Got my student pilot certificate in the mail today

Victor Squawk

Kinda got excited. Showed it off. They pretended to care; it's not like I'm flying

Thought about shotting a pic and posting

tbh
it seems like no one really cares since non aviation ppl cant tell the difference, and aviation ppl actually fly

but it's more than i ever had so im just posting

Kinda got excited. Showed it off. They pretended to care; it's not like I'm flying

Thought about shotting a pic and posting

tbh
it seems like no one really cares since non aviation ppl cant tell the difference, and aviation ppl actually fly

but it's more than i ever had so im just posting
I'm assuming that means you passed a medical exam, did you opt for a 1st class or a 3rd class exam? It's the first step on a long road. If all you want to do is get your Private cert, it's a big step in that direction. If you have higher aspirations it's the very first tiny step and, although I'm unsure of your age I assume you're a younger person, you should make sure to get a 1st class medical right off the bat, that's what I did. It would suck to think you're fine and then get the rug pulled out from under you after you've spent a LOT OF MONEY and your aspirations are tossed. If all you want to do as a pilot is fart around in a 172 you're on the right track. My only other suggestion would be to have the money up front when you start. When I was a very young man working GA line service at Burbank I had lots of connections and friends and I had a couple false starts trying to get my PPL, the training was a lot of fun, but it was disjointed and it always seemed as if I never made any real progress because I wasn't able to fly consistently at a point when that was what I needed most. Eventually my fortunes changed and having a curriculum that not only I was bound to (because I paid for it) but so was the school resulted in me finishing very quickly and had a great experience. I'm not trying rain on your parade, I'm just telling how it worked for me.

I'm assuming that means you passed a medical exam, did you opt for a 1st class or a 3rd class exam? It's the first step on a long road. If all you want to do is get your Private cert, it's a big step in that direction. If you have higher aspirations it's the very first tiny step and, although I'm unsure of your age I assume you're a younger person, you should make sure to get a 1st class medical right off the bat, that's what I did. It would suck to think you're fine and then get the rug pulled out from under you after you've spent a LOT OF MONEY and your aspirations are tossed. If all you want to do as a pilot is fart around in a 172 you're on the right track. My only other suggestion would be to have the money up front when you start. When I was a very young man working GA line service at Burbank I had lots of connections and friends and I had a couple false starts trying to get my PPL, the training was a lot of fun, but it was disjointed and it always seemed as if I never made any real progress because I wasn't able to fly consistently at a point when that was what I needed most. Eventually my fortunes changed and having a curriculum that not only I was bound to (because I paid for it) but so was the school resulted in me finishing very quickly and had a great experience. I'm not trying rain on your parade, I'm just telling how it worked for me.
No problem. I think that setting up a budget first is how I would want to do it anyway. I can't afford to take dumb risks.

For the student cert, they didn't ask for a medical exam. It seems the main requirements were - speaking english, and getting endorsed by a ground instructor

Regarding the rest, it remains to be seen. I could fart around in a 172
but i don't want to be a slave of aviation the same way i walked away from the sweet life in the army, where they cooked up so many offers to keep me on, that they almost convinced me

I had it all, but freedom is better
same with money
and gas
and farts too, i guess

No problem. I think that setting up a budget first is how I would want to do it anyway. I can't afford to take dumb risks.

For the student cert, they didn't ask for a medical exam. It seems the main requirements were - speaking english, and getting endorsed by a ground instructor

Regarding the rest, it remains to be seen. I could fart around in a 172
but i don't want to be a slave of aviation the same way i walked away from the sweet life in the army, where they cooked up so many offers to keep me on, that they almost convinced me

I had it all, but freedom is better
same with money
and gas
and farts too, i guess
Things must've changed, no medical? Okay, have a nice day. I doubt the veracity of your story.

Things must've changed, no medical? Okay, have a nice day.
Yeah I guess you can take flight instruction now without a certificate and the student cert lets you fly solo (if someone will let you try, of course).

