Gulfstream Accident 12/15/2021 Santo Domingo to Orlando Fatal 9

G4 has no follow up switches for the ground spoilers like the good old G3?

On my nice old G3 the warning system would let you know that there is a board not stowed on the ground when the thrust levers are back, but the system logic is that you have to monitor that a warning light that should be on (indicating a fault during landing) is not illuminated during taxi (when it should be indicating a "fault").

Engineers in the 60's had a great sense of humor.....

On my nice old G3 the warning system would let you know that there is a board not stowed on the ground when the thrust levers are back, but the system logic is that you have to monitor that a warning light that should be on (indicating a fault during landing) is not illuminated during taxi (when it should be indicating a "fault").

These same engineers must have engineer kids that work for Embraer!!!
Same, no-common-sense-have-to-laugh logic is used a lot in the new Phenom too!

I used to work on a very nice old G3, maybe the switches you speak of are the ones in my memory. It was a late serial number A/C airplane, perhaps we've met? Is the owner of your aircraft a very tall man?

Unless you count the G150 and G200, but I wouldn't argue your point. None of the large cabin Gulfstreams have ever had slats.

Why is that though? Always wondered why the large cabin Gulfstreams never had slats. What's their performance like a slow speeds with that high degree sweep of a wing? Without slats, do that land like a CRJ-200?

Why is that though? Always wondered why the large cabin Gulfstreams never had slats. What's their performance like a slow speeds with that high degree sweep of a wing? Without slats, do that land like a CRJ-200?

Gulfstream won’t do slats because it’s their whole shtick. They argue by having a superior wing design they don’t need them, so compared to a competitor (the Globals) it’s significantly less maintenance. It’s nothing like a CRJ because it’s been properly designed from the start so the landing pitch is above the horizon by 3-5 degrees unlike the CRJ. Although the ref speed for the G-IV can be high at times, into the 140’s routinely. It use to be the highest ref speed of any corporate jet (still is?). With the extra wing (and flap) of the G-V, they got the ref speed down to the 113’s when you are light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you count the G150 and G200, but I wouldn't argue your point. None of the large cabin Gulfstreams have ever had slats.

I would never. Both are designed and produced in Israel by Israeli aircraft Industries. They’re the red headed step child that we don’t talk about.

The G200 was originally called the Galaxy, it was developed and produced by IAI and Gulfstream bought them out, the deal also included the Astra (G100). IAI had built the Westwind and Westwind II series of small corporate jets (just a little roomier than a Lear) in the '80s and decided to put the wing on the bottom of the plane instead of having it go through the available fuselage acreage and built the Astra. They came up with a wing that incorporated slats with inflatable rubber de-ice boots and flaps. Then once the Israelis saw a G-IV they decided to make a bigger airplane. So they built a bigger fuselage and added extensions to the inboard portion of the Astra wing and added Krueger flaps to the extension and covered all of this with more pneumatic rubber de-ice boots. Gulfstream had only built large cabin private jets and wanted to get into the mid-size cabin market, so they bought IAI. Many people don't consider those airplanes as Gulfstreams, and they're not wrong. But the G150 had a lot of Gulfstream influence when it was designed and eventually they produced the G280, as a redesign of the G200, it has done away with the old wing completely and has a smaller version of a G550 wing and a T-tail. Are they Gulfstreams? I don't know, but I do know who you have to call for tech ops or parts.

Last edited:
I would never. Both are designed and produced in Israel by Israeli aircraft Industries. They’re the red headed step child that we don’t talk about.
I'll talk about them. The majority of my career has been working on everything from G-2s to G-650s including G150s, G200s and G280s. It's just part of the game, are they completely different than a "traditional" Gulfstream? Of course. But if I have to speed dial Gulfstream for any support issues what do you suggest I refer to them as? Don't be a snob, that G200 owner might be in line for a G700.

I'll talk about them. The majority of my career has been working on everything from G-2s to G-650s including G150s, G200s and G280s. It's just part of the game, are they completely different than a "traditional" Gulfstream? Of course. But if I have to speed dial Gulfstream for any support issues what do you suggest I refer to them as?

Red headed step children.

The 280 gets a pass because it has parts actually designed in Savannah.

You can refer to them they same way I refer to the Astra (which I’m also typed in) which is the same way people refer to the IAI Westwind:

The Hanukkah Hotrod
The Yom Kippur Clipper
The Jew Canoe
The Bagel Bomber
And The Rabbi Rocket

You can refer to them they same way I refer to the Astra (which I’m also typed in) which is the same way people refer to the IAI Westwind:

The Hanukkah Hotrod
The Yom Kippur Clipper
The Jew Canoe
The Bagel Bomber
And The Rabbi Rocket
I’m surprised you would bring that up. All of those are things I’ve heard over the years, I don’t recall repeating them.

The Hanukkah Hotrod
The Yom Kippur Clipper
The Jew Canoe
The Bagel Bomber
And The Rabbi Rocket
The 150 also had a strong Savannah influence. It outperforms a Lear 60 coast to coast in both directions (told to me by a pilot that has flown both plenty of times both ways), I'm curious what it's next generation would've looked like but I don't think Gulfstream is interested in that segment anymore.

The 150 also had a strong Savannah influence. It outperforms a Lear 60 coast to coast in both directions (told to me by a pilot that has flown both plenty of times both ways), I'm curious what it's next generation would've looked like but I don't think Gulfstream is interested in that segment anymore.

I think the big problem with the Astra lineage Gulfstreams is that they aren't very attractive compared to their competitors.

I think the big problem with the Astra lineage Gulfstreams is that they aren't very attractive compared to their competitors.
No argument there, any large cabin Gulfstream will have a lot more "ramp presence" than the IAI stuff. But oddly enough when the design studies were being done for the G280 a lot of the prospective owners wanted to keep a lower profile and didn't want it to stand out. I guess it all depends on why someone buys a plane like that.

Reactions: KLB
Yes the owner is a very tall man, I am sure we have crossed paths in the last 6 years.

I used to work on a very nice old G3, maybe the switches you speak of are the ones in my memory. It was a late serial number A/C airplane, perhaps we've met? Is the owner of your aircraft a very tall man?

Back