Drop the Roger crap??

Funny you should mention that! He has ran a lot of students off from what I hear. He has a very unique personality. He has smacked many students with a ruler while in the airplane! Thats just the way he is and I've gotten used to it. !

Take a lesson from your CFI. Sneak up on him, smack him hard in the back of the head with the AIM and when he asks you for an explanation, tell him, "Because!" You might provide a learning moment by putting a marker between the pages so he can find ROGER. :nana2:

Do it a few times and he will get used to it or leave.

You can learn a lot from an instructor that will push you or be upset that your perform poorly, but physically hitting your or verbally assaulting is way over the line.
-------

I don't know when Tally-ho was taken out if the PCI, but it is gone so that is reserved for CTAF now.
I started using Tally-ho on CTAF after a certain old timer tower controller would always sarcastically come back to me, ..."You have traffic insight!?!?" (insight one word: DEF- the capacity to gain an accurate and deep intuitive understanding of a person or thing). As if the my airplane was "insight" equipped.

After you get passed the urge not to say Tally-ho or keep from laughing when you say it, it is very useful in vicinity of our uncontrolled training airport.

"Roger" more or less says that you received the transmission, but doesn't denote compliance.

"Airliner 123, moderate turbulence reported at FL 350"

"Roger, Airliner 123" <----good

compared to

"Airliner 123, turn left 220, maintain 2000 until established, cleared ILS 22L"

"Roger, Airliner 123" <----bad

I think it gets used in the wrong context alot, as others have pointed out.

My big pet peeves on the radio are "And" and "With You".

I think it gets used in the wrong context alot, as others have pointed out.

My big pet peeves on the radio are "And" and "With You".

Agree.

And= Unnecessary transmission opener.

With You= Department of Redundancy Department. If you're talking, you're "with them"

Or when they combine them all:

"...and Ewesssssair's 426 with you at flight level three five oh..."

Grrr....

I do the "oh" instead of "zero" thing. I'm working on it, but it's a hard habit to break.

Oh, another radio phraseology thread! My favorite! Use some common sense and read the glossary. It's less complicated than about 90% of the other stuff you do. Most of the irritating little mistakes people make are basically harmless. But they're still irritating.

My personal list, in order of transgression

1) "Checkin on"
2) "Roger" when you mean "Affirmative"
3) Unnecessary information (eg. "Well, if I try to make that restriction, I might have some shock cooling here on the IO-520...and we can't go direct MORON because we don't have a GPS"). Just say "unable".
4) "Here we go"
5) Whatever Callsign apostrophe s indicating possession.

On the other hand, these are ok, because I do them

1) Just reading back the altimeter without callsign
2) "with pleasure" when given 250 to the marker ;) I like to think that I'm reinforcing their willingness to let me go fast.

I've also had people look at me sideways for saying "leaving x for y" having been given a crossing restriction earlier. You're supposta do dat! Look it up!

Oh, right, original point of the thread. Well, it's been covered, but Roger is totally legit and you should lay this chump out the next time he hits you with something.

How bout not using that "for" in there.

My list:
!. On/In the Meter
2. On the fish finder
3. a 172 saying they got him on TCAS
4. And my fav and it happened to be a "Gateway"..."Gateway XXX Checking in on board with you at flight level sixteen thousand."

Flying up in Canada for the past few weeks I'm starting to get used to the controllers up here. No matter if you call up with the current ATIS they always say the current ATIS and runway. Your departure runway is given in your clearance. After reading back an instruction they say "check". "Line up and wait" instead of "Position and hold". Told to "contact departure freq###.## after takeoff"' as you are being cleared to takeoff.

"twunny-nahn nahnty two in the meter, fitty-four twunny-seven in the box king air 6 suga pop"

Having used radios in maritime, firefighting and now flying it's funny to read this thread. Although radio protocol is different in all of those, there is one thing that's consistent: People think that anything they wouldn't say is completely uncool.

In maritime, it always scratched me when I heard people say "Wilco". In firefighting it was people using 10-codes, when we had abandoned those several years earlier (also, it was in Texas, so it irked me when the English language was slaughtered and/or abandoned: "Engine 10, come back to where you WAS!").

The funniest thing I've ever heard was at a chemical plant in Louisiana (where the "protocol" is a little back-woods):

Caller- "Sanchez!? How 'bout ya Sanchez!?"

Sanchez - "Go for Dirty!"

I've also had people look at me sideways for saying "leaving x for y" having been given a crossing restriction earlier. You're supposta do dat! Look it up!

maybe they are expecting you to say "vacating x for y"

:sarcasm:

Maybe they don't think he should be using the word "for" in that situation. :hiya:

edit to add: mikecweb beat me to it. I was still on that previous page...

mikecweb beat you to the punch, steve. It's good to know that he's not the only one waiting for me to slip up, though! ;)

My only pet peeve is when people say Roger when they should have said 'Wilco'. Yeah, you heard and understood... but are you going to comply???

Back