Toxic fumes kill Captain and FO Permanently incapacitated ?

melax

If indeed this is true, this is a huge wake up call. If one exposure can lead to this, man that's scary, and this needs to be addressed urgently. I know that BA has issued some kind of statement regarding toxic oil fumes recently.

http://avherald.com/h?article=425f6a41&opt=0

Accident: US Airways B762 near St. Thomas on Jan 16th 2010, odour on board, both flight crew received permanent injuries, captain later died

By Simon Hradecky, created Monday, Jan 18th 2010 14:43Z, last updated Monday, Dec 19th 2016 08:46ZA

US Airways Boeing 767-200, registration N251AY performing flight US-1041 from Saint Thomas (US Virgin Islands) to Charlotte,NC (USA) with 174 passengers, was on approach to Charlotte, when the crew reported a number of passengers and cabin crew had noticed some odour on board shortly after takeoff and were now suffering from headache and nausea raising the alert of a possible carbon monoxide poisoning. The airplane continued for a safe landing on Charlotte's runway 23 and was received by about a dozen ambulances at the gate. 8 passengers were checked and treated on scene by medical staff, but were able to catch their connecting flights, 7 crew members were taken to a local hospital as a precaution.

US Airways reported, that the initial suspect of carbon monoxide did not verify, the cause of the odour and nausea is under investigation. The airplane has been taken out of service.

In March 2010 US Airways confirmed, that engine oil had leaked through a faulty seal into the bleed air supplying the air conditioning system.

On December 18th 2016 The Aviation Herald learned, that the captain of the flight died as result of the circumstances at the occurrence and its aftermath, the first officer is permanently injured and has lost his medical as result of the occurrence. As result The Aviation Herald re-rated the occurrence from incident to accident.

According to court documents the crew had performed flight US-1018 from Philadelphia,PA (USA) to Saint Thomas, the flight had been uneventful. On the next sector US-1041 the aircraft was enroute, when the purser entered the cockpit to provide the flight crew with meals and asked the pilots whether they felt alright. Both crew looked at each other in puzzlement, then noticed that their eyes were "quite red". Only at that point they realized that they were experiencing "some basic symptoms of headache, sore throat, a little bit of stiffness in the neck." Both pilots stated, that they never observed any odour in the cockpit nor was there any visible haze or smoke. The flight attendants reported that there was a random odour in the cabin, all cabin crew observed the "dirty socks type slash old gym bag, dirty laundry type smell", that occurred first during the climb out of Saint Thomas. The pilots reported, that in the later stages of the flight they felt fatigue, wooziness and grogginess and had the feeling of needing to concentrate much more than usual to perform the landing, which was done by the first officer, pilot flying for the sector. In the later stages of the flight the flight crew sent an ACARS message to their dispatch to request medical examination for the entire crew. After landing the flight attendants made an announcement to passengers that paramedics were available in case anyone experienced unusual symptoms, a number of passengers took up on that offer. Paramedics checked out both pilots and immediately put them on oxygen and took their vital signs. The entire crew was then taken to a hospital, which found elevated levels of carboxyhemoglobin, that was still substantial above normal after having been on oxygen for 2.5 hours. The headache got worse and lasted for about a week, the sore throat, red eyes and stiffness lasted for a week to 10 days, the fatigue and grogginess never went away. Subsequent medical examination revealed reduction of respiratory pulmonary functions. Both flight crew never returned to fly as pilots, both pilots had their medicals cancelled.

On Dec 18th 2016 The Aviation Herald received note that the captain had died as the aftermath of the occurrence. The note concluded: "I'm writing to tell you that the world lost a great man. And I'm also writing to ask you to honor his life in whatever way you can - say a prayer, tell a joke (he was big on jokes), support a friend who needs support, convince your union to donate funds for the oil fumes research, do the world some kindness - because he was a kind, gentle, and brave soul, and his life matters."

On Dec 19th 2016 a deepened research identified the occurrence flight had indeed been performed on Jan 16th on N251AY (rather than Jan 17th N255AY according to information available on Jan 18th 2010).

