, and the able bodied are the easiest to.

The problem with ground evac’s is that there is generally no help from CFR in doing so, if the aircraft is sitting on all its landing gear and only the slides and cockpit ropes are being used. If the plane is sitting on its belly, then assistance is available. But an aircraft on its landing gear, the slides are one way, with the only assistance being at the bottom. Even if firefighters ladder-up to the wing, they can’t get inside the cabin from the overwing hatches, as that will only hinder, slow, or stop the evac, putting many pax at more risk than already exists. The bulk of people have to get out first with the evac trickling to the final random pax, before entry can be made to assist pax that aren’t able to evac themselves.

The good thing is that time-wise, if an emergency allows for all exit slides and overwing exits to be used on both sides of the aircraft, then the evac of the bulk of pax will go pretty quick, allowing for the rest of the pax who need assistance, to be able to get it from firefighters pretty quickly. If, however, only certain exits are able to be used due to fire, fuselage damage, etc, that just makes the situation worse for not only the able-bodied pax, but especially so for the ones who need assistance.

It sucks, but the idea is to save the most amount of pax in the least amount of time. Still, every effort will be made to evac everyone, but people have to realize the overall strategy and the reason(s) for it.

Nope, just “fire-resistant” ULD’s in the main cabin area which claim to contain a 1200 degree fire for 4 hrs.........supposedly.
I'm quite curious how they settled on 1200 degree fire.... unless that's C. Theres almost nothing that burns that cold.

The last time I flew HA PHX-HNL, there had to be no fewer than 25 wheelchair bound people lined up to preboard.

Our crew O2 count as a pax when doing the duration calculation.

I’m surprised there isn’t something like that for wheelchair pax. 1 wheelchair passenger counts for 3 (totally arbitrary for this discussion) normal passengers or something like that. So on a 150 passenger aircraft, if there were 25 w/c, then there would only be 75 other pax max in order to meet the 90 sec requirement. Then again, that’s lost revenue.

And we got an EVAS thingy that blows up and we can look though it to see the instrument panel in bad smoke.
I remember seeing those when they came out. I’d think it be required, too, if smoke goggles are required. The goggles don’t do jack for you if the smoke is so think you can’t see out the front windscreen or even the flight instruments. Then again, that costs money and not enough paying passengers have died. :stir:

I’m on a mood this morning — don’t know why. But I have the Beatles chorus “all you need is love...” running through my head, but with “blood” substituted for “love.”

“...blood is all you need...”

I’m surprised there isn’t something like that for wheelchair pax. 1 wheelchair passenger counts for 3 (totally arbitrary for this discussion) normal passengers or something like that. So on a 150 passenger aircraft, if there were 25 w/c, then there would only be 75 other pax max in order to meet the 90 sec requirement.

When they run a full evacuation certification of a new airplane, they randomly select x percent of the passengers, right before it starts, to be "disabled" and to require assistance to get off the plane.

Back