ExpressJet / ASA dispatch interview?

I interviewed with them in the fall. Took an easy written quiz with basic dispatch questions before the interview. The interview portion was the basic HR type questions. Ultimately I decided not to go with them. Their next class is mid February.

Triple4 how long was the test and what kind of question
I'm going on Tuesday and want to make sure I ace the test
thanks

Wendyski...sorry I didnt reply earlier, I havent been on in a few days. It was approximately 40 questions. Basic dispatch stuff...identify what type of front this is, decoding a METAR and TAF, etc. A couple of other questions like what type of aircraft does expressjet not operate.

wendyski said:
Intrview done.......very indepth talked for a hour and a quiz. Did anyone who had.a interview witj xjet get a offer that day?

Can you go into any more detail regarding your experience?

they gave.me some Dispatch situations and asked me how I would handle them. the quiz had some questions about abbreviations weather and fuel like stated earlier pretty basic but most airlines dont give s 40 question test .They said they were hiring 10 for a Feb class..........

Here's my interview for everyone... Good lucky everyone.

Met with Dispatch Training Manager, and Jack Engberg, GM of OCC.

Was given a 20 question test on simple W&B question (if X amount of people are 190 pounds) how many people are inboard if the total is 11,000+ pounds?

XNA is the answer for Fayetteville, AR.

What is consisted in Min Fuel on the release?

What are required items on a release? Fuel, etc...

Name the 3 fronts listed on map given.

What kind of pressure system is shown?

Read a radar summary chart and tell how high and fast cell is moving.

What types of aircraft does ASA/ExpressJet fly? E120 was a type, but no longer on certificate.

Read a TAF and answer 3 questions on it.

The was an FAR question to ask if you would break the FAR or go what Management said to do.

There were 4 fuel calculations on the last page (diagram of 3 different aircraft were given) and find out how much fuel you needed.

After the test, I was asked standard HR questions, why dispatch, etc.

*****Make sure you take extra copies of resume with you - the ASA system will pull your first resume you ever submitted, so be prepared.*****.

I was asked a what would you do, flight diverts due to WX, aircraft enroute diverts with a generator offline, or a CA who wants their paperwork yesterday.

Starting pay for ASA is $15.52 and ExpressJet is $15.32, but ExpressJet gets a $75.00 monthly license override. Training will be about 8 weeks, M-F 0800-1700 for first month. Class will hopefully begin on 28 FEB 13.

Applicants with aviation experience *MIGHT* go to ERJ side. Less experienced *MIGHT* go to CRJ side.

American Eagle flying starts next week.

After all that fun, you get fingerprinted in HR,then sent for drug screen. You are not offered the job until they call you, but they will have the expense of all the forms/security stuff before just to be sure.

Questions? Please let me know.

8 weeks? Does that include OJT, all tests, and your FAM ride? If not, that seems a bit ridiculous and a waste of everyone's time. I cringe at the thought.

Just my 2 cents

yeah the '"training" is a new method where any company in any field, can basically wash you out of the program without really firing you. It also gives them many "outs" if they decide you don't fit. It's a big HR scam.

Also, I guess I missed it in the thread, but where is the SOC and what's the diff between ASA and Exjet?

And GOOD LUCK to all of you!!!

I kinda figured it was something like that unfortunately.... shoot my last flying gig (which ended up being a bust for me) was just over three weeks of training (weekends off) and it included INDOC, systems, flight training and a type rating ride. It was for a turbo prop and the company had a very basic set of OpSpecs but still. In fact, the INDOC lasted about 2-3 days longer then it really needed to just to check off the box.

My last dispatch job was three days or four days of INDOC (mostly covering the large amount of unique OpSpecs the company had and the intranet system) and like a week of OJT. Granted I came in with extensive knowledge on one of the aircraft we operated, as well as ETOPS experience, but I was working a shift about two weeks in.

The SOC is at ATL (on the airport). I have a friend who works there and he says its night and day between the CRJ and ERJ sides. That is all I know about the dispatch side of things at Xjet however.

But in all seriousness..... good luck to those interested! Sounds like you can move up in seniority quickly there.

The 8 weeks of training includes everything. Your first month will be basic indoc, systems, familiarity with aircraft and airports, along with WX. After a month or so you begin to spread your wings beginning to work a desk with a shadow Dispatcher making sure your comfortable with what is going on. Then you'll have a line check, FAM ride, and be out of training.

There is no difference between ASA and ExpressJet. I use that simply because its easier to understand between ERJ and CRJ. Their OCC is just off the airport property on the north side by the FL/WN hangar.

One thing to point out, the Dispatchers on the ERJ side have average just under 5 years, when the CRJ side has almost 9 years on average. When I worked at ASA before, try dd not hire dispatchers very often. A majority of their senior Dispatchers have been there 20+ years, until some of them went to Delta. Me personally, I'd rather have that type of stability instead of other regionals that consistently are hiring Dispatchers. Of course, that's my 2 cents and mean nothing negative about any airline.

Some more info...

As far as the diversion, I said the MX diversion was 1. I said the WX diversion was second, and last the CA can wait his pretty little head!

I did not get any feedback, they took my test once I was being led an round to the OCC. I hope I did well... I started to overanalyze everything while I was waiting for Jack and Mike.

The fuel calculations were like if you have 9800 pounds of fuel for burn, and you burn 4000 an hour, how man mins of fuel do you have?

If your APU burns 220 pounds/hour, how long can you have your APU on if you have 900 pounds?

There was another one but I can't remember it now.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

The major difference between the ASA/Express Jet sides are as follows:
Express Jet: ERJ aircraft, 100% United Operations... Hubs are IAH, CLE, ORD, EWR.. twice as many flights daily.

ASA side: CRJ's 200, 700, 900.. Flies for mainly delta, ATL / DTW but also United IAD and American DFW.

Both sides are on separate contracts, but work in the same OCC.

I do know that a few employees and former employees interviewed for the job and probably will be hired over everyone else.

Back