F-15 Incident caught on tape @ Kadena AB

Mikey_G

About 2 weeks ago here at Kadena, an F-15 IFE'ed in with landing gear problems, told tower they were going to engage the barrier, this video was the outcome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-wkafLs1pU

Pilot was ok, barrier did exactly what it was supposed to do, save the pilots life, and safely bring the aircraft to a stop.

A local Japanese news crew took the video. These guys sit outside our fences daily waiting for something like this to happen. God only knows how many videos and pictures they got of me jacking up my landings :)

They do, as do F-16s, for emergency landing purposes like this incident. They're not designed to be regularly used and are somewhat flimsier than the navy's hooks.

HH-60CC said:
A local Japanese news crew took the video. These guys sit outside our fences daily waiting for something like this to happen. God only knows how many videos and pictures they got of me jacking up my landings :)

hehe, I remember those guys from when I lived at Yokota. They would have ladders and be looking over the fence with a bunch of cameras and such.

khysanth said:
Where is this airfield?

Okinawa, Japan. Its one of the tiny tiny islands south of the main islands of Japan.

japan-okinawa%20map.jpg

Damn. The pilot talking at the end needs a hair cut. Nice of him to speak Japanese to the locals though. ( Public Affairs loves it when you do that ). He looks almost Japanese though. Glad he didn't bust up the plane really bad and got out OK.

Yeah I know :) I spend already too much time around the USAF. In a little over a month or so we have had a nasty spike in mishaps (fortunately no one killed ) 4 F-16s crashed, C-5B broken up on landing approach after some kind of engine failure event, That F-15 above, Another F-15 at the depot FOD'ed out an engine in flight after injesting a part of the aircraft that came off for what ever reason.... with really bad results ( Pilot and airframe got back OK ). Hope it's the end of this cycle. Geez.

don't forget the B-1. i work for the air guard at their headquarters and there is a little bit of a cycle there as well. a lot of dropped objects lately and some other oddities.

In January we had an F-15 go scuba diving into the pacific, that why the Japanese are all pissed at us right now, between that crash, and this one on the runway...

Willdathrill said:
don't forget the B-1. i work for the air guard at their headquarters and there is a little bit of a cycle there as well. a lot of dropped objects lately and some other oddities.

Duh.. forgot that one. Too many mishaps to keep track of :confused:

I think that was about the time we had an MD-11 there and we had to stop all ground ops for that whole deal...

If the Air Force would put some quality landing gear (i.e. Navy) on their A/C they wouldn't have these problems.

Back