Gulfstream Accident 12/15/2021 Santo Domingo to Orlando Fatal 9

I want to add from a human factors standpoint. When I’m in the left seat just flowing, and I have a weak FO or someone who’s just running a bit slower then me, more then once have I checked the ground spoilers and flight spoilers (two separate visual checks back to back) and looked up only to see my FO heads down in the box but saying the words “mines up, mines down” without actually looking in his mirror. Just mindlessly repeating the call out.

Which usually results in me stopping everything I’m doing until they realize what they didn’t do and then we get to redo the check together, slower.

Now I fly for a large operator so we’re pretty standardized. But when I contract, maybe 20% of the guys don’t do all the checks. So combine shoddy mx, a foreign crew, a weak FO who didn’t look to out his side, being rushed by a old school Captain saying “call ground I’m ready”

And well…Swiss cheese and all that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the verdict is still out on whether there would be a takeoff warning? I can’t wrap my brain around a takeoff warning that would only monitor whether the spoilers are armed and not let you know that one side is extended.

I can’t wrap my brain around a takeoff warning that would only monitor whether the spoilers are armed and not let you know that one side is extended.

Wrap harder. The Hawker/Beechjunk/Falcon 50 told you exactly dick about its configuration, AFAIR. Oh, we ready to push em up, El Capitan? You're El Jefe, let's go!

Wrap harder. The Hawker/Beechjunk/Falcon 50 told you exactly dick about its configuration, AFAIR. Oh, we ready to push em up, El Capitan? You're El Jefe, let's go!
Man. The LearJeeeettttt will yell at you for flaps, trim, and spoilers….maybe something else I’m not remembering because it’s midnight and I’m in the middle of a weather divert

The ERJ t/o config would let you take off with only one engine running

That never bothered me. Likelihood of an accident is near 0. You’ve completely blown it by then, and now you’ll have a bruised ego when you realize 5 secs after applying TO thrust that you’re on one engine. Maybe at that point you’ll reevaluate the flight…

True story, and at least one person came close.

The least surprising part of the article is….

But pilots for the airline have identified one of the pilots as a flight operations director at the airline.

If the spoilers are up. Does that prevent the flaps from extending too?

1642709965860.png

If the spoilers are up. Does that prevent the flaps from extending too?

View attachment 62979
No, the flaps will function regardless of spoiler position. I also left out flap position in my earlier description of the T/O warning system, with the flaps anywhere outside of the 10 to 20 degree setting (takeoff flaps) the alarm will go off when either throttle is pushed into the T/O range. I haven't had a chance to look at the AMM and figure out whether I dreamt up those switches on the wings. I don't remember needing a hydraulic mule to test the T/O Config on the G-IV. The flaps and the horizontal trim are mechanically connected and primary flight control trims are not tied into the warning system. As an aside if anyone here ever gets a "flap/stab miscompare" EICAS message on a G-IV (and only a G-IV) you can look like a hero and tell everyone it's a switch up next to the horizontal stab pivot point. Nobody likes working on the tail, but that switch is the only thing that will cause that message, and if it's not the switch it will be readily apparent in flight and you won't be suspecting a dumb switch.

Back