Drop the Roger crap??

You want some real commo hell, a place where clear/concise/correct simply does not exist. Go to DVT and listen to the myriad of TransPac planes.......

....ugggh.

You're screwed when you're flying over a soviet bloc country and they assign flight levels in meters. Climb maintain, exactly, flight level 7000 meters.
That's why we have Feet to meters charts in the airplane!!:D No reason to make it harder on yourself than necessary!

And, just FYI...it's either 6900 or 7200 M for cruising altitudes, depending on direction (22,600' or 23,600').;)

That's why we have Feet to meters charts in the airplane!!:D No reason to make it harder on yourself than necessary!

And, just FYI...it's either 6900 or 7200 M for cruising altitudes, depending on direction (22,600' or 23,600').;)

We've got about three copies in the cockpit.

Another instance where having a relief pilot is fantastic:

"Hey, what's 7000 meters standard in 'Merican, Sparky?"

I am jealous. I can see myself break out the calculator and run the number. :D

I always feel like those "Nerds" you see on NASA films - pens, tie, white shirt and black pant. Now, I need a pocket protector. :p

Another instance where having a relief pilot is fantastic:

"Hey, what's 7000 meters standard in 'Merican, Sparky?"

Do you have the "Meters" button on the 76?

We still back it up with the card. 'Course, the classic was all card, and the #3 INS to see if you were in the ballpark.

Another pet peeve.....Waiting in line for departure, number 3, and calling tower to say "Number 3 in sequence for departure".

I tell my students not to bug the tower until we are number one and the runway and final are clear.

The "sequence" thing and the "Cessna 123 rolling" must be extracted from the modern lexicon.

Someone said, "Airliner 123, number three in sequence behind the mad dog, ready for takeoff" a few years ago and I wanted to drop the aft airstair and go whizz on his airplane.

You want some real commo hell, a place where clear/concise/correct simply does not exist. Go to DVT and listen to the myriad of TransPac planes.......

"Commo"?

Brother, I'm sensing a little too much BALO time in your past.

:confused:

Most ex-military guys I know refer to communications as Commo.

Do you find that particularly uncommon?

In the AF, our ground guys use commo, while in the air it's "comm." As an A-10 FAC background guy, I spent a fair amount of time attached to the Army as an ALO/Ground FAC, controlling airstrikes while attached at the BN level. The Army-ism of commo has stuck more than the AF side of comm, and it often shows.

Hacker happened to notice that. That I'd spent a little too much time riding an M-113 or an M-998.

In the AF, our ground guys use commo, while in the air it's "comm." As an A-10 FAC background guy, I spent a fair amount of time attached to the Army as an ALO/Ground FAC, controlling airstrikes while attached at the BN level. The Army-ism of commo has stuck more than the AF side of comm, and it often shows.

Hacker happened to notice that. That I'd spent a little too much time riding an M-113 or an M-998.

Interesting.

Well, if you have been attacheded to Army units then you know that we use "Commo" for land, sea, and air! :)

Interesting.

Well, if you have been attacheded to Army units then you know that we use "Commo" for land, sea, and air! :)

Yup. It's an Army-ism, and carried over by our guys that work with the Army directly....our TACP/CCT teams.

Back