Gulfstream Accident 12/15/2021 Santo Domingo to Orlando Fatal 9

Back to the Gulfstream crash….

The accident aircraft arrived at Higuero/La Isabela-Dr. Joaquín Balaguer Airport at 12:35 local time on the day of the accident following a flight from San Juan, Puerto Rico. The aircraft was subsequently towed to the Helidosa hangar for maintenance. The company worked for three hours to replace the ground spoiler actuators on the right-hand wing.
The aircraft was then towed back to the apron for a flight to Orlando, Florida, USA. According to CCTV footage, the flight crew did a flight control check. The spoilers on both wings extended, but only those on the left wing retracted again. The aircraft was then seen taxiing for departure with the three spoilers on the right wing still extended.
I don’t know Gulfstreams but shouldn’t you get a takeoff warning if the spoilers aren’t stowed? Also doesn’t 3 hours seem really quick to replace multiple spoiler actuators?

Last edited:
7E1E3709-CFE8-4ECE-B9F1-F21413E9712A.jpeg

Wait, the Gulfstream doesn't!!!???
I would assume it does, but that raises a very perplexing question of why this aircraft continued the takeoff. I guess I assume that whatever issue caused them not to stow may have effected the indication and the t/o warning system but idk

I would assume it does, but that raises a very perplexing question of why this aircraft continued the takeoff.

I would hope so. I mean I don't actually think it's a big concern on the 74, as we've a flight control check and the little graphics on the display go up and down "proving" that stuff is working. But surely there's something similar on the GIV? Or, perhaps, they're visible from the cockpit and that's the check?

Edited... Yes, this would get a warning, originally thought this could be an electrical issue but probably something went wrong with the hydraulic pressure return..

I would hope so. I mean I don't actually think it's a big concern on the 74, as we've a flight control check and the little graphics on the display go up and down "proving" that stuff is working. But surely there's something similar on the GIV? Or, perhaps, they're visible from the cockpit and that's the check?

I fly the thing regularly, but alternate between types so I’m not expert.

No, you can’t see them from the cockpit, and no graphical flight control display, but Gulfstream was nice enough to provide a 99 cent mirror that you can use to see them go up if you really try to get the mirror right (and verify down, it’s part of the flow “up on my side, up on my side, down on my side, down on my side” ) during the ground spoiler check after start. They are also checked again with a visual flight control check in the mirror. “Up on my side, more up on my side”

Now I can’t even begin to understand why one side would be up on the taxi out. Lots of cas messages, 3 dings, and speeds could be missing. I’m guessing somehow the system thought this side was down the entire time and they never looked in the mirror. Wild.

The ground spoilers are only armed before take off with one or both throttle advanced when cleared to go. Usually done when turning into position in the runway. This is done so they don’t pop up and stay up due to a freak mechanical failure.

Lastly, after takeoff they are disarmed with a button immediately after gear up. Also disarmed due to WoW logic. The button is used in case you have a WoW fault and you go to idle. Prevents the boards from coming up in the air.

Last edited:
Three hours is not enough time to change a ground spoiler actuator on a G-IV. You have to remove the flap for access and if you're doing it properly you'd run a flap symmetry check after reinstallation. Not to mention verifying spoiler angles before you start and reverifying them afterwards. It's been a while since I've done a T/O Alarm check on a G-IV but I think it relies on the ground spoiler arm/off switch selection, speed brake lever position and either throttle lever angle. The "rear beam" on the wing of a G-IV is a pretty busy area, ground and flight spoiler actuators and their bellcranks, pushrods and hydraulic lines, not to mention aileron actuators and their control cables, plus the flap actuators and their driveshafts. "IF" you're doing it right you have to verify all of the systems you disturbed are functionally tested and are operating properly. You'd need a GPU, a hydraulic mule (unless you want to run the engines for hydraulic power, but the report says they took it to a hangar), a calibrated tensiometer, a protractor and a flap test box. Whoever signed it off probably hasn't slept well in a while. Maybe someone will buy him a fan.

Last edited:
The G450 has a "LATERAL CONTROL" butan:
Additionally, if a spoiler panel malfunctions and extends or remains extended contrary to commanded aileron position, a switch labelled LATERAL CONTROL can be used to shut off hydraulic power to both the spoilers and the ailerons. The switch is located adjacent to the speed brake handle on the left side of the center console. When the switch is activated, the amber “OFF” legend within the switch illuminates. If no hydraulic pressure is available to the aileron actuators, the hydraulic control valves of the actuators will bypass any residual pressure and full aileron deflection will be available using manual control inputs from the cockpit yokes.

The cockpit Lateral Control Switch is the pilot's way of triggering a HOPS [hardover protection system; can also be activated by a servovalve reaching a travel limit], shutting off hydraulic pressure to the ailerons and spoilers via an electric solenoid. Once activated, it can only be deactivated by pulling the circuit breaker. There is no AFM procedure to use this switch.

Three hours is not enough time to change a ground spoiler actuator on a G-IV. You have to remove the flap for access and if you're doing it properly you'd run a flap symmetry check after reinstallation. Not to mention verifying spoiler angles before you start and reverifying them afterwards. It's been a while since I've done a T/O Alarm check on a G-IV but I think it relies on the ground spoiler arm/off switch selection, speed brake lever position and either throttle lever angle. The "rear beam" on the wing of a G-IV is a pretty busy area, ground and flight spoiler actuators and their bellcranks, pushrods and hydraulic lines, not to mention aileron actuators and their control cables, plus the flap actuators and their driveshafts. "IF" you're doing it right you have to verify all of the systems you disturbed are functionally tested and are operating properly. You'd need a GPU, a hydraulic mule (unless you want to run the engines for hydraulic power, but the report says they took it to a hangar), a calibrated tensiometer, a protractor and a flap test box. Whoever signed it off probably hasn't slept well in a while. Maybe someone will buy him a fan.

Maybe you know, or one of our members that flies the type - is there a systems overview or synoptic page on the MFD to observe the flight control check that would occur between engines start and before take off?

In addition to that, what is the take off configuration warning system like in this type, and would asymmetrical flight controls/ spoilers trigger that warning?

Maybe you know, or one of our members that flies the type - is there a systems overview or synoptic page on the MFD to observe the flight control check that would occur between engines start and before take off?

In addition to that, what is the take off configuration warning system like in this type, and would asymmetrical flight controls/ spoilers trigger that warning?

The first answer is no. They brought a synoptic page into the picture with the G-V.

The 2nd answer is you won’t have V speeds and you will have a TO red config cas msg and triple master warning chime if the ground spoilers aren’t armed before take off. This is done on the runway, with one or both throttles advanced. The speeds then “box” and this is a line up item check.

However, if one side is stuck up, I really don’t know. I need to get into the book as I have been flying the 5 mostly lately.

The first answer is no. They brought a synoptic page into the picture with the G-V.

The 2nd answer is you won’t have V speeds and you will have a TO red config cas msg and triple master warning chime if the ground spoilers aren’t armed before take off. This is done on the runway, with one or both throttles advanced. The speeds then “box” and this is a line up item check.

However, if one side is stuck up, I really don’t know. I need to get into the book as I have been flying the 5 mostly lately.
I don't have the manual in front of me so I'm not 100% sure but I think there is a switch on each wing that is contacted by the ground spoilers when they're retracted. I might be thinking of something else.

Back