That's the reason for ambivalence in my post. Getting the student cert isn't a real brag. I didn't earn it, other than going through a process anyone could do.

Have a nice day as well.

Yeah I guess you can take flight instruction now without a certificate and the student cert lets you fly solo (if someone will let you try, of course).

That's the reason for ambivalence in my post. Getting the student cert isn't a real brag. I didn't earn it, other than going through a process anyone could do.

Have a nice day as well.
You can't solo without a medical. FULL STOP! Just go get the exam, it's not like you're going to have to run a treadmill with all kinds of EKG wires and a mask on. You'll pee in a cup, look at an eye chart and have a doc listen to your heart and lungs, no one wants to touch your private parts and ask you to cough. If you have other issues those may or may not be insurmountable either. How much do you want this? Lying about trying somehow seems feels dirtier than trying and failing and talking about it.

Last edited:
20230909_174735.jpg

Could one of these fellows, perhaps, be me? Not so much a catchbot anymore, am I? Huhuh proof !

The proof is in the pardon!!!! There I said it.

The student pilot card is, a little symbol of hope. I'm not making moves. It's nothing serious. I put in the extra effort to get it once I learned I could.

The instructor said not to rush into the private pilot time until you're really ready. I needed the relief from the urgent pressure to do anything it took to get moving.

Life on a serious note has its turns and it's something I don't like to talk about to strangers who can't help. There's nothing that someone can do to help. There's no one to ask.

Yet it's an unavoidable story. Everyone's got their thing going on and I've got mine.

So it's a little symbol of hope. The card is real. My privilege is real. Real talk says I'm never going up but hope says to hold on.

So I put it in my wallet and hold on.

@Ref the story bout the cold air, engine fell, cut the wires, jammed controls, never gave up, hours of trying, cut through the floor by sheer effort. They miraculously landed the plane. Everyone lived.

Love the story. Now that's an inspiration. Never give up. It's worth it.

You can't solo without a medical. FULL STOP! Just go get the exam, it's not like you're going to have to run a treadmill with all kinds of EKG wires and a mask on. You'll pee in a cup, look at an eye chart and have a doc listen to your heart and lungs, no one wants to touch your private parts and ask you to cough. If you have other issues those may or may not be insurmountable either. How much do you want this? Lying about trying somehow seems feels dirtier than trying and failing and talking about it.

Does Sport Pilot require a medical exam? I don’t think so. BasicMed requires an exam from a state-licensed physician, versus AME.

You can't solo without a medical.

Incorrect. There are many avenues to pursue flight training, and more than one of them does not require the traditional 1st, 2nd, or 3rd class medical. That is why the student pilot certificate is different than the medical certificate now.

Incorrect. There are many avenues to pursue flight training, and more than one of them does not require the traditional 1st, 2nd, or 3rd class medical. That is why the student pilot certificate is different than the medical certificate now.
Color me flummoxed. When I was learning to fly you didn't need to have a medical to go get dual, but you absolutely needed one to solo. My original is still taped to the first page of my first logbook.

I don't know how to tell yall this but I snuck in the confession that I'm not going to fly. Realistically speaking and it's not because of medical problems or money, but other reasons I'm not planning to talk about.

Thanks for all the encouraging words and all. I'd have been more clear if I knew how the thread was going to turn out.

I'm the bum-out, I know. I kind-of feel foolish for writing it...too impulsive of me.

Kinda just learning aviation like watching a hopeful dream die. If I younger/started sooner, was less ignorant ....

Whoever said age doesn't matter to follow your "dreams" (goals in life) was full of crap

There's a small place I could fly maybe in the next 40 years or so, maybe just to cross it from the list or as a birthday present

It'll be alright, its my boring life
Idc if I'm not cool like an airman
Or air ppl

Still gotta live

Not sure why your life is "boring," unless you choose to make it so.

You "can live" and be happy if you work at Walmart as a greeter and choose to do so

Stop being a goddamned martyr (or troll?) and making excuses. You can do about anything you want to do or even be happy earning an income in a place you don't want to be.

Back