Features you'd like to see at Jetcareers

Dougs' good, but he's not a miracle worker:D

Indeed, I know this.

Okay...here's another feature I'd like to see...similar to Mail Goggles...

Between the hours of...say...midnight and three a.m. for a user's timezone, the system would not let you post without performing a couple of math problems or something else that measured cognitive functions. This would prevent (or at least deter to some extent) drunk posting. And then Doug would get fewer emails saying, "Oh, Crap...can you delete that please?"

'Cos once you put it on the net...it's there to stay.

I'd like to see a wiki of sorts. There are a lot of duplicate posts asking the same questions every month and it would be nice to direct them to a static page a wiki rather than searching for an old post to link or re-answering the question. A wiki could also be used to maintain some of the things in sticky threads, like the furlough tracking thread in the airline forum. It would be a nice addition and eventually when some good content has been created by some us it could augment the overall website.

If you all want the accident case studies backI can easily ramp them up again. There wasn't much call for them before though....

I try to find accidents from various causes and break them down into a useful learning tool for pilots, adding my own opinions and experience into them.

Would LOVE this. I asked Doug for an accident investigation forum a year or so ago and he said "shut up Bozo, we aren't doing that". Actually, he was nice and they listed reasons why they hadn't done that - and if I recall one of them was the lack of someone that could keep the thread on tack and make it a really useful learning tool. I would be in favor of this.

Maybe we could get Safety Engineer back on site as well.

Has the idea of regional (i.e. southeast or northeast... not as in the airline type) forums been kicked around?

And taking this one step further - if you have regional forums...perhaps you form regional "chapters" like the EAA. One of Doug's consistant beefs is that more people are on the site, but fewer people are doing M&G's. Perhaps a structure - like Regional (or smaller) chapters, with a set meeting time and place, would make it easier to plan and carry through with M&G's? It would be something people could plan in advance for (the Third Tuesday of every month is the JC M&G at xyz bar or resturant or whatever. Newbies could also be invited. Just a thought.

I would like to see more text from a post when I 'mouse over' it. Like on APC you get a few sentences or a paragraph. There are a lot of subject lines to posts that are "Interesting Flight" or "Weird Question" and if the mouse over were expanded I would know sooner if I had the knowledge to respond or if it is a question I have.

I dig the podcast idea too. :rawk:

Forum for Airline Pilots (password protected) and a separate forum for other that would like to ask airline pilots questions...

If you all want the accident case studies backI can easily ramp them up again. There wasn't much call for them before though....

I try to find accidents from various causes and break them down into a useful learning tool for pilots, adding my own opinions and experience into them.

I used to really enjoy reading those.

Alex.

How about a directory of the CFIs on the site. This way if someone decides to pursue a rating or just needs a BFR, they could search the database and find one of our house CFIs.

How about a directory of the CFIs on the site. This way if someone decides to pursue a rating or just needs a BFR, they could search the database and find one of our house CFIs.

Oooh. That's a great idea. JC CFI Registry.

I really think a section on Industry Knowledge would be very useful. When I first started I had no idea what it meant to hold a line or how a base was assigned. At the top of the section could be a FAQ with brief synopses on what it means to "hold a line", how base assignment works, how upgrades work, and any other useful information. The section could break down airlines, What majors contract what regionals to fly what airplanes and what unions represent who. Current news regarding contract negotiations, pay scales, work rules or base openings and closings. There could be a section for each airline that has all the important information that can only be edited by mods and then a discussion section for threads dealing with the industry. Current pilots can pass on knowledge to beginners in an effort to start the learning process before we get to the airlines.

Another feature I think would be cool is a voting system for each thread based on "usefulness". There are many very informative threads that have been lost. If a person finds a thread helpful, they can check it. If the thread gets over a certain number of useful responses it could be put into a section of "useful" threads inside that sub section, much like the mind numbing topics section in "General Topics".

How about the ability to find members in a particular city? For example, If I will be visiting or laying over, I would like to be able to search for JC members in that city for a possible get together.

How about the ability to find members in a particular city? For example, If I will be visiting or laying over, I would like to be able to search for JC members in that city for a possible get together.

Hey, darling, this here isn't a dating service....:p

I dig that!......when I have more than the normal 9 hours for a layover. ;)

I found all of those very well worth reading.

Like the CFI directory idea from N826AW!
Also vote for a directory by city state or region so people can find each other as mentioned by Calcapt.

Forum for Airline Pilots (password protected) and a separate forum for other that would like to ask airline pilots questions...
Wouldn't that go against the JC spirit of open communication about even the gnarly underbelly of our respective bits of this industry? I've learned much more just lurking in the airline pilot, OOTSK, and other forums than I would have if I'd just posted questions.

Wouldn't that go against the JC spirit of open communication about even the gnarly underbelly of our respective bits of this industry? I've learned much more just lurking in the airline pilot, OOTSK, and other forums than I would have if I'd just posted questions.

Yea, you and MANAGEMENT. They love to check out these and other forums to see whats going on.

fair point I guess...seems like it wouldn't be too hard for one of them to register on here and pose as an airline pilot if they wanted in that bad.

Back