Expressjet returning with an ex-JAL 777???

They put in for EAS for Jamestown and Devils Lake, ND ... on a 757.

Well, that's interesting. SkyWest is applying for those routes, and ALPA has weighed-in.

“The line between scheduled service and on-demand charters, however, has been blurred beyond recognition. A complicated regulatory loophole allows charter flights to run so frequently that enterprising carriers can market them as scheduled service, but be free from the Part 121 safety regime that governs most scheduled flights. In practice, without DOT action, this regulatory sleight of hand would allow SkyWest to take a Part 121 passenger jet, remove 20 seats, re-label “scheduled” flights as “on-demand charters.”

They also go after JSX and their part-owner JetBlue.

JAL 777s must be cheap because I just found out NASA got one to replace their DC-8

2 thoughts; they are old as JAL and JAS (who JAL acquired) were right behind United in 1995 entries to service and early orders. Also, the Japanese have a reputation for meticulously caring for aircraft. So a used 777 from JAL and a used 777 from UA probably have different levels of reliability. I remember hearing the UPS folks were shocked how clean and well-maintained their used JAL MD-11s were.

JAL 777s must be cheap because I just found out NASA got one to replace their DC-8

I’m sure they’re maintained fantastically.

We got a few airplanes from a Japanese carrier and they were in amazing shape.

I mean…they aren’t anymore, but they were when we got them.

2 thoughts; they are old as JAL and JAS (who JAL acquired) were right behind United in 1995 entries to service and early orders. Also, the Japanese have a reputation for meticulously caring for aircraft. So a used 777 from JAL and a used 777 from UA probably have different levels of reliability. I remember hearing the UPS folks were shocked how clean and well-maintained their used JAL MD-11s were.

This.

I flew with a guy who used to do contract stuff for JAL. I think he said he had one MEL the entire time he was there.

Oh seaport.......all our favorite airport. At least you don't have to run the APU there or anything....(based on the one space needle APU rule)

This.

I flew with a guy who used to do contract stuff for JAL. I think he said he had one MEL the entire time he was there.
Was it JAZ if you happen to know? I forget what their expat subsidiary was but I think it was JAZ which did a lot of the Hawaii flying and also charters. Like ANA with Air Japan, I think both JAL/ANA are pretty big on keeping foreign hands off their mainline metal for the most part.

I’m currently sitting at a dive bar on the dept end of 15L in IAH. Drinking my Lone Star and glance over at the wall. Low and behold!!!
8707B4D5-95F3-4CE8-AB63-9AE0E3B4E018.jpeg

Back