On Mar 17th 2010 the FAA reported that on Mar 16th 2010 N251AY performing flight US-985 from Charlotte,NC (USA) to Montego Bay (Jamaica) needed to return to the gate after an electrical odour was noticed on board during taxi. Two faulty aft door seals were identified, which together with a strong tail wind permitted engine exhaust into the aircraft. 9 people, two pilots, 5 flight attendants and two passengers, were taken to a Charlotte hospital with symptoms consistent with exposure to toxic fumes.

The FAA continued on Mar 17th 2010, that the aircraft involved in US-985, tail 251, had also been involved in flight US-1041 of Jan 16th 2010 and in two flights to Puerto Rico on Dec 28th 2009 and Dec 30th 2009. On both flights in December 2009 there had been hydraulic leaks, crew members felt unwell but were not taken to hospitals.

The Association of Flight Attendants reported on Mar 17th 2010, that eight pilots and cabin crew members, including all but one crew members of flight US-1041 of Jan 16th 2010, did not return to work following three fume events on this aircraft in December 2009 and January 2010. The crew members are suffering from symptoms consistent with exposure to toxic fumes. The union was skeptical that faulty aft door seals would explain the occurrences.

On Dec 19th 2016 a check of both FAA incident databases as well as NTSB investigation lists revealed, that neither of the four occurrences are listed in either database, neither database contains any entry at any time involving N251AY.

I believe this was the same 767 that sickened a crew coming back from Rio around the same time.

That tail is sitting at VCV. Wonder if its worth getting a look over. May or may not find anything, but couldn't hurt.

Article is suspiciously light on precisely which medical ailment is at fault here when it says the Captain, "died as result of the circumstances at the occurrence and its aftermath." The same goes for the "permanently injured" FO.

What *exactly* was the cause of death? What *specifically* has caused the FO to lose his medical?

Article is suspiciously light on precisely which medical ailment is at fault here when it says the Captain, "died as result of the circumstances at the occurrence and its aftermath." The same goes for the "permanently injured" FO.

What *exactly* was the cause of death? What *specifically* has caused the FO to lose his medical?
"Paramedics checked out both pilots and immediately put them on oxygen and took their vital signs. The entire crew was then taken to a hospital, which found elevated levels of carboxyhemoglobin, that was still substantial above normal after having been on oxygen for 2.5 hours. The headache got worse and lasted for about a week, the sore throat, red eyes and stiffness lasted for a week to 10 days, the fatigue and grogginess never went away. Subsequent medical examination revealed reduction of respiratory pulmonary functions. Both flight crew never returned to fly as pilots, both pilots had their medicals cancelled."

I suspect an autopsy will be or has already been performed on the Captain and results released at some point, hopefully. Awful series of events going on.

"It is not the first time concerns have been raised about fumes on BA passenger planes. A former BA pilot, Richard Westgate, instructed lawyers to take action against the airline before his death in 2012, at the age of 43. He claimed his health problems were related to exposure to toxic chemicals on board the planes he flew." http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nding-Vancouver-27-people-fell-ill-board.html

Another interesting article: http://beatcancer.org/blog-posts/flying-and-aerotoxic-syndrome

I just found this info........there is more here on Captain David Hill. A friend of his is apparently trying to raise the funds for an autopsy.
"The FAA took away his license to fly because of the chronic ill health that followed that exposure. But despite that obvious and strong connection between the fumes and his cognitive problems, memory issues, and other neurological symptoms, his airline denied his workers compensation claim (twice), which had a major impact on his well-being, his access to appropriate health care, and his family’s finances."

http://aerotoxic.org/information/pa...id-hill-help-cost-autopsy-19th-december-2016/

More here:

http://aerotoxic.org/information/fume-events/captain-david-hill-rest-peace-18th-december-2016/

A few months ago, a British Airways A380 left SFO for LHR and diverted enroute to YVR for an odor and many ill pax/crew. Though dozens were hospitalized, the cause was not determined, and the same A380 was back at SFO a few days later. Scary stuff...

http://avherald.com/h?article=49fd405e&opt=0

And a few years prior, a Lufthansa flight attendant on another A380 leaving SFO was permanently fatigued AND also denied workers comp by his carrier after strange fumes were present.

http://avherald.com/h?article=46c79b49&opt=0

I don't know what is worse; The fact that this has happened a few times, ruined lives and careers and yet little is known about the cause, or the fact that multiple air carriers with billions in the bank fought the grounded employee tooth and nail to not be responsible for their medical expenses when they know damn well the injuries were job related.

