Drop the Roger crap??

My personal favorite's are... "We'll do all that", and, "Here we go".
I'm only a turboprop pilot so I'm not aloud to use those.

aight then...I was just checkin! I understand that there the "professional" ways of doing something (correct by the AIM), and the slacker ways.....I FULLY understand when I need to use proper phraseology and when I can slack! I just wanted some feedback on what you guys - the REAL professional aviators ;) thought about it all

The only think i could say about your CFII is that he wants you to repeat everything the controller tells you and thats why he wants you to can the "roger". I tell my students to do this because if the if you don't understand what they tell you, instead of just saying "roger" you say back what you think they told you. If you are wrong, they will correct you. If all you say is roger, they assume you understand and will comply with what they say. It is in your best interest to repeat everything back to the controller.

There is nothing wrong with saying it but you better make sure you understand what the controller is telling you.

There is a guy at our field who says "roger" in stead of "affirmative" and it sound so dumb. I will admit to this mistake. It sounded really weird and i was like, "did i really just say that?"

There is another guy who says "affirmative" instead of "roger" after every transmission with the tower. This sounds really REALY dumb. He also talks in a robot voice. (i guess you would have to be there)

There are certain phrases (like WilCo and No Joy) i don't teach my student's because I don't ever use them. I'm assuming they are military.

I just have to laugh to my self when people talk on the radio and they are saying things that just don't make sense.

I would say since "Roger" is in the aviator's vernacular, use it, but use it correctly .

It can be useful when no other response makes sense.
"Skyhawk 35LlamaUnicorn, birds reported on final for 13"
"Roger, November 35LlamaUnicorn"

The problem is that many pilots seem to use "Roger" when they actually mean "Affirmative" or "WILCO".

The problem is that many pilots seem to use "Roger" when they actually mean "Affirmative" or "WILCO".
Agreed.

But what gripes me are the flight schools who teach their students to parrot EVERYTHING back verbatim, rather than analyzing what they've been told and reading back only the vital elements. Consider such a gem as: "Griffin 12, you've left bravo airspace, radar service terminated, squawk one-two-zero-zero, change to advisory frequency approved". Hearing all that read back verbatim just grates on my nerves, especially on a busy approach control freq.

Call me crazy, but *I* would simply reply, "Griffin 12, Squawking VFR, switching".

He has a very unique personality. He has smacked many students with a ruler while in the airplane! Thats just the way he is and I've gotten used to it. I think it actually makes me perform a little better knowing that he will get a little "upset" if I make a boo boo. Plus he has high expectations of me (I have them for myself as well), and I think he is trying to push me to be better. I have no problem with being pushed, but sometimes it can be a little overboard!

I know this thread isn't really about instructors as much as it is about phraseology, but aside from the 'roger' issue....ummm...a "unique" personality? I had an instructor that sounds like him, and dropped him (unfortunately it took me a while to figure it out). If it works for you, great, but dont make excuses for him if his behavior is unprofessional. If it makes you perform better, great, I think a lot of people can excel in that situation, but don't forget that you have a choice when it comes to instructors.

Best advice I ever received (actually from a fellow JC'er) when I was in that situation was: if you find yourself flying the airplane in an effort to avoid getting yelled at, instead of in the spirit of learning good technique, it's time to find someone else. When you are just starting out, flying in an effort to please your instructor, in a cockpit where tension & anxiety & fear are teaching tools, wont make you a better pilot, IMHO. There's a difference between being 'pushed' and 'overboard', (and it's supposed to be fun as well)
Again, this was just my experience

There is a time and a place when roger is appropriate.

30 miles out, "Cessna12345 advise information Alpha @ destination" - Roger

(Ground) - Cessna 12345 taxi to ramp via bravo, cross runway 29 alpha, hotel echo. - not so much

It can be useful when no other response makes sense.
"Skyhawk 35LlamaUnicorn, birds reported on final for 13"
"Roger, November 35LlamaUnicorn"

Even then I'd chose between the tail number/call sign or just a straight up Roger.

So my CFII that Im currently using says that under no circumstance should I say Roger. Occasionally, I do say it. Is that bad? If so, why do I constantly hear center and other professional pilots use the term? Is it acceptable? If so, why is my instructor so against it? I've tried to get him to explain but he insists its not to be used and that is the extent of his explanation.

I say roger all the time hopeing that people like your instructor are listening. They just hate it. I was once behind a ups takeoff, on the departure hand off they just said "roger ups 123". Good enough for me.

I say roger all the time hopeing that people like your instructor are listening. They just hate it. I was once behind a ups takeoff, on the departure hand off they just said "roger ups 123". Good enough for me.

well if UPS says Roger, thats good enough for me!

you cant knock a pilot for wanting to sound cool, roger. apparently though, you can knock a pilot with a ruler, roger that.

ive gotten a lot of good unorthodox training from instructors; i once had an instructor tell me to "treat the airplane like a three dollar hooker" and it remedied my apprehensiveness perfectly, but when it starts interfereing with your concentration, you need to make a change.

I am unable to find even one "Roger Crap" in any phone books. I found an "Otha Crap" and a "John Crap," but nor Roger. My faith is ever so slightly dimished. :eek:

Back