Drop the Roger crap??

Agree.

And= Unnecessary transmission opener.

With You= Department of Redundancy Department. If you're talking, you're "with them"

The only time i say "with you" is when i call FSS to open a VFR flight plan because they need to know what frequency to call you back on.
"Great Falls Radio, november four five seven hotel romeo, with you on 122.5"

But you can also just say "over bozeman" and they will know which frequency to call back on.

the one i can't stand is "Any other traffic, please advise" Not necessary in an un-towered airport. If there is any other traffic they would say something. I had a flight instructor start having me say this every time i went to an un-towered airport. I though it was dumb. Then i took my checkride and the examiner laughed and said i did not have to say it. I felt dumb.

Then don't ever try a 'Tally ho' ...the dude just might push you out of the airplane.
lol i love tally ho. There is this dude around here in CAP that likes to say that flying around the CAP plane. Every time I hear it i cringe a little.

Nothing beats "tally ho" from a Cessna.

How bout not using that "for" in there.

My list:
!. On/In the Meter
2. On the fish finder
3. a 172 saying they got him on TCAS
4. And my fav and it happened to be a "Gateway"..."Gateway XXX Checking in on board with you at flight level sixteen thousand."

Flying up in Canada for the past few weeks I'm starting to get used to the controllers up here. No matter if you call up with the current ATIS they always say the current ATIS and runway. Your departure runway is given in your clearance. After reading back an instruction they say "check". "Line up and wait" instead of "Position and hold". Told to "contact departure freq###.## after takeoff"' as you are being cleared to takeoff.

Yah flight levels don't become flight levels until you are above 18,000 feet and the altimeter is set to 29.92. We have guys who come in and say, "flight level zero eight zero"

"twunny-nahn nahnty two in the meter, fitty-four twunny-seven in the box king air 6 suga pop"

Oh. My. God. I'm pretty sure I've heard this exact guy.

the one i can't stand is "Any other traffic, please advise" Not necessary in an un-towered airport. If there is any other traffic they would say something. I had a flight instructor start having me say this every time i went to an un-towered airport. I though it was dumb. Then i took my checkride and the examiner laughed and said i did not have to say it. I felt dumb.

My CFI beat that one into me. It was a big pet peeve of his. And I hear it all the time.

Yah flight levels don't become flight levels until you are above 18,000 feet and the altimeter is set to 29.92. We have guys who come in and say, "flight level zero eight zero"

Ahhhh...young Grasshoper, this is not always the case outside the confines of our little piece of the planet.

For example climbing out of HKG you may be told to maintain FL90. Transition levels are different all over the place. Just a piece of useless trivia that may become useful down the road.

Proper phraseology is "leaving.....climbing/descending to.....".

I know the book says to use "to", but I'm not a big fan of that either since it kind of sounds similar to "two".

Funny how to/two and for/four get on my nerves, but I have trouble getting the oh/zero thing straight in my lexicon. :D

Ahhhh...young Grasshoper, this is not always the case outside the confines of our little piece of the planet.

For example climbing out of HKG you may be told to maintain FL90. Transition levels are different all over the place. Just a piece of useless trivia that may become useful down the road.

This is America damit :D

good to know.

This is America damit :D

good to know.

Yes.....both Transition Altitudes and Transition Levels can vary, depending on which country you're flying in. And you may use something other than QNH. In Kuwait, for example, you set QFE on the ground. Climbing through 3000, you set QNE. Descending through FL050, you reset QFE.

One bad thing i have a habit of saying.

"Chicago Departure, Cessna two zero four tree seven, climbing one thousand six hundred for three thousand..."

I guess i need to stop saying "for"

That's when I say it! He insists I repeat the altimeter setting back to them which I consider good practice so that no error is made, but if it's busy on the freq. I sometimes reply with Roger. DAMN ME TO HELL FOR IT??

in our flying, altimeter settings, headings, and altitudes are required readbacks

the one i can't stand is "Any other traffic, please advise" Not necessary in an un-towered airport. If there is any other traffic they would say something.

Yeah... that one... and also the:

"N123AB is holding short of runway XX, any traffic on base or final please advise"

Look out the window (and listen to CTAF before you pull to the hold short)! See traffic=hold short, Don't see traffic=take off and stop blocking the departure flow.

On the topic of the thread, I don't like "roger" either. I tend to just reply with my tail number:

Controller: "N123AB advise when you have ATIS XX"
Me: "3AB"

Originally Posted by planejay
Maybe they don't think he should be using the word "for" in that situation.

Proper phraseology is "leaving.....climbing/descending to.....".

are you from the media because....I didn't say that

j/k...kinda

I've also had people look at me sideways for saying "leaving x for y" having been given a crossing restriction earlier. You're supposta do dat! It's State Law, look it up!

'mo betta

I will admit, I turn the ICAO talk off in the states.

Bad pilot!! Bad!!

I know the book says to use "to", but I'm not a big fan of that either since it kind of sounds similar to "two".

I understand the objection, but there is still the possibility of ATC interpreting your "two" as the expected "to", but I haven't been able to yet construct a scenario in which that would cause you to hit rock.

Back