Frontier Opening

So you're entire reason to like Dallas is "no state income tax". You know who also doesn't have state income tax? Florida and Washington. And honestly, I don't mind paying a state income tax if that means the benefits provided to me are better. I hated it being 100 degrees for 3 months straight. I hated how flat it was. I hated it being a 6 million person suburb. If the only thing you like about a place is money, it sounds like the rest of your life is miserable. Now I'm not saying I don't know people from there who love it, I'm just saying it isn't for me.
yeah but what airlines would you suggest working at in florida or washington? i tried one in florida, would not recommend. and there’s more to texas than that, but i’m not here to sell you in it. it certainly ain’t everyones cup of sweet tea

So you're entire reason to like Dallas is "no state income tax". You know who also doesn't have state income tax? Florida and Washington. And honestly, I don't mind paying a state income tax if that means the benefits provided to me are better. I hated it being 100 degrees for 3 months straight. I hated how flat it was. I hated it being a 6 million person suburb. If the only thing you like about a place is money, it sounds like the rest of your life is miserable. Now I'm not saying I don't know people from there who love it, I'm just saying it isn't for me.
as someone who currently lives in nyc, yes i would prefer my income take me a bit further. nothing against my carrier, just a hindering location and commuting is challenging. i have plenty of passion for what i do, but i crave a strong QOL outside the office

Last edited:
yeah but what airlines would you suggest working at in florida or washington? i tried one in florida, would not recommend. and there’s more to texas than that, but i’m not here to sell you in it. it certainly ain’t everyones cup of sweet tea
I know people who live there and love it. And if you do, go for anything that's there. I was just saying it's not for me. That was more a response to the fact that I said I didn't like it and someone was just like "but money."

What ever happened to the days of just applying to every major and going with the one that picked you up first? People are getting picky these days.

To stay relevant to the thread just like G4 I think F9 will probably get more quality applicants. DEN, LAS, and NYC attract people solely due to the location.

And no, you don't make $100k to start there, but $80k is more than enough to be comfortable.
Can confirm. I’ve lived in Denver for 6 years and I’ve managed to afford it as a commuting Dispatcher at a regional. Even if I were to go to a mainline in another city I’d still likely be commuting for a few years due to certain life commitments.

Before I did that the most I ever made in one year at my previous job in Denver (while working a hell of a lot of OT) was like 72k and I got by okay. Rent has gone up significantly there over the last few years, but where hasn’t it?

But yeah I 100% agree with you on the concept that pay isn’t the only QOL factor. One only needs to look at B6 dispatchers and the COL in NYC to see that in action, and they have no shortage of applicants every time they open up. But yet every job posting that rolls out for B6 you get the “BuT yOu CoUlD gO tO tExAs AnD mAkE sO mUcH MoRe!” comments on here.

What ever happened to the days of just applying to every major and going with the one that picked you up first? People are getting picky these days.
I think a year ago this industry afforded that mindset due to the hiring frenzy. As much as QOL should be a considering factor, I feel like its back to the "take the first one you get" mode... Which is why I've got 4 applications in at this point. Throwing $H!t at the wall and seeing what sticks lol.

To stay relevant to the thread just like G4 I think F9 will probably get more quality applicants. DEN, LAS, and NYC attract people solely due to the location.
Think there has been a generational shift as well to "my employer needs to fit my needs" too. Rather than accept whatever, people are choosing to be in places they desire to be in more. Also, as said above, the hiring frenzy allowed for pickiness.

I remember not long ago applying for everyone regional or regional like job just to start, now some newbies hop between our go straight to a major.

Think there has been a generational shift as well to "my employer needs to fit my needs" too. Rather than accept whatever, people are choosing to be in places they desire to be in more. Also, as said above, the hiring frenzy allowed for pickiness.

I remember not long ago applying for everyone regional or regional like job just to start, now some newbies hop between our go straight to a major.
That’s exactly what I remember too. Not judging anyone being picky I was just curious. It seems like the mindset changed so much over the last 3 years.

When I got my license I remember applying for every regional and willing to move across the country for $15ish/hr. It even seems crazy to me looking back.

This. I’m at B6 and life in the tri state area (suburbs, not VCOL Manhattan) and never thought of applying anywhere else. I love it in this region for what it offers and don’t mind paying extra for it.

This. I’m at B6 and life in the tri state area (suburbs, not VCOL Manhattan) and never thought of applying anywhere else. I love it in this region for what it offers and don’t mind paying extra for it.

I’ve lived in Dallas, Texas for a few years and hated it. Like was mentioned in this thread it’s all a flat subburb with not much else around. I’m in the camp of not applying somewhere solely for money and location/QOL is more important to me. I’m happy being in the northeast and all it offers despite never living here before joining B6. AS/PNW is probably the only location I would ever consider but I’m very happy where I’m at.

With that said, with hiring slowing down, just get your app in where you can and then move to where you want to be long term. That’s what I did.

That’s exactly what I remember too. Not judging anyone being picky I was just curious. It seems like the mindset changed so much over the last 3 years.

When I got my license I remember applying for every regional and willing to move across the country for $15ish/hr. It even seems crazy to me looking back.
i started at 15.66/hr at psa in 2019. when i left in 2021, it was 17.78/hr. Now they start at 23/hr. Time flies (pun intended)

i started at 15.66/hr at psa in 2019. when i left in 2021, it was 17.78/hr. Now they start at 23/hr. Time flies (pun intended)
It blows my mind how much of a wage disparity exists in this industry, I get that Ohio is a relatively affordable place to live but west coast carriers like OO and YV weren't exactly paying that great back then (or now even) when compared to the cost of living. Even before F9's recent TA they really didn't pay enough to justify Denver COL. So shoutout to G4 for being the catalyst in the ULCC segment.

I love how everyone gets so critical of where people want to work/live for the rest of their lives lmao

If someone wants to live in Dallas denver Atlanta etc, that's their personal choice. Saying one city is better than another is almost purely subjective

Also, saying X state has no income tax is bad argument, you're making that up in other ways. Seen that argued way too much here

And I just want to add: yes, go to whichever major hires you first. You may not get another chance. But the question was "why would you leave AA/Delta/Etc to go to one of the Mid-Majors?" Once you start making more than 20/hr you can start realizing what you actually want from life. You can afford to live and pick what direction you want your life to go rather than just barely surviving on a regional salary

crazy. no state income in tx, saving a ton and earning a ton. wonder what they dont like.. the delta one surprises me more
Fwiw my COL is double in TX what it was in OH. It's no NYC, but it's expensive living here.

Also, as far as AA applicants, they could have been one of the several that has been involuntarily separated from the company over the last year. Or could be somebody that just prefers to be somewhere else.

crazy. no state income in tx, saving a ton and earning a ton. wonder what they dont like.. the delta one surprises me more

It's really not that crazy. Dallas is also an unmitigated dump. The only thing it has going for it are the people and the barbeque. Urban planning never occurred to any govt types here. They just plop random strip malls with chain stores and chili's everywhere. The roads are bad and the drivers worse, and its like 107 for 3 months straight.

I dont mind because i like my carrier, but if i didnt, i would hop on out asap.

It's really not that crazy. Dallas is also an unmitigated dump. The only thing it has going for it are the people and the barbeque. Urban planning never occurred to any govt types here. They just plop random strip malls with chain stores and chili's everywhere. The roads are bad and the drivers worse, and its like 107 for 3 months straight.

I dont mind because i like my carrier, but if i didnt, i would hop on out asap.
Half the roads are bad, the other half are toll roads.

Back