GE90 engine (777)

brent p h

Found this on the web....wanted to share.
DSCN0878.jpg
:drool::drool::drool:

This picture is a good candidate for a "Caption This Photo"...

Guys on the ground: Hey, what's this button do?

A pigeon ingested down the core during taxi in. Because the engine being at low rpm during the taxi, it had to be borescoped.

They are big, I got a tour of the GE factory and got to stand inside one of these. The spinner was a good 2 feet above my head still, and I am 6'2"!!!

Check out the GE90 on the test bed 747, imagine if they put four of those babies on it?

ge90_test.jpg

800px-Ge-747-N747GE-020918-03.jpg

The above picture shows a GE90 in an early flight test. The Boeing 747 is carrying one GE90 under its left wing. Notice how large the engine is in comparison to the 747's normal engines, the GE CF6-80 turbofan.

I bet one would have to be extremely skilled landing a 747 with GE90s to avoid too much wing flex. That thing is almost touching the ground. A little to hard and sccccccrrrrrraaaaapppppeeee. :)

I finally got an idea how large those are. There was an Air Canada 777 here in Anchorage getting an engine changed:panic::bandit:

Notice how large the engine is in comparison to the 747's normal engines, the GE CF6-80 turbofan.

That looks like a P&W JT9, which is a little ironic on an airplane with GE written all over it. Also, did they ever put -80s on the 100/200? All the ones I've been around had CF6-50E2s.

It may look pretty, but I'll take a Rolls-Royce Trent engine any day over a GE-90. The Rolls is a heck of lot more maintenance friendly! R-R engineers certainly were thinking of A&P's and line maintenance operations when they designed it.

Fadec

It may look pretty, but I'll take a Rolls-Royce Trent engine any day over a GE-90. The Rolls is a heck of lot more maintenance friendly! R-R engineers certainly were thinking of A&P's and line maintenance operations when they designed it.

Fadec
Hell no , RR engines are much more complicated when it comes to maintenance
not only that , GE's are better as well when it comes to performance and fuel consumption

Hell no , RR engines are much more complicated when it comes to maintenance
not only that , GE's are better as well when it comes to performance and fuel consumption

I'll agree with you on the performance and fuel consumption. However, from personal experience with working on both of them in a line maintenance environment give me a RR.

That looks like a P&W JT9, which is a little ironic on an airplane with GE written all over it. Also, did they ever put -80s on the 100/200? All the ones I've been around had CF6-50E2s.

All the classics we (us and sister company) have are -50E2. There's a bunch headed to ROW if you need parts....

Back