Last edited:

That's the problem. No one is quite sure about the root of the issue. I believe "Neurological issues" downed the pair. There is a fund set up to fund the cost of an autopsy to determine the effects on this CA's brain and spinal cord.

I'm not buying these stories. They sound like fake news. Show me an article from JAMA or Lancet that specifically addresses these claims and then I'll be a believer. Otherwise, these are just stories someone cooked up to get people worked up.

I'm not buying these stories. They sound like fake news. Show me an article from JAMA or Lancet that specifically addresses these claims and then I'll be a believer. Otherwise, these are just stories someone cooked up to get people worked up.

I'm a little suspicious, too, hence the question. I don't know that I'm willing to call it "fake news", but it sure seems more like a UFO scare than it does an actual cause-and-effect related case. The fact that an autopsy hasn't even been performed means that this is all just speculation, anyway, without any actual scientific basis.

Tens (hundreds?) of thousands of pilots have flown jets with bleed-air ECS systems for millions of flight hours over the span of decades. We have not seen an issue like this on even a small scale. Even these two incidents (and I'm aware of more of them like it, but none of them resulting in fatalities) are statistically insignificant compared to the other potential health risks of a career in aviation.

I'm a little suspicious, too, hence the question. I don't know that I'm willing to call it "fake news", but it sure seems more like a UFO scare than it does an actual cause-and-effect related case. The fact that an autopsy hasn't even been performed means that this is all just speculation, anyway, without any actual scientific basis.

Tens (hundreds?) of thousands of pilots have flown jets with bleed-air ECS systems for millions of flight hours over the span of decades. We have not seen an issue like this on even a small scale. Even these two incidents (and I'm aware of more of them like it, but none of them resulting in fatalities) are statistically insignificant compared to the other potential health risks of a career in aviation.

Autopsy the plane.

Wrong...

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-33008356

Last February, the coroner in the inquest into his death wrote to British Airways and the CAA saying that examinations of Mr Westgate's body "disclosed symptoms consistent with exposure to organophosphate compounds in aircraft cabin air".

It is an issue.

You'll notice I said, "these two incidents", specifically including the BA incident.

Regardless, it is still a statistical anomaly, even if that were an additional event.

You'll also note that the "exposure to organophosphate compounds" is not a medical affliction, nor has this report, or any other report, directly linked such a thing to a specific chemical, or a specific mechanical or chemical process that is the root cause. This is still just throwing out buzzwords without an actual scientific cause-effect analysis being performed.

Not saying it shouldn't be looked at. Not saying that it may not end up being something that should have action taken on.

Just pointing out that the "sky is falling" nature of this article, and some within the aviation community's reactions to it (including this thread), is irrational given the information that has actually been factually proven and given the frequency of occurrence.

Last edited:
You'll notice I said, "these two incidents", specifically including the BA incident.

Regardless, it is still a statistical anomaly, even if that were an additional event.

You'll also note that the "exposure to organophosphate compounds" is not a medical affliction, nor has this report, or any other report, directly linked such a thing to a specific chemical, or a specific mechanical or chemical process that is the root cause. This is still just throwing out buzzwords without an actual scientific cause-effect analysis being performed.

Not saying it shouldn't be looked at. Not saying that it may not end up being something that should have action taken on.

Just pointing out that the "sky is falling" nature of this article, and some within the aviation community's reactions to it (including this thread), is irrational given the information that has actually been factually proven and given the frequency of occurrence.

Reading comprehension isn't your strong point. Two BA employees died as a result of fume events.

There have been more than two incidents as well. @Cruise how many has your place had?

Reading comprehension isn't your strong point. Two BA employees died as a result of fume events.

There have been more than two incidents as well. @Cruise how many has your place had?

By that logic it should be a no brainer to get cameras in the cockpit using just the last couple years alone. You onboard with that one?

Would be interesting to find the pax and identify incidence of related issues relative to the pax on another random flight on the same day/equip.

Last edited:
Back